10 Easy Ways to Save Money in 2019

Finding ways to save money is kind of my thing. Over the last few years, I’ve put a lot of effort into finding little tips and tricks that can add up to big savings. And, as today is the first day of a brand new year, I decided to compile a list of 10 things you can do to save yourself a little bit of money – and none of them includes making a budget and sticking to it! Make sure you read on to find out more …

Woman putting money into a piggy bank

01. Check Coupon Sites Before Making Any Purchases

Before I buy anything that I want or need, I always do a quick Google search to see whether or not there are any coupon codes I can use to get myself a little bit of money off. And, to be fair, there usually are! When searching for coupons, I use search terms such as ‘Feel Unique Discount Code’ or ‘New Look Coupon Code’, and Google then brings up loads of websites offering a range of different coupon codes. I have to admit that it can be a little time-consuming to find ones that work, but it’s most definitely worth the effort. I’ve scored some seriously big discounts by searching for coupon codes before buying something.

I also recommend signing up to Kids Pass if you’re a parent. They are currently offering a 30-day trial for just £1.00 for new members, and they offer big discounts on things such as cinema tickets and family days out, as well as showing you where you can find places that have ‘kids eat free’ offers. I saved a ton of money using my Kids Pass last year, and will definitely be continuing to use it during 2019.

02. Use Cashback Sites When Making Online Purchases

Before making any online purchases, I always check my favourite cashback sites, Quidco and TopCashback, to see if the retailer I’m buying from is offering any cashback. 9 times out of 10 I find they are, and even if the amount they’re offering seems quite low, it’s still worth clicking through and buying from their site, as it soon adds up to a nice little payout.

03. Buy Necessities in Bulk Whenever You Can

One thing I’ve learned over the last 12 months or so is that if you visit your local supermarket late on in the evening they will often have significantly reduced the price of any products that are nearing their use-by date. And this is a great time to stock up on things you use regularly, such as pre-packed meat and vegetables. I buy as much as I can in bulk and then freeze it until I need it at a later date. As I cook almost all our meals from scratch, it saves me a small fortune. I also tend to buy misshapen canned goods, as they are usually reduced too.

04. Utilise Your Amazon Wishlist

If you’re like me, and have lots of people to buy birthday and Christmas presents for, I highly recommend making an Amazon wishlist of things you’d like to buy them in advance, and then check it every. single. day. Prices on Amazon fluctuate daily (sometimes hourly) and Amazon wishlists show you exactly how much an item has gone up or down in price since you added it. I find this tactic works brilliantly when your kids are invited to a lot of parties, as you can often grab those must-have toys at just a fraction of their recommended retail prices.

And, I’m sure this goes without saying, but if you shop at Amazon a lot, it’s definitely worth investing in Amazon Prime, as you can order until fairly late on in the day and get free next day delivery. I can’t even begin to tell you how many times having a Prime Membership has gotten me out of a pickle when I’ve totally forgotten the kids have a birthday party to attend the next day! LOL.

05. Switch To Energy-Saving Light Bulbs and Unplug Old Appliances

Switching to energy-saving light bulbs is a fairly obvious way to save yourself a little bit of money, but it’s easy to forget about those rarely used appliances you have plugged in around the house. Make it your mission for the day to go around and see if you can unplug some things you’ve totally forgotten are there, such as that alarm clock or television in the spare room. It might not make a big difference, that much is true. But any saving on your electricity bill is better than no saving at all!

Woman looking to save money online

06. Shop Around For Insurance

I know it may seem time-consuming, but don’t take this one lightly. Every year when Nathan’s car insurance renewal comes through, you can guarantee it will be a lot higher than it was the previous one. So, he always gives them a call to ask if they can give him a better deal. And most of the time, they can. On the rare occasion they say no, we’ll visit Compare the Market to find another reputable company who can give us a better deal, and go with them instead. It can often mean a difference of over £100 a month, which isn’t to be sniffed at! We also try to get a better deal on our home insurance through Compare the Market every year as well.

07. Call Your Internet Provider and Energy Companies

Another time-consuming task, but one with the potential to save you a lot of money! A few years ago, we noticed the amount we paid for Sky TV and broadband had increased significantly since we first joined them, and we couldn’t really afford to keep up with the payments. So I gave them a call and explained that we’d been loyal customers for the best part of 10 years and wasn’t really happy with the increase. The customer service team were amazing and reduced our bill so we were paying just a little more than when we first joined, and we could enjoy using their service again without worrying that we were paying over the odds for it.

I did the same with my mobile phone provider last month, and they gave me triple the amount of data I usually get for a lower monthly price! And I’m currently looking at switching energy providers too. I just know there’s a better deal out there for me than the one I have at the moment. I just need to knuckle down and find it!

08. Stop Using Electricity During Peak Hours

Check with your electricity company to see when usage is the cheapest. Doing your laundry and running the dishwasher during off-peak times only can seriously affect your monthly bill.

09. Walk Short Distances Instead Of Driving or Taking The Bus

If you often find yourself jumping in the car or hopping onto the bus to pop somewhere that’s within walking distance, then stop! Not only will the exercise do you good, but you’ll notice that you save yourself a fair amount of money too. I only live in a tiny village, but if I catch the bus to the supermarket and back, it costs me a massive £3.80! It’s ridiculous. I’d rather walk and have extra money to use for other stuff.

10. Make Your Own Takeaway Coffee Instead Of Buying One

And, finally, if you regularly buy a takeaway tea or coffee on your way to work, why not make it at home and take it with you instead? You can get some really nice travel cups these days that will keep your drink nice and warm until you’re ready to drink it. And you’ll find you save yourself a small fortune over the course of the week.

10 Easy Ways to Save Money in 2019

And there you have it – 10 easy-to-implement ways to save money in 2019.
Will you be giving any of them a try? If so, sure to let me know in the comments below.

Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2019 Louise Smith
Post contains affiliate links

1. 02/01/2019 / 1:31 pm

Wonderful ways we can all save money and I saw a couple I plan on using. Like walking more so I can not only save money but lose the weight I want to lose while getting into better shape. As for purchasing Coffee out I never do that. Electricity is handled by my landlord or I would have already switched as I don’t like how much we are paying.

2. 02/01/2019 / 1:40 pm

All great thoughts! I do many of them already. One thing though with bulk buying is that frequently the product is no longer fresh. I have bulk bought nuts and grains which were stale…. You have to buy bulk from a store that sees a lot of people buying bulk otherwise product just sits there getting old….

3. 02/01/2019 / 5:04 pm

I would like to think we are quite savvy, but we never seem to save any at all. I will certainly look into cashback websites and try and start saving more this year.

4. 02/01/2019 / 11:16 pm

Awesome list, I have done a few of these to save and even cut the cable cord years ago. The one thing I haven’t done is the Amazon Wishlist. I will definitely look into that as I have quite a few nieces and nephews 🙂 Thanks for sharing. Happy New Year.
    Samantha recently posted…Lego Store in New York, NY – Only the Best is Good EnoughMy Profile

5. 03/01/2019 / 6:23 am

These are all fabulous tips. My big thing is having hot chocolates out as I find they never taste the same at home!! A weakness I need to address to save those pennies!!

• Louise
      Author
      12/01/2019 / 10:35 pm

Aww, bless ya. I drink a lot of tea when I’m out shopping but I usually get them from McDonald’s and save the stickers so I can get a free 7th cup 🙂

Louise x
      Louise recently posted…Living Arrows – 1/52 {2019}My Profile

6. 03/01/2019 / 6:55 am

These are great! I always try and find a voucher before purchasing online, that’s a big one for me. I’m actually going to try using electricity at non peek times and see how that affects the bill.

7. 03/01/2019 / 7:54 am

I used top cashback last year and saved over £200 for Christmas…..will have to check out Quidco

8. 03/01/2019 / 2:20 pm

Great tips! I need to start using cash back, I never really understood it before. Saving this to implement all of these ideas!

9. 03/01/2019 / 2:46 pm

Some great tips here – especially using the Amazon wishlists to get the best price. I definitely need to work on saving more in 2019!

10. 03/01/2019 / 6:37 pm

super advice here – thank you. It’s reminded me to sign up for cashback sites. The biggest savings I make are switching energy, insurance and broadband hagling. I’ve got an smart meter too which focuses the husband on turning things off at the plug.
    hope you save a fortune this year 🙂

11. 03/01/2019 / 6:37 pm

hope you save a fortune this year 🙂

12. 03/01/2019 / 9:49 pm

Some really great advice there thank you for the reminders. I love the idea of using Amazon wishlists, I have never done this and I use Amazon on a weekly basis most of the time

13. 03/01/2019 / 10:11 pm

Great tips, I like the idea of adding things to my Amazon wish list for presents and keeping an eye on the prices

14. 03/01/2019 / 10:32 pm

Fantastic tips thank you for sharing. Any ideas to save money is always appreciated! Will definitely try the electricity saving advise and use the washing machine at off peak times. I hadn’t considered this before!

15. 04/01/2019 / 10:05 am

These are all really great ideas! I need to switch energy providers, it is the one thing that we waste a lot of money on! Oh and Virgin broadband/TV package – ridiculous LOL!
    Sonia recently posted…#Project365 – Week Fifty TwoMy Profile

16. 04/01/2019 / 6:17 pm

Some fab advice here – especially for people like me who just can’t manage the whole “set a budget and stick to it” thing! I remembered to find a coupon for dinner today though and saved myself twenty quid 😊

17. 05/01/2019 / 12:25 am

TopCashBack is my top tip – every year, in November, I cash in what I’ve earned and it goes towards xmas presents. Last year it was just shy of £400

18. 05/01/2019 / 12:29 am

Great tips and often money saving ideas are good for the planet, like walking more, using low energy lightbulbs and taking your own coffee. I would also add asking yourself before buying anything – “Do I really need this?” and not being sucked into impulse buys.
    Rosie (@greenrosielife) recently posted…Is convenience killing the planet?My Profile

19. 05/01/2019 / 10:54 pm

Great advice, here. I love buying in bulk, I’m a food and toilet roll hoarder!

20. 06/01/2019 / 3:17 pm

I should really get into the habit of shopping around for cheaper rates for electricity and water suppliers. Good tips here!

21. 06/01/2019 / 8:10 pm

Gosh a long list of great money saving ideas. I’d better start working on it. Definitely need to save some money this year.

22. Rachel
    07/01/2019 / 9:05 am

Great Post! Some fab tips.

23. 07/01/2019 / 4:13 pm

I do make my own tea and I love it! You know, I never thought of unplugging old appliances, but will keep that in mind. And I’m going to the store today. Hopefully, I will remember to stop and check their coupons. I don’t have a printer, so can’t use the ones I find online. Unless I could capture them with my phone, somehow.

24. Leila
    07/01/2019 / 5:00 pm

Great tips! Love them all.

25. 07/01/2019 / 9:01 pm

Love this advice. I regularly do quite a few of the things you already mentioned but have never made an Amazon wishlist and I do a lot of shopping on Amazon! I will start doing that from now on. Thank you!

26. 08/01/2019 / 6:35 am

As we’re moving back in with my parents once my flat has sold I don’t have to worry too much about utilities etc, but I need to start using cashback sites more x

27. 08/01/2019 / 4:50 pm

I use cashback sites all the time now and saved over £200 towards Christmas this year

28. 11/01/2019 / 12:18 pm

These are some great tips, Lou! I always use cashback sites when buying things and also take my own coffee out with me in the mornings. It has saved me so much money as I used to always buy a coffee from Costa every morning that cost around £4 a day x
    Charli Bruce recently posted…Exploring Covent GardenMy Profile