5 Ways To Make Next Christmas Easier

I know, I know! Christmas is well and truly behind us, and most people have already taken down their decorations and put them safely away in the loft until next year. So why am I sat here writing up yet another Christmas-related post? I must be crazy, right? But wait a second, and hear me out …

As much as I love and enjoy Christmas (I always do), I have to be honest and say that most years I end up getting so stressed out over everything I end up making myself ill. And this year I even found myself getting tearful at the most inopportune times because I was worried sick that nothing was going to be ready for the big day. It was horrible.

So, each time something cropped up where I thought “I must remember not to let this happen next year”, I made a note of it in my phone, and decided to write up a post talking about the things I wanted to try and do in advance next Christmas to make things a little easier on myself for once. And hopefully, it will help you guys out too. Are you ready to see what things are on there? If so, let’s get going!

Oscar on Christmas Eve

01. Buy My Cards In The January Sales and Have Them Ready To Write In November

When I was younger, I always used to bulk-buy Christmas cards in the January sales and then aim to have them written and ready to hand out at the beginning of December. But, sadly, that all stopped one year when I accidentally misplaced all of the cards when we moved house, and I had to buy them all again nearer December.

These days, I always end up buying my cards at the last minute and end up frantically trying to write and deliver them all before Christmas Eve. It’s a nightmare! And one that I’d like not to have to live through again. So, when I take the kids to spend some of their Christmas money on Saturday, I’m going to pop into The Card Factory and stock up on cards for next year. I might even see if I can grab some discounted wrapping paper and gift tags while I’m there.

02. Start Shopping Early

This is something I did this year, and it definitely made things a lot easier. I was lucky enough to win an Instagram photo competition where the prize was a £250 John Lewis voucher. So I stocked up on as many gifts for the kids as I could with that, and then just added a few little stocking fillers to the pile as we got closer to Christmas.

I’d like to be able to do this again next Christmas if I can. And I’ve started popping a few quid into a savings account whenever I can afford to, so hopefully I’ll accumulate enough over the next 9 or 10 months to get them both the more expensive gifts on their lists. And I’ll also be trying to pick up as many gifts as I can in the sales this year to keep my total spend down. That way, we’ll hopefully be able to afford to do some fun activities in the run-up to Christmas for once!

03. Wrap EVERYTHING before Christmas Eve

This Christmas, for the first time ever, I almost cracked having everything wrapped before Christmas Eve. But somewhere along the line, it all fell apart, and I still ended up with a fair few gifts that hadn’t been wrapped by the 24th. Which meant I had to rush them all first thing in the morning and then try to sneakily deliver them to friends and family without Oscar, my youngest, seeing me. Another nightmare!

I spent most of my day faffing around sorting them out instead of enjoying spending time with the kids as I’d planned to. And come tea time I was absolutely exhausted. Which is nothing new on Christmas Eve, I’m afraid. So, next year, there will be no excuses. I’m going to have every single gift wrapped and ready to go before Christmas Eve, no matter who it’s for. And instead of pratting about doing the stuff that should have been done days (or even weeks) before, I’m going to enjoy Christmas Eve with my babies for once. That’s a promise!

04. Decorate Early

Ah, this is a biggie for me, as I feel like I’ve let the kids down with how little we’ve decorated for Christmas over the last couple of years. But, basically, everything gets chucked up in the loft at the end of December and then no matter how much I nag at Nathan to fetch stuff down at the beginning of the following December, it never gets brought down until halfway through the month. And by this point, I’m far too stressed out to bother with half the trimmings. We’ve only decorated the tree for the last couple of years, and the rest of the decorations have been left in the box. It’s heartbreaking.

So, this December I decided to stick the boxes of decorations in the airing cupboard instead. And, hopefully, I’ll remember they’re not up in the loft and I can get trimmed up nice and early next year. I’m thinking tinsel across the fireplace, stars hanging from the curtain poles and even a candle bridge or two to light up the windows. It’s will be amazing! We most definitely can’t spend a third Christmas without decorations. We must look like complete and utter Scrooge’s!

05. Make A List Of Where Everything Is

Next year I want to treat myself to a lovely Christmas Planner from Doris & Fred, and I’m going to make sure that I pop a list inside it to remind me of exactly where anything Christmas related has been stored. Why? Because every single year you can guarantee that something will go missing and it’s all my fault. Last year it was a Vamps Calendar I’d bought Stacey for Christmas (which she ended up getting on January 4th) and this year it was the gift tags I’d bought for the presents months in advance. Everything ended up getting wrapped without them, and I still haven’t come across them yet, despite having hunted for them several times. Never mind, though. It’s too late to do anything about them now. But you can see why I need to write myself a list, can’t you?!

And there you have it, my ideas for trying to ensure next Christmas is as easy and stress-free as possible. I hope you enjoyed having a read.

5 Ways To Make Next Christmas Easier

Do you have any other tips for making next Christmas easier?
If so, be sure to let me know in the comments below.

Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2019 Louise Smith

1. 05/01/2019 / 8:02 pm

Love this post! Christmas can be an extremely stressful time for some but if we put your advice to good use I am sure we would all have a stress free one!
    Charolotte recently posted…New Year, New Me?My Profile

2. 05/01/2019 / 8:43 pm

Great list! I managed to be organised pretty early this year but I definitely need to do number 5. Every single year I end up finding presents stashed on about the 29th

3. Leila
    05/01/2019 / 9:14 pm

Love this list! I need to try to be more organised next year.

4. 06/01/2019 / 3:36 pm

Don’t even bother with wrapping I say! We just bought big personalised sacks and filled them with the presents. 🙂

5. 06/01/2019 / 4:22 pm

I also have plans to make Christmas easier this year and I am saving all my change and that is all we will spend on Christmas. Because each week I throw a $10 bill into the jar as well. Then I have another jar I put another $10 into that I will use for events we want to attend during Christmas or to take some time away. As I find items on sale this year I will purchase one Gift a month for someone in my family which can be either a Birthday Present or Christmas. I have a $25 budget set for this. If I can get more than one Gift a week I will. Now I may not have everything we need once Christmas comes but this will help. As for wrapping I do Reviews year round and accumulate Gifts so I bought wrapping paper on sale and will be wrapping the last Saturday of the month so I don’t spend weeks in December wrapping.

6. 06/01/2019 / 8:15 pm

I’m never that organised, my friend is like you and buys all her cards and gifts for the following year in the sales, she is always telling me to. I just can’t bare to think about Christmas in January.

7. 06/01/2019 / 9:32 pm

This post is life! Every Christmas Eve, Mr.A and I spend hours wrapping presents. We did manage to buy them in advance for 2018 but I will definitely be buying Christmas cards etc in January!

8. 07/01/2019 / 12:53 am

There is a problem with wrapping everything early – my memory is so bad I end up buying duplicates

9. 07/01/2019 / 8:41 am

These are all really brilliant ideas. I think we are all guilty of putting too much oressure on ourselves to make everything perfect that it is so easy to get stressed out.
    Sarah Dee recently posted…Festive face favouritesMy Profile

10. Rachel
    07/01/2019 / 8:44 am

Great Post! I’m definitely going to make sure everything is wrapped way before Christmas eve this year!

11. 07/01/2019 / 6:16 pm

Great tips! I so need to wrap in advance this year, it killed me!

12. 07/01/2019 / 9:48 pm

I know we’ve just had Christmas, but this already excites me for next Christmas! I love the idea of having the Christmas cards written in November 🙂

13. 07/01/2019 / 10:05 pm

Every year I say I am going to be more organised for the following Christmas and I never am, so it is a good idea to start thinking about it early. I love the Christmas planner too, how cool is that?

14. 08/01/2019 / 1:13 am

Last year I bought my sister and her husband a bauble each in the January sales. I know it was extremely early but I just hid them away and gifted them as an early present when they put their tree up.
    Lewis recently posted…New Year’s ResolutionsMy Profile

15. 08/01/2019 / 7:05 am

I didn’t leave the wrapping until Christmas eve this year and it was much less stressful!

16. 08/01/2019 / 9:28 am

I have to say I started everything a lot earlier Christmas just gone and it really helped make everything a lot less stressful!

17. 08/01/2019 / 10:26 am

Great tips! We went away this year for Christmas for the first time and loved it. BUT it meant everything had to be done and dusted for the 21st December! It was so nice to have it all done and organised and made Christmas much easier for me.
    Stephanie recently posted…Christmas In ScotlandMy Profile

18. 08/01/2019 / 11:17 am

Some great tips here! I’m a right bad’un for wrapping things on Christmas Eve! I need to get more organised!

19. 08/01/2019 / 1:04 pm

Great tips here, especially the Christmas card one, I spent a fortune on them this year.

20. 08/01/2019 / 1:25 pm

Great tips! I’m not sure about decorating early, but I definitely need to start buying presents earlier in the future.

21. 08/01/2019 / 6:50 pm

Great tips! I especially like the idea of keeping the decorations in an accessible cupboard rather than up in the attic. I definitely think we would have got ours up earlier if I didn’t have to find the motivation to go rooting around the attic xx

22. 08/01/2019 / 9:56 pm

Brilliant tips, organisation is key! I definitely agree about shopping early. It really helps to spread the cost.

23. Clare Minall
    09/01/2019 / 12:08 am

Aww, I totatlly need this. I actually start my Christmas lastyear with nothing. I am not prepared! Thank you for sharing.

24. 09/01/2019 / 8:46 am

Great ideas and I agree with them all. It’s so much easier if you go at it with a plan and do what you can throughout the year too.

25. 09/01/2019 / 5:17 pm

Make a list of where everything is is a brilliant idea, I have already found a couple of presents I had hidden LOL

26. 11/01/2019 / 1:56 pm

Yes, some great tips here and I’ve already bought my wrapping paper and cards for next year so that’s one thing ticked off!