My Travel Essentials

OK, so you may have seen that Oscar shared his top 10 travel essentials for 4 year old boys a couple of weeks ago. And then Stacey shared her top 10 travel essentials for teen girls last week. Well, it’s the final installment, and my turn this week. And I can’t wait to show you what bits and bobs I’ve picked out as my ultimate faves to take away on holiday with me.

As usual, we’re going on our annual vacation to Great Yarmouth, Norfolk. And this year we’re going to be staying at Parkdean’s Cherry Tree Holiday Park. We’ve stayed here before quite a few times in the past. And we love it as there’s always loads for mums, dads, and the kids to do. Because of this, we don’t need to take loads of stuff with us to keep us entertained during the evenings, but I thought I’d talk you through all the things I’ll be making sure I don’t forget anyway.

So, are you ready? The let’s jump right in!

My Travel Essentials

Seafolly One Piece Turquoise Reversible Swim Suit – £111.90

I have to be honest and say that I don’t usually bother taking a swimsuit on holiday with me. I absolutely hate people seeing me wear one because of how my scoliosis makes me look. And it doesn’t usually matter, as Stacey can swim and is happy enough splashing around in the pool by herself, and Oscar used to hate being in the pool. This year though, he’s decided he loves being in the pool, which means I’m not going to be able to get out of going in! I decided to treat myself to some nice new swimwear to try and make myself feel better about having an S-shaped spine, and went for this gorgeous turquoise one piece swimsuit from Seafolly. I love the floral design, and the way it has a V-shaped neckline rather than a straight one. It’s really feminine, and when I tried it on I didn’t feel quite as self-conscious as I usually do. I love the idea of being able to wear it two ways as well. It will be like taking two swim suits away, but only taking up the room of one! I honestly can’t wait to wear it. What do you guys think of it?

Venus Snap Razor – £9.99

If there’s one thing I can’t go away on holiday without, it has to be a razor. If I forget it you can guarantee I’ll need it by the middle of the week! My absolute favourite razor for taking away with me is Gillette’s Venus Snap, as it’s nice and compact, and even comes in its own little case, so you don’t have to worry about any gunk from it touching your other toiletries! The razor itself has 5 blades, and it works just as well as any of the larger Gillette razors do. I can’t recommend it highly enough.

Hyper Pearl Mirror USB Battery Pack – £14.76

You guys may remember me saying that I’d picked up a Hyper Pearl Mirror USB Battery Pack for my mums birthday earlier this year? Basically, it’s a compact mirror that doubles up as a portable charger to add some extra juice to your mobile phone/iPad/camera etc. when you’re out and about. And I was so impressed by how sleek and stylish it looked, as well as how easy my mum (who is pretty useless with technology) found it to use, that I decided to pick one up for myself! They come in a range of different colours, and the mirrored parts also have LED lights on so you can even powder your nose in the dark. The best part though, is that they’re currently half the price they were back in February, so I really felt like I got myself a bargain!

Travalo Refillable Perfume Spray – £12.49

I don’t know about you guys, but I have a massive collection of fragrance’s, and I can never decide which ones to take away on holiday with me! About 5 or 6 years ago I discovered a little device called a ‘travalo’, which is a miniature perfume spray bottle that you can easily fill with your favourite scents when travelling. They don’t take up as much room as a regular sized bottle of perfume or body spray, which means I can take 2 or 3 away with me and have a range of different scents to choose from each day. And they’re airline approved as well, so if you’re taking a flight somewhere you won’t get in any trouble for having them with you. They’re so nifty, I can’t imagine not having them to hand when I go away. I might even do a review of them over on YouTube soon, so you can see just how quick and easy they are to use.

PurSteam Travel Garment & Fabric Steamer – £19.97

I’m the sort of person who loves wearing freshly ironed clothes everyday. But it’s safe to say that almost every time I go away, my holiday clothes end up all wrinkled and creased before I even get there! So I always make sure I take my PurSteam Travel Garment & Fabric Steamer with me when I holiday to combat that problem. It’s really easy to use – I just fill it with tap water, wait for it to heat up, and then steam any clothes that need de-creasing by moving it vertically over them while they’re hung up. I can usually get 4 or 5 tops or t-shirts looking as good as if I’d just ironed them with one tank of water, which is fab. And it doesn’t take up much space in my luggage. I love it!

Nivea Protect & Refresh Sun Spray SPF50 – £8.00

If you read my ‘What’s In My Bag’ post a few months ago, you’ll probably remember me raving about Nivea’s Protect & Refresh Sun Spray with SPF50, which I take everywhere with me. I like this particular one as it’s sort of halfway between an actual sun cream and an oil, meaning it doesn’t take ages to sink into the skin. And it doesn’t leave you feeling all oily either. I hate when sun sprays do that, don’t you? I’ve been using this particular sun spray for over a year now, and I still love it. I noticed that Aldi do their own version of this too, but at a fraction of the price. I keep meaning to pick it up so I can see just how similar they are. I mean, if they’re exactly the same, I’d rather spend a little less and use Aldi’s version! Does that make me sound tight?! Haha.

Mediflow Waterbase Pillow – £37.99

Another thing I never go on holiday without (because of my Scoliosis) is my Mediflow Waterbase Pillow. I always used to find that the beds in caravans really hurt my back, and then that went on to cause me problems with pains in my neck, as I’d lay in really funny positions to try and get comfortable. Anyway, I’d been using the Mediflow Waterbase Pillow at home, which is basically a pillow that you fill with water, and then when you sleep on it, it adjusts to fit your shape, and continuously responds to changes in your sleeping position during the night. I’d found that I was waking in the morning in a hell of a lot less pain than I’d been used to, so I decided to take it on holiday with me one year to see if it would help in their beds too. And I can honestly say it did! I think that just goes to show what a great pillow it is, and I really can’t imagine being without it now as I don’t wake in the mornings in half as much pain as I used to. Yay! I highly recommend giving this pillow a try if you suffer with back or neck problems yourself, as I really think it will change your life. Go on, what are you waiting for?!

Maui Jim Rising Sun Sunglasses in Burgundy Stripe – £219.00

Up until recently, I’d never owned a pair of sunglasses that cost more than a tenner. But this year I was lucky enough to be sent a pair to try out from a luxury brand called Maui Jim, and I’ve got to admit, they’re the best ones I’ve ever had! I have the Rising Sun design, in a burgundy colour, and everyone always compliments me on how nice they are. The website says they’re designed for larger faces, as they’re quite oversized, but I have an exceptionally small face, and they look just fine on me. They also do a great job of shading my eyes from the sun, which is obviously way more important than how good they look, and I can’t believe I’d never come across Maui Jim before now. I love them, and already have my eye on another pair …

The Bright Side Charger Bag – £10.95

Being a mummy means I have to remember to pick up everyone’s chargers to all the devices they’ve decided they’re taking away with them. This is usually 3 different phones, 2 iPads, numerous Nintendo DS’s, a laptop or 2, and loads more. (Why we need to take all this stuff with us I have no idea. So last year I picked up this super cute charger bag from one of my favourite brands, The Bright Side. On one side it says ‘Every charger in the Universe (Except the one you want)’, which just about sums up my life when we go away! The bag looks quite small in all the pictures I’ve seen online, but it’s surprisingly roomy inside, and there’s plenty of room for all manner of different chargers. It really is perfect for keeping them all together while we’re away, and it’s also available in a fab new design.

‘Goodnight Tweetheart’ by Teresa Medeiros – £11.74

And last but not least I’ve picked up a book to take away with me in the hope that I’ll actually be able to sit and read a little every night! This was a recommendation I saw by another blogger a while ago (I’m so sorry, I can’t remember who it was or I would have linked back to their review for you to take a look at). Anyway, she was saying how fab it was, despite being written almost entirely in tweets and DM’s. I’ll pop the synopsis below, as I obviously haven’t read it yet to give you my personal opinion, but I’m really looking forward to giving it a go. And hopefully I’ll be able to read at least 140 characters of text before one of the little ones interrupts me!

“Abigail Donovan has a lot of stuff she should be doing. Namely writing her next novel. A bestselling author who is still recovering from a near Pulitzer Prize win and the heady success that follows Oprah’stamp of approval, she is stuck at Chapter Five and losing confidence daily. But when her publicist signs her up for a Twitter account, she’s intrigued. What’s all the fuss?

Taken under the wing of one of her Twitter followers, “MarkBaynard”, a quick witted, quick-typing professor on sabbatical, Abby finds it easy to put words out into the world 140 characters at a time. And once she gets a handle on tweets, retweets, direct messages, hashtags, and trends, she starts to feel unblocked in writing and in life. After all, why should she be spending hours in her apartment staring at her TweetDeck and fretting about her stalled career when Mark is out there traveling the world and living?

Or is he?

Told almost entirely in tweets and DMs, Goodnight Tweetheart is a truly modern take on a classic tale of love and loss, a Griffin and Sabine for the Twitter generation.”

And there you have it – my top 10 travel essentials for holidaying in the UK. I really hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed putting it together. You might be wondering why I haven’t added a camera to my list, and there’s actually a couple of different reasons for this. The first is that I’ve never found the perfect camera to take around in my bag with me, so I don’t have one to recommend. And the second is that we take so many different devices away with us that you can take decent pictures on (smart phones etc.), I just don’t feel like I need to be carrying an extra item around with me. I hope that makes sense!

Do you have any other travel essentials you’d recommend?
Let me know in the comments below, and I’ll be sure to give them a try.
With love from Lou SignatureTwitter | Facebook | Bloglovin | Instagram | Pinterest

1. 07/07/2017 / 12:42 pm

I love that slimming costume beautiful print, could never afford the price tag though ha ha. The charger bag looks great something I could defo do with.

2. 07/07/2017 / 1:04 pm

I’m going to make sure I re-direct my girlfriend to this post just before we travel away. Great post and interesting to read. That charging bag is a clear must.

3. Nelu Mbingu
    07/07/2017 / 3:33 pm

This is a decent essentials list. I would add a couple of other stuff to mine, but otherwise it’s good.

4. 07/07/2017 / 3:38 pm

We are planning a trip to York and then Nottingham very shortly and my wife has been stressing about travel stuff! I will direct her your way 🙂

5. 07/07/2017 / 3:48 pm

The Bright Side Charger Bag is the much needed, especially for me!! It sounds great when traveling or going on a long picnic!! Thanks for sharing!!

6. 07/07/2017 / 4:05 pm

Well, if I was traveling in the UK, it would be as a tourist. I would have to add DSLR to that list of must-have travel essentials, I think. I do love your idea for bringing the garment steamer, too. Nothing worse than walking around wrinkled.
    Alicia Taylor recently posted…Minted Basil Watermelon Granita Summertime Dessert RecipeMy Profile

7. 07/07/2017 / 5:06 pm

I really need to get myself a Venus Snap as they seem perfect for popping in an overnight bag when your heading away, rather than trying to fit in my full size one.
    Sarah Bailey recently posted…5 of the Best Money Saving Tips AroundMy Profile

8. 07/07/2017 / 6:27 pm

I’ve never heard of a travalo before but I definitely need one of them in my life. Jo x

9. 07/07/2017 / 7:24 pm

Some really great items – I love the swimming costume! I’ve not seen the Venus snap before it sounds really useful! x

10. 07/07/2017 / 7:43 pm

I really love that swimsuit. I am going to have to give a waterbase pillow try.

11. 07/07/2017 / 8:58 pm

I love the little bag for phone chargers, how super cute! xx

12. Lubka Henry
    07/07/2017 / 9:25 pm

Very smart travel essentials. I’m taking tips on some of them 🙂

13. 07/07/2017 / 10:53 pm

Being a keen camper and hiker, I love packing things for my time away that have more than one purpose/use and things that are not heavy or bulky. You have included a few great options for me in this post. Really nice and practical and I will definitely be checking some of these out.

14. 07/07/2017 / 11:16 pm

Oh, wow, I love the tiny razor! I haven’t seen that available in the states, but it would be so handy if it is!

15. 08/07/2017 / 1:18 am

That charger bag is adorable! I travel a lot and I’m going to have to check out a bunch of these essentials. What a great list!
    Lois Alter Mark recently posted…“maudie” movie reviewMy Profile

16. Catherine Sargent
    08/07/2017 / 2:15 am

These all look like great products that you will need when traveling. I my power bank charger and a bottle of sunscreen.

17. 08/07/2017 / 4:34 am

What a great list of essentials. It’s funny because as I read this, I’m on vacation. Guess what I forgot? A razor, along with my little bag of all-important charger cables. Yep, after a bit of panic set in, a trip to the mall was the first thing on the agenda! x

18. 08/07/2017 / 5:05 am

That suit is GORGEOUS! I love the print and the cut. And how cute is that compact with the charging port in it?! I’ve never seen something like that before… so handy to have in your purse. You’ve got a great list here!

19. 08/07/2017 / 9:23 am

what a well written post! i really like that you included prices and images. it makes it very reader friendly

20. 08/07/2017 / 10:42 am

What fabulous ideas, I love the swimming costume. Like you I always take a portable charger, the are so useful x

21. 08/07/2017 / 12:10 pm

Those Venus razors are brilliant for travelling. Not sure about the steamer, though, I am not a big ironer anyway, but if it was for a corporate event or a wedding, I can see it being really handy.

22. Sharon Chanyau
    08/07/2017 / 6:38 pm

We are planning a trip to Africa and then a little tour of Europe this summer. I will surely carry a power bank and lots of suncreen. I love your list, its comprehensive and handy.

23. 08/07/2017 / 10:51 pm

The swimming costume is amazing, you’ll look beautiful in it! That chargers sounds amazing too x
    Sarah recently posted…Make It Monthly #7My Profile

24. 09/07/2017 / 5:01 am

For me it’s an extra pair of sunglasses. I’m always leaving them somewhere, and would hate to have to shop for new ones when we’re supposed to be vacationing!
    Scott recently posted…Ponzi Scheme Board Game OverviewMy Profile

25. 09/07/2017 / 9:18 am

Taking a steamer with you is a great idea. Love the swimsuit as well.

26. Dannii
    09/07/2017 / 11:02 am

Sun cream and hair straighteners are my essentials. I remember when I forgot my straighteners once and my hair was all over the place haha

27. 09/07/2017 / 5:33 pm

Brilliant ideas! First hand, I see the about me page when I read a blog. It catches the readers attention. Thank you for the great tips.

28. 09/07/2017 / 11:37 pm

I need to get myself a waterbased pillow! I had never even heard of one before. Sounds like it’s a waterbed for your head 🙂 Going to have to try it now.

29. 10/07/2017 / 3:08 am

My go-to when it comes to travel essentials is my multiport usb charger. I can charge up to 8 things with just one device so no need for waiting or multiple plugs. As for your list, I didn’t know a such thing as a portable fragrance bottle existed but now that I’ve found out I definitely need to add that to my arsenal.

30. 10/07/2017 / 5:37 am

I certainly here you about not wanting to carry around extra devices on your travels. It’s difficult to carry them with you all of the time. Although I do hate running my phone battery out taking pictures. I guess it depends on what you need.
    David Elliott recently posted…The Leibster-Sunshine Blogging Awards 2017My Profile

31. hal
    10/07/2017 / 12:07 pm

its the sunscreen for me..i shave my barnet and i put little coconut on my head as you do..got to keep it hydrated
    but my god in the sun…i don’t want to cook my head so the non oily great nivea is the one!!

32. 10/07/2017 / 12:11 pm

I always need me some protective sun cream! My skin is the like an enemy for the sun and it just explodes every time its in the heat!

33. 10/07/2017 / 5:33 pm

Awesome travel essentials. I make sure to pack everything I need during a trip and during the summer, it’s a must to have sunscreen at all times. I cannot leave without my chargers as well. That bag is adorable!
    Carol Cassara recently posted…The faux intimacy of social media friendshipsMy Profile

34. 10/07/2017 / 9:20 pm

Thank you for all the awesome travel essential advice. The charger is a must I am forever running out of battery. Have a great summer. x

35. Krystle Cook
    10/07/2017 / 9:31 pm

These are amazing essentials for travel. Some of these I have never heard of before but some never leave my bag so that I make sure that I don’t forget them.

36. 10/07/2017 / 10:20 pm

Such a great list for travel essentials! I haven’t seen the Venus razor like that before, but will have to keep an eye out as it’d be handy!

37. Rosey
    11/07/2017 / 12:12 am

We definitely need a charger bag. I lose one every trip.

38. katrina gehman
    11/07/2017 / 2:59 am

i just traveled and i used some of these as my must haves. great list.

39. 11/07/2017 / 9:43 am

That swimming costume is gorgeous, I love the print! Seafolly are such great quality too, I have a bikini from them that I’ve had for years and it still looks great (obviously I am not getting in that this summer having just had a baby though!) I love the idea of a steamer too – I hate having creased clothes but requesting an iron from the hotel is always such a faff!

40. 11/07/2017 / 6:35 pm

I can’t believe you included this!! I bought that same exact compact for all my BFFs. It’s a life saver!

41. 12/07/2017 / 1:38 am

This is a great list. Lots of cute, custom things I never would think of!

42. 12/07/2017 / 7:18 am

Everybody has his or her own list I think. I never travel without my notebook 😉

43. Rebecca Swenor
    12/07/2017 / 11:44 am

This is a great list of travel essentials for any woman. I love the one piece swimsuit from Seafolly, Gillette’s Venus Snap. and the Mediflow Waterbase Pillow. These are items I will have to check out for sure. Thanks for sharing this awesome list.

44. 12/07/2017 / 12:39 pm

Great selection of stuff. I always use those razors! Love holiday time!!

45. Agentszerozerosetter
    13/07/2017 / 6:47 am

It’s so important to be organized when travelling! Love that reversibile swimsuit, want absolutely one! Travalo is one of my everyday essential, so convenient to carry around in my bag to always have my favorite perfume with me!

46. 13/07/2017 / 8:16 pm

Ok you have just changed my whole travel world! I haven’t heard of a travalo yet but I totally need these little guys. What a genius idea! It’s so hard to pick which perfume to bring away! I will keep an eye out for your YouTube video! x
    Becky, Cuddle Fairy recently posted…The Power of WimbledonMy Profile

47. 13/07/2017 / 8:16 pm

I love that charger bag – I actually adore everything from The Bright Side as they are always spot on aren’t they? Fab list!

48. 14/07/2017 / 12:12 am

Great travel checklist – I love the Venus snap razor and propel are always surprised to learn that razors are in fact allowed on as part of your hand luggage. Glad it’s not just me that karts round a bag of chargers!!!

49. 14/07/2017 / 11:02 pm

I think some of these items are definately needed on holiday.f