Oscar’s Travel Essentials for 4 Year Old Boys

Next month my little family and I will be travelling the 154 mile journey to Great Yarmouth for our annual vacation, and we can’t wait! This year we’re staying on Parkdean’s Cherry Tree site, which has lots of entertainment on offer families each day, and the kids love it there so are even more excited than usual to be going back.

I’ve spent the last couple of weeks making sure we’ve got everything we need for the off, and it got me thinking about starting a new ‘travel essentials’ mini series here on my blog. So that’s exactly what I’m going to do! Today I’m starting with Oscar’s Travel Essentials for 4 Year Old Boys, which he’s actually helped pick out himself. Next week will see Stacey picking out her Travel Essentials for Teenage Girls, and the week after that I’ll do a mummy version chock full of beautiful things for all us lovely ladies. I hope this series is something you’ll all find interesting, and maybe it will inspire you to try some new travel products as well. Who knows?

So, without further ado, here are Oscar’s top ten travel essentials for 4 year old boys …

Oscar's Travel Essentials

01. Finding Dory Bucket and Spade Set – £11.69

First up is the bucket and spade set we picked up for Oscar last year. It has a Finding Dory design, and comes with lots of added extras, like a rake, sieve, mould and watering can. He absolutely loves it, and can’t wait to use it on the beach this summer!

02. SwimFin – £22.99

Oscar’s recently expressed an interest in learning to swim, so I picked up one of these awesome SwimFin swimming aids to use in the pool on holiday. The SwimFin is the Worlds only vertical swimming aid which is worn on the back to allow the arms and body total freedom of movement in the water. I think this is a great idea, as Oscar’s picking up the breast stroke movement brilliantly, but it’s not easy to do in armbands!

03. Childs Farm Sun Cream and After Sun Lotion – £10.99 and £4.99 respectively

All mums and dads know how important it is to protect their little ones skin from the sun, so using a sun cream with a high SPF is a must. We’ve recently been using Childs Farm 50+ SPF Sun Cream, which is suitable for sensitive and eczema prone skin, and Oscar really likes using it. It’s really easy to apply, although it does leave a bit of a white film on the skin if you don’t rub it in properly. I can cope with that if I have a child who is happy for me to smother him in sun cream though! Oscar’s also been enjoying using Childs Farm After Sun Lotion, which helps to cool his skin down after playing outside in the afternoon.

04. Boots Mini Club Sunsafe Swimsuit – £13.00

Another great way to protect little ones skin from the suns rays is to dress them in a sunsafe swimsuit with UV protection when taking a trip to the beach or outdoor pool. We love this one from Mini Club at Boots as it covers delicate areas such as shoulders, knees, and elbows, as well as having a super cute fish pattern!

05. Mini Donald Duck Soft Toy – £7.95

My lovely friend Michelle recently went to Disney World in Florida and bought our little Oscar a super cute Donald Duck toy back with her. Ever since he received it, he hasn’t let it leave his side, and it’s the first cuddly toy he’s ever taken to bed with him. This means we most definitely have to take Donald on holiday with us this year, and even daddy doesn’t mind as he’s the perfect size to fit into the back seat car organiser I’m going to be talking about in a second!

06. Thomas the Tank Engine Jelly Shoes – £7.00-£8.00

Next, Oscar has picked out his Thomas the Tank Engine Jelly Shoes as one of his travel essentials. I picked a pair of these up from Boots while we were on holiday last year, but I wasn’t really sure how much wear he’d get out of them. Luckily it was loads, and he wore them to the beach, on days out, and even just on the back garden whenever he had his water table out. He finds them a lot more comfortable to wear than trainers when it’s hot, and they look fab too. We love them!

07. Chill Tots Back Seat Car Organiser – £29.99

If you’re travelling a fair distance by car this year, then we highly recommend investing in a Chill Tots Back Seat Car Organiser! The organiser fastens to the back of the front seats of the car and little ones can fill it with their favourite things so they don’t get bored while they’re travelling.

This particular version has space for an iPad and headphones, so what we do is have one for each of the kids and then they can both watch something different while we travel. It really helps with there being such a big age gap between them. I also like to fill Oscar’s up with a couple of his favourite books, a drink, some healthy snacks, and maybe a couple of small toys. They’re really handy, and most definitely a holiday essential.

08. VTech Kidizoom Duo Camera in Blue – £45.95

Whenever we go on a family holiday I take a lot of photographs, and Oscar is always wanting to borrow my camera to take some of his own. This year we decided to treat him to his very own Vtech Kidizoom Duo Camera in blue so he could do just that, and it will be really interesting when we get home to see our family holiday through the eyes of a 4 year old.

09. Trunki Tipu Tiger Ride On Suitcase – £39.99

One of Oscar’s favourite things to take on holiday with him is his Trunki, which is a ride on suitcase that he can fill with clothes, books and toys. Surprisingly, Trunki’s hold a fair amount of stuff, and if you’re taking to the skies as part of your family holiday then it fits comfortably in the hand-luggage storage compartments on most aircraft. What I like about the Trunki is that it’s colourful and eye-catching for kids, but it’s also really durable, with strong catches to keep everything safe and sound inside, which is sure to give mums and dads that all important peace of mind.

10. Keep em Quiet Bag – from £9.99

And last but certainly not least for Oscar’s Travel Essentials is the Keep em Quiet Bag. Now, this is actually meant to be enjoyed during long car or plane journey’s, but we actually buy the most expensive one for Oscar and then use it to entertain him during the evenings while we’re away. The Keep em Quiet Bags come chock full of items to keep little ones entertained, such as a colouring book and crayons, activity books, small toys, and snack items too. Oh, and we love that the drawstring bag can be used as a swim bag while we’re holidaying too, which cuts down on the amount of stuff we need to take!

Oscar and Stacey at the Beach

And there you have it – Oscar’s top 10 travel essentials for 4 year old boys. We hoped you enjoyed reading it as much as we enjoyed sitting together and picking out all the items to include in it. I should also point out that I always take a hat on holiday for Oscar to wear,  but he really doesn’t like having one on, so we’re constantly battling with him to wear it … nightmare!

Do you have any other travel essentials you recommend for 4 year old boys?
Let me know in the comments below, and I’ll be sure to try them out.
With love from Lou Signature
Twitter | Facebook | Bloglovin | Instagram | Pinterest

1. 21/06/2017 / 8:05 pm

I think he has a great list here! I want to get my kids their own camera, I think this one looks like it would be durable enough for my son!
    Ashley recently posted…Coco and Olaf’s Frozen Adventure!My Profile

2. 21/06/2017 / 8:19 pm

The kidizoom cameras all seem like such great things to keep kids entertained!

3. 21/06/2017 / 8:37 pm

You have a good list of kids items there. Travelling can be so daunting with kids, so having those essentials and fun things is great.

4. 21/06/2017 / 9:11 pm

I’ve always loved beach toys. I’m in that in-between stage (between children and grandchildren) when I’ve got no one to buy them for, though!

5. 22/06/2017 / 5:32 am

The swim fin made me laugh out load. Heck I would use that. The Shark is my spirit animal.

6. 22/06/2017 / 10:13 am

This is a great list! If you´re traveling with kids you have to think about so much

7. 22/06/2017 / 12:10 pm

Those are really good essentials for a 4 year old. I love the Vtech camera. That would be a must for my 4 year old too. Hope you all have a fun vacation!

8. 22/06/2017 / 12:42 pm

Personally, I don’t travel much. I can’t imagine having to pack enough things for a child. This is a great list though! I love the swim fin!

9. 22/06/2017 / 12:59 pm

Such great choices! I wish several of these were around when my children were small…. all I can say is “bring on the grandchildren” as I would love to get some of these products, especially that fin!!

10. 22/06/2017 / 1:27 pm

I have a three year old boy so I am definitely saving this post! Great ideas!

11. 22/06/2017 / 2:27 pm

The backseat organizer is pretty cool! I hate things all over the floor of the car. It’s messy and then kids can’t actually reach them. That looks like a great entertainment center for all their toys and stuff.
    Melanie recently posted…Cars 3 Candy BarkMy Profile

12. 22/06/2017 / 3:46 pm

What a great compilation of a travel list for a young boy. I especially love the shark fin, might have to add that to mommy’s travel list so she can scare others 😉

13. 22/06/2017 / 3:53 pm

So cute! You have come up with a great list of all the necessities that you would need.

14. Katina
    22/06/2017 / 4:15 pm

Have fun on your vacation. Looks like your son is ready. He won’t be bored at all.

15. 22/06/2017 / 7:53 pm

This selection of travel essentials is so fun! Perfect for an active and fun-loving 4 year old. Does he like drawing? If you bring along some drawing materials, it can entertain a little artist for a very long time!

16. 22/06/2017 / 10:02 pm

Aww!! What a cute list!
    We are getting our kids ready for their trip to Ottawa next week so ours will be a little similar but minus the swim stuff. LOL.
    Heather Lawrence recently posted…Ka chow! Cars 3 Movie ReviewMy Profile

17. 22/06/2017 / 11:28 pm

ive not seen a swimming aid like SwimFin before and it looks amazing! i remember using armbands and they were’t practical at all.

18. Ali Rost
    22/06/2017 / 11:29 pm

I loved family vacations like this when our kids were little. I wish I’d have had a list like this when I was getting ready to go. You’ve covered all of the bases, from swimsuits, to sunscreen, to toys. Your kids are going to have a great time! x

19. 23/06/2017 / 7:16 am

The after sun lotion is a must! We don’t ever go out in the sun without it.

20. 23/06/2017 / 10:47 am

These are awesome choices especially since he picked them out himself. Great choice to include a camera it will be super fun to see his view once you see his photos.

21. 23/06/2017 / 11:11 am

What a genius post! I especially love the car seat organiser with the ipad space – how brilliant!
    Ladies Pass It On recently posted…REMEMBER HER?My Profile

22. 23/06/2017 / 12:42 pm

Oscar has chosen some great items, it’s so lovely to see packing through a child’s eyes. I love the swim fin, he will look super cool in the water with that on!
    Helen recently posted…May DegustaboxMy Profile

23. Chemady
    23/06/2017 / 1:03 pm

This is an amazing list. I like the swim suit.

24. 23/06/2017 / 1:22 pm

These are such great ideas for longer car rides. I don’t know how I would make it 15 hours without a basket of activities for both kids.

25. 23/06/2017 / 4:30 pm

I love the swim fin and really need to buy one as my son has just started using them in his swimming lessons instead of the noodle. When ever we go away we always take his Trunki they are great x

26. Sarah Ann
    23/06/2017 / 6:34 pm

Great list! I always worry about travelling eith younger children in my family because I’ve no idea what to pack for them to help keep them occupied!

27. Elizabeth O
    23/06/2017 / 9:49 pm

This is such a terrific idea because we always see travel essentials and goodies for girls but barely any for boys. Great suggested items too.

28. Jessica McDonnell
    24/06/2017 / 9:05 am

I used to have a donald duck toy exactly like that when I was younger and I wouldn’t leave the house without it – great list!

29. My Teen Guide
    24/06/2017 / 12:21 pm

Thanks for sharing your list. I am sure any little boy would be pre-occupied during the trip. I love the swim fins and the camera. I may check out a few of these items. We also have a beach trip soon.

30. 24/06/2017 / 4:41 pm

This is a fantastic list i love the trunki! I think my five year old would love this i also love the organiser i definitely think we need one of them.
    Marie Barber recently posted…Our Almost Chemical Free HomeMy Profile

31. 24/06/2017 / 8:56 pm

We’re going on our first family holiday in a few weeks so i’m glad i got to read this. It’s a nice little insight into what kids need!
    Suncream suncream suncream 🙂

32. 25/06/2017 / 1:26 am

I think a post like this helps give people ideas.
    Faisal recently posted…Mothers BeautyMy Profile

33. 25/06/2017 / 8:53 am

What a great list. Our Trunki is still a huge hit here with my nine year old x

34. 25/06/2017 / 3:07 pm

I don’t have young children but these products sound and look great for youngsters. Great items for the outdoors.

35. 25/06/2017 / 8:49 pm

I am dying to get my hands on a trunkini for my little girl, the perfect carry case for them.

36. 26/06/2017 / 6:56 pm

This will be a great help when we decide to take our beach vacation!!!! Thank you for the awesome tips 🙂

37. 26/06/2017 / 7:21 pm

I love the idea of the swimfin. It sounds perfect! He can swim around freely. Also I can only imagine how important sunblock is.

38. katrina gehman
    26/06/2017 / 11:27 pm

those are all great ideas. i should get some as we are doing a trip to CA soon.