How to keep fit while on Holiday in Italy

How to keep fit while on Holiday in ItalyOne of my favourite things to do during a holiday in Italy is indulge in the famous cuisine and wine. And while this may be a treat for my tastebuds, it’s certainly not that great for my waistline. So while I’m there I like to try and keep as fit as I possibly can. And today I’m going to share some of my tips on how I do that with you guys at home.

Explore on foot
My top tip for keeping fit while on holiday in Italy would be to explore your surroundings on foot. Regular walking is good for you because cardiovascular exercise strengthens the heart and lungs, increasing overall fitness. Keeping it at a brisk pace can even burn the same amount of calories as jogging! And since Italy is steeped in history, you might even find some hidden treasures that you might not have come across had you traveled by car or bus.

Go for a hike
No matter whereabouts you’re staying in Italy, you’ll be able to find a place to hike. You could try a nice, gentle hike along the cliffs, or a more rigorous one that will really help to burn those calories! One of the more popular places to hike in Italy is the beautiful Cinque Terre in Liguria. It can be found on the brink of the Italian Riviera and the five small villages that make up the Cinque Terre are connected by old steps and various hiking trails. You can find out more by visiting EmiliaDelizia, they organise Cinque Terre hiking tours with a food and wine twist if you want to add a culinary adventure to your walking.

Go for a swim
Just like walking, swimming is a great form of cardiovascular exercise. As it uses so many muscles in your body, your heart and lungs work hard to supply them with oxygen. You could swim in your hotel pool or in the sea – the important thing is to just jump in instead of lazing around on a sun lounger. Trust me, it’s much more fun!

Always carry a bottle of water with you
Drinking plenty of water not only keeps you lovely and hydrated, but it also reduces your appetite, meaning you’re much less likely to sit and snack throughout the day, and only wanting to eat at set meal times. Of course, there are lots of other benefits to drinking water as well – it’s a natural wrinkle buster, can stop dizziness and headaches, fights infections and boosts energy to name just a few.

Work out in your hotel room
Whenever we go anywhere where there isn’t a local gym, I try to do a few exercises every morning in my hotel room. Things like jumping jacks, push ups and lunges can be done in quite small spaces, and you can tailor your routine to suit your needs. Just don’t forget to do some warm up stretches before you start!

And there you have it, 5 ways you can keep fit while on holiday in Italy. I hope you enjoyed it.

Do you have any other tips on how to keep fit while on holiday in Italy?
As always, I’d love to hear from you.With love from Lou SignatureTwitter | Facebook | Bloglovin | Instagram | YouTube

*Sponsored post

Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2015 Louise Smith

1. 17/05/2015 / 1:21 pm

Thanks Lou! I’m planning on going on holiday to Rome this August and I’m definitely going to bear some of these in mind! x

Stephanie | ouistephanie.com

• 17/05/2015 / 5:28 pm

Aww, you will have a great time Stephanie. I’m so jealous 😀 X

2. 17/05/2015 / 1:47 pm

They are amazing tips, Lousie, I agree with every one of them. I also like to indulge in local cuisine while I’m on holidays. That’s why I try to swim as much as I can during the day and also walk around the town/beach after the amazing dinner. Fortunately I don’t tend to sleep long in the morning as I don’t want to waste the precious time sleeping so me and my man go for a morning jog before breakfast. We’ve started this 2 years ago and love it! There is nothing better than a morning jog next to a beach!

Dash xx
    Dash | Mode Lily recently posted…Smoothie Recipe: Berry SmoothieMy Profile

• 17/05/2015 / 5:30 pm

I’m so glad you agree Dash! It’s always great to hear what more seasoned travelers think as we don’t get away as much as we’d like to 🙂 X

• 18/05/2015 / 1:16 am

I know exactly what you mean Isabella! I like to walk more than anything. We walk a lot on holiday, no matter where we go 🙂 X

3. 17/05/2015 / 11:44 pm

Lou this is fab, bet you’re excited to go. I’d love to go to Italy, I’d be eating pizza, bread, pasta, cheese and eating lots of Gelato. So I’d need to take some tips from you. When I go away I do my exercises in the room. I usually lift water bottles as weights lol. x
    Kate Hurn recently posted…Rack & Dollar LiverpoolMy Profile

• 18/05/2015 / 1:17 am

Ooh that’s a good idea Kate! I never thought of using water bottles as weights!! I’m trying that next time I’m away for sure 😀 X

• 18/05/2015 / 1:18 am

Me too! Haha. I find myself a lot more motivated to do things on holiday. I definitely eat more when I’m away though. I put it down to the fresh air. At home everyone always says I don’t eat enough to feed a fly {‘;’} X

4. 18/05/2015 / 8:44 am

Some great tips, I always carry water with me wherever I go, even in the UK x
    Rachel recently posted…Online Shopping!My Profile

• 18/05/2015 / 3:23 pm

I used to, but have slacked for the last few years! I really should start carrying it with me again now 🙂 X

• 18/05/2015 / 3:24 pm

I wouldn’t worry Laura, holidays are great for relaxing too 😀 X

5. 18/05/2015 / 5:24 pm

These are some great tips! I never miss on the water intake myself! 🙂
    Esha recently posted…My Envy Box May 2015My Profile

• 18/05/2015 / 10:25 pm

It’s good to keep hydrated Esha 🙂 I’ve been really bad recently, but am going to start drinking more again now 😀 X
      Louise recently posted…Bra Fitting Tips for BeginnersMy Profile

6. 18/05/2015 / 8:33 pm

These are very good tips, for sure! I normally use two of them, exploring on foot and the bottle of water! I would ;love to be a fan of gym, but unfortunately I am not! Well, things can always change, so I won’t day I will never like it – and walking is a form of gym too 🙂 Great tips and pictures!
    DenisesPlanet.com
    Denise recently posted…Ageless styleMy Profile

• 18/05/2015 / 10:26 pm

I’m not a fan of the gym either Denise!! I much prefer to work out to YouTube videos at home 🙂 X

7. 18/05/2015 / 10:21 pm

Great post! I am so lazy when it comes to exercise when I am on holiday but I guess sometimes you don’t realise you are actually participating in exercise if you are sight seeing on foot, on a bike or even swimming! I am actually Italian so I have been to Italy quite a few times – it is one of my favourite places to travel, although I haven’t been in a few years now!

Sophia Meola | A Beauty, Fashion & Lifestyle Blog

xx
    Sophia Meola recently posted…Glossybox | May 2015My Profile

• 18/05/2015 / 10:28 pm

I always do a lot of walking when I’m on holiday. I think the fact that you don’t really associate it with exercise like you would a lot of things really helps 😉 X

• 19/05/2015 / 12:14 am

Walking is a fab way to exercise. Much more relaxing when you’re away!X

8. 29/10/2015 / 9:22 pm

I do love to swim on holiday! It helps burn the calories I end up eating and is something I enjoy. Italy sounds fab and i imagine you would need a lot of drinking water while walking about and viewing the area. A very good post! Thanks

Angela
    Angela at Daysinbed recently posted…Getting Published On The Mighty For the First TimeMy Profile

9. 29/10/2015 / 11:02 pm

Great tips – I loved visiting Italy, I wish we could go back there, (I am so lazy I always take holidays as a chance to do as little as possible – wish I had more willpower) I do like to do a lot of walking on holiday – I love wandering round a new city and exploring
    Jenni – Odd Socks and Lollipops recently posted…Simple Halloween Craft Ideas for ToddlersMy Profile

10. 30/10/2015 / 1:41 am

Great tips Lou! I always think I cant be bothered to work out on holiday but I definitely enjoy swimming while Im away, and never even really think of it as working out!! Its so enjoyable! xx
    Hayley recently posted…What Makes Me Feel Like A Million DollarsMy Profile

11. 30/10/2015 / 9:35 am

I dread to think how many calories I would consume if I went to Italy. All that pasta would be heaven! We do like to walk and swim a lot on holiday though, so that helps… kind of 😉

12. 31/10/2015 / 9:37 am

One day I would love to go to Italy as it looks amazing there and the food, yum! I love waking and I bet there are some lovely sights to see whilst walking through Italy x

13. 01/11/2015 / 10:29 pm

That would be lovely holiday for me to go.I am adding it to my wish list. Thank you for amazing tips. I like eating as well and its easy to get lazy in Italy with their “siesta” time.

14. Fi Ní Neachtáin
    02/11/2015 / 8:41 am

I have to admit, the last thing I ever want to do while on holiday is work out but I do lots of swimming while I’m away so I think that keeps me active 🙂 I’ve only ever been to Florence in Italy and we walked everywhere, it was the best way to see the sights.