Bra Fitting Tips for Beginners

Did you know that across the UK the majority of women are wearing the wrong size bra? When I was told this I have to admit that I wasn’t surprised. After all, I’d been buying the same size bra I’d bought as a teenager for most of my adult life. Needless to say, they were the wrong size and ridiculously uncomfortable. Looking back I can’t believe that I didn’t do something about it sooner.

But not only can wearing the wrong size of bra be uncomfortable, it can also be unflattering, cause bad posture and sagging, and even have an impact on your long-term breast health.

These days I’m much more clued up on how to check whether or not a bra is the right size for me or not when I’m out shopping. And today I’ve teamed up with the lovely people at Playtex to share some hints and tips that I’m sure will come in useful at your next bra fitting

Bra Fitting Tips for Beginners

No slack in the back
The main thing to remember when you’re having a bra fitting is that the main support comes from the under band. Your bra should fit firmly around your body without digging in or being too slack. A good way to check this is by sliding two fingers under the back band once it’s fastened. If you can’t fit them under then it’s too tight, and if you can get more than two under there it’s too big! For maximum support the back band should be horizontal across your back, and not sliding up.

Be strap happy
Just like the under band, the straps of your bra should be firm, but without digging in or being too slack. You can easily adjust them so they sit firmly in place, but if you find yourself needing to tighten them a lot it may be worth double checking that it’s not too big at the back.

Fill your cups
Your breasts should be comfortably encased in the cups of the bra, and feel fully supported. If the cups are loose, with excess material then the cup size is too big, and if your breasts are over-spilling then it’s most definitely too small! At the front, the centre of the bra should fit flat against the chest. If it doesn’t, it’s another sign that the cups are too small.

Check your wires
Make sure the underwire sits flat from under your armpit around to the centre. It should follow the line of the bust and sit behind the breast tissue, not on it.

And remember, there are plenty of places on the high street who can measure you properly and give you fanastic advice about getting the perfect fit. My personal favourite is Debenhams, but you might have somewhere else in mind.

I hope you guys found this guide useful, especially if you’re planning on buying a new bra soon. And if you have any suggestions for other ‘tips for beginners’ posts then please let me know in the comments below. Maybe you’d like to take a look at my Shoe Shopping tips while you’re here?

Do you have any other bra fitting tips you would add to this list?
Be sure to let me know if you do!

Thanks for reading.With love from Lou SignatureTwitter | Facebook | Bloglovin | Instagram | YouTube

Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2015 Louise Smith

• 18/05/2015 / 3:22 pm

That’s exactly how I felt Rhian! I was wearing the right back size, but my cups were way out. Since finding the right size though I feel so much more comfortable!!X

• 18/05/2015 / 8:27 pm

It really makes a difference doesn’t it Julie? I think the problem is that us Brits are too shy to go and get measured properly! LOL X

• 19/02/2016 / 3:26 pm

Not just the brits the americans do get properly fit bras either .

1. 19/05/2015 / 2:27 am

Isn’t it funny how something so simple can be so complicated?! I always find it hard to find a comfortable bra, because I’m quite small up top and nothing fits right. Sigh!

• 19/05/2015 / 11:34 am

Aww, bless you Julie! It sounds like a nightmare 🙁 X

• 19/05/2015 / 11:34 am

I think it’s a really good idea Rachel. Especially if it’s a new brand of type of bra you’re wanting to try 🙂 X

• 19/05/2015 / 11:35 am

So true Shareena! A well fitting bra equals a happy lady 😀 X

2. 20/05/2015 / 7:25 pm

It’s amazing the difference a well fitted bra can make to how comfortable you are!! I tend to get measured every year or so, although I’ve been the same size since I was about 16 – best to be sure!

Jess xo
    Jess recently posted…Review | Dr. Jart+ Pore Refine Tight Effect TonerMy Profile

• 20/05/2015 / 11:18 pm

Oh definitely! I never want to be wearing the wrong size bra ever again. I’ve learnt my lesson 🙂 X

3. 10/03/2016 / 12:04 pm

That is so true! I only started wearing the right bra after I got fitted in M&S. The sales assistants there, especially at the lingerie department are fab! She patiently measured me and suggested the kind of bras I should be getting. 😉 This is such a helpfu post for women:) x
    Dean of Little Steps recently posted…Of Aches and AgeingMy Profile

4. 10/03/2016 / 3:10 pm

When I get a new bra i always go for a fitting to make sure the bra i want to purchase fits. I hate feeling uncomfortable.

5. 10/03/2016 / 4:54 pm

I had a friend go on at me for years to tell me to check my bra size… I’m so stubborn that it took me 4 years and when I finally did I was shocked. The size changes so often too that it’s good to check regularly, especially if you’re a yo yo dieter.
    Thanks for the pointers!

Alina from home decor blog UK – The Fairytale Pretty Picture

6. 10/03/2016 / 10:42 pm

It really is much easier to be a guy when it comes to buying clothes. May this guide help many a woman from having an underwire bra harrassing her ribs and leaving painful indentations!
    Grant R recently posted…SparkPeople – A ReviewMy Profile

7. 10/03/2016 / 10:54 pm

I have never actually had my bra size measured, i really should, I have no idea how I even came to the conclusion of what my bra size is now lol! x

8. 10/03/2016 / 11:56 pm

Sometimes I don’t even wear a bra because it is more comfortable and I am flat chested but since I am between sizes it means that finding the right bra is difficult. #Girlproblems!
    Ana De- Jesus recently posted…Lets Talk About Rose Gold: WishlistMy Profile

9. 11/03/2016 / 8:21 am

I’ve been going for regular fittings since I became pregnant and continue now as my weight has obviously changed then with breast feeding it means my shape has been up and down x
    Jenni recently posted…Henry J Socks Review And GiveawayMy Profile

10. 12/03/2016 / 4:11 am

I’m finding bras so uncomfortable in these latter stages of pregnancy and when I’ve stopped breastfeeding (however long that may be!) I’ll definitely be having a proper fitting and treating myself to some new ones xx

11. 12/03/2016 / 11:52 am

I was SO surprised last year when I had a bra fitting to learn I had been wearing a back size TWO sizes bigger than I needed – I was in shock! Now that I’m pregnant, I know I shoul dgo back again as my boobs and body are changing at a rapid rate. This is such a handy check guide though, and I’ll definitely be paying more attention to how my bra sits.