How To Care For Your Clip-In Hair Extensions

What with heat styling, blow drying, up-doing, detangling and all that malarky, your trusty clip-in hair extensions can go through an awful lot on a weekly basis. All that wear and tear can leave them looking a little bit tatty. So why not treat your hair extensions to some well-deserved TLC this week and help keep them in great condition for longer?

Not sure where to start? Don’t worry! In today’s post, I’m going to talk you through how to easily care for your clip-in hair extensions. From washing and drying to brushing and storing them, I promise I’ve got you covered!

How To Care For Your Clip-In Hair Extensions

01. Washing

Clip-in hair extensions don’t receive any nourishing, natural oils from the scalp like our own hair does, so it’s best to wash them as infrequently as possible to prevent them from becoming unnecessarily dry. I would recommend giving them a wash every six weeks or so, but this can vary depending on how many styling products you’ve been using and what you’ve been getting up to in general!

When it’s eventually time to give them a wash, make sure you prep your clip-in hair extensions by removing any tangles with a gentle brush that’s been designed especially for use on hair extensions. And remember, you should never brush your extensions while they are wet! Next, fill a washbasin with lukewarm water, and place your hair extensions into it gently, making sure you keep hold of them at the clips to prevent them from becoming tangled. Then take a little bit of moisturising shampoo, and gently distribute it through the extensions in a downward motion. Whatever you do don’t rub and scrunch the hair together like your washing an old pair of socks, as it will only damage them.

Once you’ve shampooed your extensions, refill the sink with more lukewarm water, and gently apply a hydrating conditioner in the same way. This will replenish your hair extensions with as much moisture as possible, and help keep them looking healthy and shiny.

02. Drying

Once you’ve finished shampooing, conditioning and rinsing each one of your clip-in hair extensions, it’s time to let them dry! Always make sure your extensions are tangle-free before allowing them to dry by gently running your fingers through them. This is much kinder to them than using a comb.

Once they’re all ready for the drying stage, I recommend lying your extensions out flat on a clean towel, then wrap the towel up around them into a kind of hair extension sausage roll. Gently squeeze the towel to get rid of any excess water, then leave your extensions lying flat on the towel to dry naturally. If you’re in a hurry you can blow-dry them, but it’s much better if you can leave them to dry naturally away from direct heat.

If, despite your best efforts, circumstance dictates that you simply must dry your extensions in a rush, always remember to use a heat protection spray when blow-drying. This will not only help to protect your extensions against premature dryness and breakage, but it will also keep them looking shiny and feeling silky smooth. It goes without saying that you should also always, always use a heat protector when using any other kind of heat styling tool on your clip-in hair extensions too.

03. Brushing

It’s really important to brush your extensions regularly to keep them looking silky and smooth. A big brushing no-no, however, is to start brushing at the top of the weft next to the clips. All this will do is push the tangles down the length of your extensions, where they’ll tighten into knots along the way. Don’t do it! Instead, start by gently brushing the section of hair at the tips in a downwards motion, then start brushing from the section above, gradually working your way to the top of the hair as it de-tangles. Don’t forget what I said before about it being best to use a gentle brush that’s been designed especially for use on hair extensions.

04. Storing

Once you’ve finished wearing your clip-in hair extensions it’s time to store them carefully! Before you do this, it’s always a good idea to ensure that they are free from tangles, as well as being nice and clean. This is because some hair products have a knack for damaging or discolouring your beloved clip-in hair extensions if they’re left on for too long. It’s also important to care for your clip-in hair extensions by ensuring they’re kept free from mildew and mustiness – always remember to make sure that they are completely dry before putting them away. This way you’ll avoid any unpleasant surprises the next time you come to use them!

And there you have it – my top tips for caring for your clip-in hair extensions. I hope you found it useful. And if you’ve read this and are now thinking that you’d like to treat yourself to some nice new clip-in hair extensions, I highly recommend checking out https://www.oxyextensions.co.uk, who have a wide range of different extensions to suit everyone.

Do you have any other tips for caring for clip-in hair extensions?
If so, let me know in the comments below!

1. 17/01/2018 / 2:50 pm

I used to want hair extentions so bad, but then i thought they would be so difficult to maintain!

2. Jess
    17/01/2018 / 4:16 pm

My friend spends so much on clip ins because she doesn’t bloody look after them! I might send her this post just to be sly lol. I think most people think that because they aren’t your real hair they don’t need much effort, but they really do.

3. 17/01/2018 / 6:12 pm

I don’t have any hair extensions, but I was thinking of getting some clip in ones for my daughter in different colors. This is a great post so I make sure we take good care of them.
    Ashley recently posted…New Weekly Vlog Bus Stop StoriesMy Profile

4. 17/01/2018 / 7:08 pm

My better half was talking about getting hair extensions recently. I will point her to this post. Thank you:)

5. 17/01/2018 / 11:55 pm

I don’t have hair extensions, but want to get them. This is great info for when I do!

6. 17/01/2018 / 11:58 pm

These are great tips! I have always loved the look of extensions but the upkeep of them have been intimidating. I did not know it was so a pretty easy thing to do.

7. 18/01/2018 / 3:51 am

I offered to put in hair extensions on the cheetah,make him look like a lion but he decided to pass.
    I guess if done right,extensions do add to one’s look. While not for me,still a nicely written blog,Louise!

8. 18/01/2018 / 3:51 am

I have never worn or had put extensions on me but have seen them. I guess is a good solution but still you have to take good care of them for those to look good.

9. 18/01/2018 / 4:25 am

Okay, I have a question – are clip in’s heavy on your head/hair? I had a set that was sent to me for review but couldn’t wear them….thye were too too heavy 🙁 Maybe I just got a “bad” brand?

10. 18/01/2018 / 12:23 pm

These are some great tips – I’ve never worn hair extensions but I have friends that do so will send this to them 🙂
    Rebecca Smith recently posted…What Type Of Mum Are You?My Profile

11. Dannii
    18/01/2018 / 1:26 pm

I have been thinking about getting hair extensions, but they look like a lot of hard work to look after.

12. 18/01/2018 / 2:29 pm

I have never had hair extensoins before, but do know from friends you have to treat them right x

13. 18/01/2018 / 2:32 pm

I’ve never used hair extensions but have considered it. I will keep these tips in mind. Thanks for sharing them!

14. 18/01/2018 / 7:11 pm

I had hair extensions once but did’t use them as the colour and length was wrong! These tips are great for beginners using them and I would definitely try them again in the future.
    kirsty recently posted…Fitness Update Month 6My Profile

15. 18/01/2018 / 11:42 pm

I have never seen a real hair extension, call me old, I am. lol I am from the big hair days. The more fluff and puff and hairspray the better. Oh, what were we thinking? Anyhow, my granddaughters are starting the dyeing stage so soon will be the extensions etc Now I’ll know how to help them and won’t get the oh, grandma sigh.

16. 19/01/2018 / 1:17 am

I’ve never used hair extensions before so this is really good to know. It’s really important to use all the right tools to make sure that you don’t damage the hair.

17. Kelly Reci
    19/01/2018 / 7:41 am

I always wanted to have hair extension but I am hesitating because I don’t know how to manage. But now looks like it is very easy to manage.

18. Joanna
    19/01/2018 / 10:18 am

This is a very useful post for people who wear extensions. I have never tried them but I would love to as my hair is quite thin. Caring for extensions is very important though so your tips are spot on!

19. Elizabeth O
    19/01/2018 / 12:55 pm

This is a lovely useful post for those looking for hair extensions, I would love to try them but they seemed like hard work to maintain, with these steps it doesn’t seem so taxing!

20. 19/01/2018 / 1:15 pm

I have never tried using hair extensions. My hair has always been long.

21. Ron Leyba
    19/01/2018 / 5:17 pm

Great useful tips. For sure many will find this very helpful. Thanks for putting this up.

22. Becca Wilson
    19/01/2018 / 8:39 pm

I have always wanted some extensions. I know that they take a lot of care to be able to make them last.

23. 21/01/2018 / 10:24 am

Not something I have personally ever tried but I never knew there was so much needed to look after extensions!

24. Candy
    21/01/2018 / 5:25 pm

This is something I have never done and know nothing about. For those looking to do this you have covered everything needed to know.

25. 22/01/2018 / 1:26 am

I am someone who knows absolutely nothing about hair extensions so this was a really helpful post. I have been thinking of getting some and adding some length to my hair! Now I don’t feel so lost when considering clip ins!

26. 22/01/2018 / 1:38 am

It would seem to me that caring for hair extensions would be very important. Your tips look very easy to follow.

27. 22/01/2018 / 2:53 am

I have never tried hair extensions, but is such a nice option to have if you want longer or thicker hair. It would be fun to try them, and good to know how to take care of them if you are going to invest.
    Marysa recently posted…Easy DIY Floral LettersMy Profile

28. 22/01/2018 / 4:21 am

I’ve never had hair extensions before but I’ve thought about it at times. Right now my hair is pretty long. I probably need to cut it soon.
    Heather recently posted…Weaning Your Baby The Vegan WayMy Profile

29. 22/01/2018 / 4:49 am

I was thinking about getting some and didn’t realize you had to do anything for them. This is great info!

30. 22/01/2018 / 12:51 pm

It is refreshing to see that I already do all these with my weaves. Thanks for posting!

31. Jeanine
    22/01/2018 / 3:34 pm

Wonderful tips! I’ve never tried clip-in hair extensions but I would love to at some point. I think it would be so fun to play with and see how the different looks are!

32. 23/01/2018 / 1:39 am

I’ve worn hair extensions before. They were too much work so I didn’t wear them long! Lol

33. 23/01/2018 / 7:38 am

These are some great tips! I’ve always wanted to try hair extensions but they seem so expensive.