7 Items Every Beginner Angler Must Have

If you’ve always wanted to try your hand at angling, here are the essential things you must have before you begin.

Stacey Fishing

01. A Rod and Reel

There’s a lot of angling gear out there. The key for you is to keep things simple and look for a reel and rod combination that you can use for both lure and bait fishing. A great starting point is a medium action rod as it will give you the ability to catch a range of different species most often found in rivers and lakes. First timers are also advised to begin with spinning reels before trying to use bait-casting reels. You can find all your Gold Coast fishing tackle right here.

02. The Line

Fishing line comes in so many different diameters and materials. Overall, larger diameters are stronger. Braided lines are incredibly thin and strong. As a beginning angler, keep things simple and pick monofilament which will stretch and offer great buoyancy.

Stacey Fishing

03. The Tackle

There are three different kinds of tackle you should consider:

• Weights – These provide more casting distance and will help keep the bait under the water. Stick with basic split shot weights if you’re a new angler.
  • Hooks – Make sure you choose hooks that aren’t snelled.
  • Floats – Also known as strike indicators or bobbers, they keep bait off the bottom and give you a good indication.

04. The Bait

The most effective live bait is nightcrawler. Live shiners also work well for predatory fish.

Stacey's First Fish

05. The Lures

If you start getting bored with bait fishing, you’ll know it’s time to try lures. Some of the most common lures include:

• Soft plastics
  • Spinnerbaits
  • Top water lures

06. Castable Fish Finder

A sonar device is ideal for making sure there are fish under the water. Wireless fish finders have become popular with anglers, and an affordable option if you’re just starting out.

Stacey Fishing with Dad

07. The Tackle Bag

Finally, first time anglers must get a good bag in which to keep all their gear. A single shoulder bag is usually big enough to hold all of the items we have mentioned above and is also comfortable enough to lug around all day. Remember, you need to be as mobile as possible as you might find yourself changing spots quite often to chase the fish. If you don’t want your hands full when moving around the river bank, make sure you have a top-quality tackle bag that holds all your gear.

7 Items Every Beginner Angler Should Have

With the above items, you’ll be ready to try your hand at angling in no time at all.

Have you ever fancied trying your hand at angling?
Why not let me know in the comments below.

1. 20/04/2018 / 10:39 am

My ex was a keen fisher and as much as I hated to admit it, I kinda enjoyed going fishing with him!

2. 20/04/2018 / 7:06 pm

I went fishing once with my partner and it was a ultimate fail. I don’t think he knew what he was doing though. This is good advice for beginners 😊

3. 20/04/2018 / 9:12 pm

Oh sweet, she looks so happy with her new hobby! My husband loved a spot of angling in his “old life” as he calls it. My inlaws had a boat in Florida and although it is a completely different type of fishing, he was furious as I totally outfished him one day! 😀

4. 20/04/2018 / 9:42 pm

This is great advice for beginners. I’ve only been fishing once in my life, but I did enjoy it!

5. 21/04/2018 / 3:20 am

Fishing can be a restful stress defying hobby . What makes it even more enjoyable is fishing with dad

6. 22/04/2018 / 6:12 pm

I used to love fishing as a child, but have forgotten the art now. Will have to see if there is somewhere we can try fishing locally
    Kara recently posted…Silent Sunday – 22nd April 2018My Profile

7. 30/04/2018 / 10:35 am

I bet it’s really relaxing sitting by the lake like that x

8. Candy
    06/05/2018 / 8:48 pm

We have all of that except for the fish finder. For us that is just part of fishing. Wonderful to see how excited the grandkids get when they hook a fish

9. Lisa
    06/05/2018 / 9:58 pm

Great post! My sister and brother love to fish, they were just talking about taking my kids to a new fishing bank. I just might get me a new pole and go also

10. 06/05/2018 / 10:02 pm

These are great ideas for new anglers. Might have to take the kids some time and use what I’ve read in your post.

11. 06/05/2018 / 10:26 pm

I can remember learning to fish with my Dad. He was so patient with teaching us every detail and of course we just ended up throwing rocks into the water after a little time passed.

12. Bonnie G
    07/05/2018 / 1:03 am

What a cute post. Gets me excited to take my kiddos fishing. Thanks for sharing these must haves. I still have a few things to pick up for this year.

13. 07/05/2018 / 2:13 am

We grew up fishing whether it was local or while we went camping in the Adirondacks. These are definitely important items for the new and seasoned angler should have. What I loved most about fishing as a child or with my own children are the memories I have to look back on. By the way great catch!!

14. 07/05/2018 / 2:15 am

What a great post about fishing! I am not a fisher myself but I think this would be great for someone who is starting out!

15. 07/05/2018 / 2:27 am

This is such a fun thing to do with kids. How cool that you are passing down some good skills to your daughter – she looks like she’s having fun. Thanks for sharing!
    Marysa recently posted…7 Mother’s Day Gift Ideas for Your MomMy Profile

• Terri Beavers
      08/05/2018 / 4:29 am

My husband loves taking our boys fishing. He always talks about how he hates how fishing has become so commercialized. This is a great post that focuses on just the necessary items so that beginners can have fun.

16. 07/05/2018 / 4:37 am

What a fun post! Looks like you’ve covered all the bases on becoming a fisherperson for all the little ones. Now they just have to wait to yell “fish on”!

17. 07/05/2018 / 9:22 pm

My daughters would love a wireless fish finder! I spent so many weekends and summers fishing with my family. I’d love to do more to get my daughters out enjoying the sport too.

18. 07/05/2018 / 11:27 pm

My kids love to go fishing! We really need to do it more often. It is something that is easy to do, thanks for sharing your tips.
    sara recently posted…Pinterest Tips for BloggersMy Profile