5 Features to Look for When Choosing the Best Beard Trimmer

The most important thing to remember for guys sporting a beard is to always keep it tidy. Sounds easy enough, but this is not always the case. You don’t have to worry, as most electric razors and beard trimmers can do a good job of keeping your beard neat and tidy in all circumstances. This list has everything you need to know before choosing the best beard trimmer possible.

5 Features to Look for When Choosing the Best Beard Trimmer

The first question you should be asking yourself before checking out beard trimmers is how you plan to use the trimmer? Is it just for your beard, or do you also want to use it for trimming your hair and other parts of the body?

Many beard trimmers can be used to trim your head and body hair as well. Before choosing the right trimmer, you should have in mind that some trimmers are best suited for short hair and others for long hair. This is very important because you should choose the trimmer that supports the length of your beard.

Corded or Cordless

Corded trimmers generally have more power than cordless beard trimmers, and this is probably one of the most prominent differences between them. Corded trimmers are also more reliable, but cordless models have one major advantage: you can use them almost anywhere.

However, it’s a good thing to know that cordless beard trimmers have a limited cutting time. The amount of cutting time varies depending on the trimmer, but most trimmers provide from forty minutes up to an hour of cutting time.

Battery Life

Choosing a cordless beard trimmer has its advantages, but you will need to take into consideration the length of the battery life. For best results, you should always use your cordless beard trimmer with a fully-charged battery. It’s very convenient if you are on the run and have to groom in your car, for example. You don’t have to worry about the cord. The bad part about using cordless beard trimmers is that they have limited cutting time. In case the trimmer’s battery runs out, you will have to recharge the trimmer before you can use it again.

Different trimmers use different types of batteries. The two most common types are:

• NiMH (nickel-metal-hydride).
  • Lithium-ion.

Lithium-ion batteries last longer than NiMH models but cost more money.

Types of Blades

Some beard trimmers come with dual-edged blades that give you extra precision and more options to shape your beard. Stainless steel blades are more resistant to corrosion, last longer and generally are more comfortable than other types. Many newer and more expensive trimmers will use carbon steel blades, that can be much sharper than stainless steel.

Wet and Dry

Many beard trimmer models today are waterproof and can be used while your face is wet. Unlike trimmers that allow you to use them with a dry face only, waterproof models let you use them in the shower. In this way, you can save a lot of time, and you can also use the trimmer with foams and gels. The best part is that you don’t have to worry about cleaning, as waterproof trimmers let you wash them with water.

And there you have it, 5 features to look for when choosing your next beard trimmer.

5 Features to Look for When Choosing the Best Beard Trimmer

Do you have a specific type or brand that you sway towards when choosing a new beard trimmer?
Why not let me know in the comments below.

Thanks for reading guys.

1. 02/02/2018 / 1:37 pm

I need to forward this post to my dad, his beard looks like the mans (just a tad more grey lol) and he needs a good beard trimmer, would also be a great birthday present. Thanks so much for posting this 🙌🏼

2. 02/02/2018 / 10:00 pm

Handy to know if you are buying a gift for someone with a beard. My son has one and he could do with a beard trimmer, so will consider this for him
    Mellissa Williams recently posted…Garden Style Trends For 2018My Profile

3. 03/02/2018 / 9:27 pm

My nephew who is at uni is sporting an unruly beard maybe I should suggest this trimmer to him, looks like it would work wonders.

4. 04/02/2018 / 11:17 am

My boyfriend can’t grow a proper beard however he needs a good trimmer that would even his hairs out to look neat because it’s either super short or super messy!

5. Bryanna Skye
    04/02/2018 / 1:34 pm

Ive been trying to pick a trimmer for my partner for ages – this really helps make it easier so thank you!

6. 04/02/2018 / 2:42 pm

The Husband still uses a wet blade and only gets as far as a bit of stubble. Apparently beards are ‘the thing’ in London where he works though. I must admit I prefer to see a man with a tidy beard – I’m not a big fan of them.
    Linda Hobbis recently posted…Have You Got The Welcome Mat Out For Anxiety?My Profile

7. 04/02/2018 / 4:25 pm

My husband tends to keep his hairy face under control with wet shaving, but my grown up son is all about grooming his beard. I imagine for him having the right trimmer is as important as my daughter having the right hair straighteners.

8. 05/02/2018 / 12:25 am

I think it’s really important to find the right one and also it makes such a huge difference. My partner is a Barber and I never knew so much went into Beard maintenance but it does

Laura x
    Laura recently posted…Positivity and the Power of using a Life PlannerMy Profile

9. 05/02/2018 / 11:40 am

I must share this with my hubbie he has a beard and hates his trimmer atm. There are so many on the market and finding the right one is so important
    Lynne Harper recently posted…Take Care Of YourselfMy Profile

10. 05/02/2018 / 6:47 pm

This post has popped up at the best time for me! My husband’s clippers have blunted and he’s on the lookout for a new set!

11. 06/02/2018 / 9:44 am

I would really love a cordless beard trimmer for Valentine’s Day. I think it’s really helpful for me.

12. 06/02/2018 / 11:00 am

I guess this is an important guide for males, I’ve never really thought about the kind of things they would need to maintain and look after their beards before! Funny how we don’t think about the other half and what they need for beauty sometimes. My husband shaves as he isn’t a facial hair kinda guy but the importance of a good blade I can understand.
    kirsty recently posted…The Fire Child – SK TremayneMy Profile

13. 06/02/2018 / 3:36 pm

I didn’t realise there was different battery types for a beard trimmer, that’s definitely good to know. This is really handy for Birthday and Christmas referencing as I wouldn’t have been confident enough to buy any of the men in my life a beard trimmer
    Tanya recently posted…Compliments and Confidence with Some Body by SuperdrugMy Profile

14. 06/02/2018 / 7:22 pm

Weirdly nobody in my family has a beard… great ideas for those that have though. X

15. 06/02/2018 / 8:00 pm

These are all important tips and so many men have beards these days. My hubby has a cordless one but he doesn’t use it lots x

16. 09/02/2018 / 2:52 pm

Uhmm. Good info for men. Good thing no one in my family do have beard.