Updating your bathroom, without breaking the bank!

We all have to agree, that the bathroom is one of the most important, and the busiest rooms of the house, but as it’s tucked away from main view, it can be easy for it to be overlooked when you’re looking to update or redesign aspects of your home.

Most would rather spend their makeover money on the living room, or their bedroom – which is fair enough, so how can you update your bathroom without breaking the bank? Or breaking into the cash you’ve set aside for other rooms in your home?

Here, you’ll get the lowdown on the easiest ways to make your bathroom look fresh, new and stylish.

Updating Your Bathroom, Without Breaking the Bank

Updating your bathroom can be as easy as installing a couple of new taps for your sink. Or a couple of glass shelves for all your toiletries. Companies like Better Bathrooms have an amazing range of bathroom accessories, from mirrors to towel rails, toilet roll holders to a new shower head, so the hardest thing will be choosing which style you want to go for!

Want to shower with music? Drag your bathroom into the 21st Century and install some Bluetooth speakers! The possibilities are endless.

Consider Colours

Painting walls, shelves or a vanity can be an inexpensive way to update your bathroom without having to make any other big changes. But before you start slathering a bright new colour on your walls, take a few things into consideration.

Remember that the bathroom is a place that is full of moisture! Spray from the sink and steam from the hot shower plays havoc with wall paper and freshly painted walls! So, use a water-based primer, this will help keep moisture off your walls and prevent mildew. You’ll also want to look into a mildew-resistant paint too – but don’t worry, this is available in a wide range of colours, so it shouldn’t hinder your creativity too much!

Lighten Up!

Even a great bathroom can feel drab and depressing when the lighting isn’t right. Start with the least expensive lighting fix. Trim thick shrubbery covering your windows from outside and even replace that dusty and faded old blind that hangs in the window space.

Adding mirrors also gives the illusion of space and they help create a light, airy space. See? Mirrors aren’t just for over the sink!

And we’re not just talking electrical lighting solutions either. Why not position a few candles here and there in your bathroom and give it that spa feel? If you don’t like the idea of a naked flame, then look into battery powered LED candles instead.

Half empty bottles of shampoo, abandoned beauty supplies and even the kids toys pile up fast in the bathroom, so consider getting a new storage cabinet. Got space above your toilet? Why not install a couple of shelves? Or fit an inexpensive unit around the base of the sink? You could also half your bathroom supplies too to free up some space!

Do you have any other tips for updating your bathroom without breaking the bank?
Why not let me know in the comments below.

1. 11/12/2017 / 2:34 pm

I would love to update our bathroom, in particular I really want a new shower. But I agree there are ways of changing it up in the short term by changing colour etc I like getting in new fluffy towels, that always makes me feel better about it too. Thank you for the tips.
    Nichola – Globalmouse recently posted…Our family road trip through Florida and GeorgiaMy Profile

2. 11/12/2017 / 3:37 pm

Updating accessories is definitely one of the ways I give my interiors a little makeover without spending a lot of money. Small changes really can make all the difference!

3. 11/12/2017 / 4:33 pm

I have recently updated the bathroom and added a new bathroom cabinet, a few shelves and some pictures and it really makes a difference!

4. 11/12/2017 / 5:17 pm

Storage solutions always make my bathroom look different as you’re hiding away all the things which make it look cluttered. Also a different colour bath and toilet mat makes a huge difference x
    Rhian Westbury recently posted…Five Things – Week 94My Profile

5. 11/12/2017 / 6:54 pm

This is a great post. We are going to be re-doing our whole house basically over the next 5 years and the bathroom is one thing in particular I want to change and update; I’d love to add a jacuzzi tub into it!
    Alicia recently posted…Parent’s Choice Formula at WalmartMy Profile

6. 11/12/2017 / 9:43 pm

I am so with you- a well designed bathroom is a total game changer! I love these easy tips, especially the reminder to declutter and throw away all of those empty bottles. Will have to make time for a quick cleaning session today!

7. Joanna
    12/12/2017 / 12:32 pm

I am guilty of having a million bottles of half empty shampoos and shower gels, hair and face masks and a lot of other products on the side of my tub. Like really, it’s a struggle to get it. Some shelves above the toilet would be a brilliant idea where to keep all of them.

8. 12/12/2017 / 9:55 pm

These are great tips! I’d love to update my bathroom but it’s not in the budget so I’ll have to use these ideas to update it a bit until I can afford a total redo 🙂
    Alicia recently posted…Great Gifts For KidsMy Profile

9. 12/12/2017 / 11:32 pm

I’ve recently updated my bedroom and my next project is my bathroom. This post was super helpful – thank you! I’m going to be painting the walls so I’m so glad you mentioned using a primer and also looking for mildew-resistant paint, such a great idea!

10. Dannii
    13/12/2017 / 10:03 am

Adding some colour can totally transform a room. As can adding some new towels and some candles I think.

11. 13/12/2017 / 12:11 pm

I agree that one should consider low budget ways for updating the bathroom. Lightning and colour modifications really make a tremendous difference. Will apply these on the bathrooms in my house.

12. 13/12/2017 / 4:09 pm

These are all great tips. My bathroom is SO small, I’d never thought of using the space under the sink so I’ll definitely be looking in to that. And adding another mirror to try make it look bigger too.
    Helen recently posted…Bodyfit Collagen Plus tablets review *My Profile

13. 13/12/2017 / 7:44 pm

I love this! I painted my bathroom last year a really light, gray-ish teal and it brightened the space up so much!

14. 15/12/2017 / 10:52 pm

I think having nice bright lighting makes a real difference to a bathroom – otherwise it’s so depressing when you’re brushing your teeth on a cold winter’s day!