Help! My Kids are Making My Hair Fall Out

If you’re the mum of a young child you’ll probably have made a joke to a friend or family member on more than one occasion about how they’ve had you pulling your hair out. I know I have! I was recently thinking about all the things my kids have done over the years that have had me feeling like I’m pulling my hair out, and as I can laugh about them now, I thought I’d share some of them with you guys today.

I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I enjoyed taking a trip down memory lane to put this post together. Are you sitting comfortably? Then let’s go!

Help! My Kids are Making My Hair Fall Out

01. When Stacey was in nursery school we went on holiday to Cornwall, and one day we decided to head into Polperro for a few hours. As we walked down into the village, Stacey decided she needed to use the toilet. And as she was a big girl, she didn’t need any help from mummy. So what did I do? I let her go into the cubicle alone while I manned it from the outside. Big mistake! Why? Because she only decided to strip off from the waist down before sitting on the toilet, and her shorts and pants landed in a muddy puddle on the floor. Yuck! Of course, it was sod’s law this happened on the one day I’d forgotten to take some spare clothes out with me, so she had to walk around in wet clothes until they dried. And the great big muddy stain on the back of her shorts made it look like she’d had an accident in her pants … lovely!

Oscar

02. Last year mum and I took Oscar to Thomas Land at Drayton Manor for the day. He’d been as good as gold, and as he’s train mad he was really looking forward to the journey home. But once we got on the train, the mischief started. He took a shine to the lady sitting opposite us, and wouldn’t stop asking her questions, even though it was clear she was wanting to sit quietly and read her book. Mum and I were constantly trying to distract him, but he was having none of it. Then suddenly, out of the blue, he asked “Lady, do you have a winky?” Oh. My. God! In all fairness to her, she handled it brilliantly and told him she didn’t. But instead of leaving it there he went on to tell her who had and hadn’t got winky’s in our family. It was the biggest case of verbal diarrhoea I think he’s ever had. We just couldn’t stop him. That poor woman! I can still feel the hairs on my head turning grey whenever I think about this. I was so embarrassed. And if you’re reading this and are the lady from the train, I’m sorry again. He doesn’t usually go off like that!

Little Stacey

03. Before Oscar came along we lived in a house with a big back garden, and every night when Stacey had gone to bed, I would go outside and water the plants. Most nights she would hear me and pull back the curtains so she could wave or pull faces at me through the window. One night though, I looked up and saw her sobbing her heart out. Worried she’d hurt herself, I ran inside and up the stairs quicker than I’d ever done before, only to find her sitting at the bottom of the bed with the curtain in her hand. She’d only pulled it back too hard and pulled the whole rail down, bits of wall and all! Needless to say, she wouldn’t wave at me through the window after that!

Oscar

04. I think it’s safe to say that Oscar is the worst listener in the whole world! He refuses to listen to a word that anyone says. Unless of course, I’ve told him we’re doing something on a certain day, or he can have a treat for doing something good. That he hears. And he doesn’t forget. He will go on, and on, and on, and on, until he gets what he’s been promised. If only I could get him to listen to everything else I say!

Stacey and Oscar

05. I’m usually one of those super smug mums who is always telling people how much my kids love each other and how well they get along. But this school holiday they have done nothing but bicker! I feel like I’ve spent the last 3 weeks doing nothing but play referee. Please tell me this will end soon, guys. I don’t think I can cope with it for much longer!

Stacey

06. When Stacey was almost 3, I was upstairs putting some washing away when she decided to sit on the top step and keep leaning forward as if she was going to throw herself down them. I kept fetching her away and explained that if she wasn’t careful she would fall and hurt herself. But, in typical toddler fashion, she didn’t listen. And the next thing I knew she’d leaned too far and fallen. My mum was downstairs and went rushing over to her to be told that, wait for it … I’d pushed her! I couldn’t believe it, and was really upset that she thought I’d done it. That wasn’t the end of it though. Over the next few weeks she told everyone we knew how I’d pushed her downstairs. We laugh about it now, but at the time I was convinced that social services were going to knock at my door and I’d find myself in big trouble.

Oscar in Bed

07. And last but certainly not least, Oscar is still not sleeping for more than a couple of hours a night. It’s so frustrating, and I’ve started to experience actual hair loss, which my doctor is convinced is caused by a lack of sleep. I’m getting an average of about 2 hours per night at the moment, which is a far cry from the recommended 8. I hate the way my hair looks now it’s beginning to fall out, and I’ve recently been looking at the hair transplant cost at the Harley Street Hair Clinic, as I feel I may need some serious help from them if things don’t start to improve for me soon. I mean, I know I don’t have the nicest hair, but I don’t want to lose it all yet. I’m only 32!

And there you have it, the 7 things my kids have done over the years that have had me, quite literally, pulling my hair out!

Do you have any stories to share of the things your kids do that make you pull your hair out?
Let me know in the comments below!

Thanks for reading.

This post has been sponsored by Harley Street Hair Clinic. All views are my own.

1. 16/08/2017 / 8:48 pm

Today my son decided to drop his shorts in front of everyone waiting to get their babies weighed at out local weigh in clinic just to show them his gruffalo pants. Oh the shame!
    The London Mum recently posted…East Village Market, StratfordMy Profile

2. 16/08/2017 / 9:55 pm

This post really made me laugh, especially the train story. Thanks for sharing.

3. 17/08/2017 / 3:37 am

I hear you about the bickering. I have a 7 year old and a 1 year old. Yes, a 1 year old….they still somehow manage to find things to fight about. My toddler has a VERY limited vocabulary, of course, but they manage to argue anyway in their own way.
    Carrie Chance recently posted…40 Clove Garlic ChickenMy Profile

4. 17/08/2017 / 4:37 am

Oh my goodness I can relate on so many levels! LOL The bickering is at an all time high with my two toddlers and its enough for me to rip my hair out! They have a major hate love thing going on and for the most part its adorable but on heavy work/project load days it can be a bit much.
    Jasmine recently posted…Easily Manage Your Kids Screen TimeMy Profile

5. Crystal
    17/08/2017 / 7:28 am

My hair really did fall out thanks to the kids. My hair is so much thinner after Baby #3. I guess it was a pain-saver because the kids’ eye rolls are making me want to pull out what’s left.

6. 17/08/2017 / 8:28 am

These all made me laugh! The worst for me was when gracie was a toddler she pointed to an old lady in a quiet cafe and said ‘mummy look that lady looks like a monkey’. I nearly died.

7. 17/08/2017 / 9:31 am

A really humorous post, children really can challenge us in ways that we don’t expect x

8. 17/08/2017 / 7:08 pm

This has pretty much been my life over the last 5 years. Could you imagine if someone told us this is what life as a parent would actually be like? We would think they were crazy!

9. 17/08/2017 / 8:08 pm

Oh, that poor lady on the train! My main problem lately is my son playing with his willy, he just can’t stop tugging at it! We went for ice cream today and while I was ordering my husband noticed him doing it and had to have words! Luckily if the lady serving us noticed, she was nice enough not to say anything!

10. 17/08/2017 / 10:26 pm

I’m sorry but this did make me laugh, but I do sympathise! My hair is falling out too – especially through the six weeks holiday!! I have way too many stories to choose from but just today we had a poo related disaster that resulted in three of my carpets needing to be cleaned…..!
    five little doves recently posted…Learning about wildlife with BoxwildMy Profile

11. 17/08/2017 / 11:34 pm

This made me giggle! 🙂 today’s pull out hair moment was me hoovering the whole of downstairs to then find the 8 year old casually dipping her lolly in the double dip sherbet and getting it everywhere!! X
    Kira hutt recently posted…mum-made | review & giveawayMy Profile

12. 18/08/2017 / 7:11 am

Why do they always have accidents or do something to their clothes when you have forgotten spares? It’s like guaranteeing an accident isn’t it? And on my god on the stairs, so cheeky!!

13. Lynne Harper
    18/08/2017 / 12:56 pm

I absolutely loved this post, I pull my hair out on a daily basis lol especially in summer ha. Not to mention the increased wrinkles x

14. 18/08/2017 / 2:16 pm

My daughter is 13 now but as she is ill we are not having the stroppy teens. When she was younger it was a daily thing and when all 3 were together I wanted to hide. I can say the two grown up kids are worse now than when they were younger x

15. 18/08/2017 / 9:53 pm

Oh I love the story of asking the lady if she had a winky! So funny but yes, cringe!
    Lily one time decided to point to EVERY and I mean EVERY man in our carriage and say DADDY?? Which made some of the men embarrassed too. I was thinking, What ARE you trying to say about your mummy!! haha
    Cassandra Mayers recently posted…Painting Lily’s Fairy DoorMy Profile

16. Jemma
    19/08/2017 / 7:47 am

Oh no! Kids are wonderful, but they know how to push all the buttons don’t they.

17. 20/08/2017 / 4:43 pm

My hair is literally falling out because I have thyroid problem which causes it to do it. Normally I am on top of it but the second pregnancy has thrown it all over the place. I know it will recover. Yet I can really appreciate how people feel if they have a condition. Good to know there are other options. I hope your two give you a bit of a break for the rest of the Summer xx
    Mudpie Fridays recently posted…Splash About Baby All in One SunsuitMy Profile

18. 24/08/2017 / 11:06 am

This is hilarious! We went to Kensington Palace as few months ago and were relaxing in the gardens as it was a lovely day. One of my twins decided she had to wee and couldn’t hold it so went around a tree and popped a squat! She realised she wet her tights a bit so she proceeded to take them off and run around in an attempt to dry them. It was so embarrassing, but hilarious nonetheless!

19. 25/08/2017 / 9:29 pm

It’s always good to know that we aren’t alone in wanting to hide from our kids and not claim that we know them! One day we were in line to get a burger at a fast food place that was packed. There was a man that had one leg shorter than the other so he had on a platform shoe. My daughter (3 at the time) pointed and yelled really loud “Mommy, look at that man’s really tall shoe!” I wanted to die!
    Laurie Floyd recently posted…Amazon: “Mommy is My Bestie” Bodysuit Romper + Headband ONLY $6.65 Shipped!My Profile

20. 26/08/2017 / 4:27 am

Kids! You gotta love them! One minute they make you crazy and the next minute you are pulling your hair out literally. As a mom of 3, I can totally relate to this.

21. 28/08/2017 / 4:03 pm

Oh gosh yes, my son is going through a phase of hating going in any shops and hearing him scream drives me crazy along with his fussy eating. Kids eh?
    Joanna recently posted…Vaping the way to go?My Profile

22. 31/08/2017 / 7:09 pm

Oh the joys of motherhood! Thanks for sharing your list. My kids can drive me insane too! My toddler has been running around screaming all summer long and my 9 year old does not stop talking, ever! I’m ready for some peace and quite. First day of school please get here already!