5 Dos and Don’ts on What to Wear to a Summer Wedding

Summer is the most popular wedding season because the weather tends to be more consistent during this time of the year. Due to the friendly weather, the couple can expect more friends and family to attend. If you’re one of the attendees, you could also benefit from the fact that it is easy to dress up during the summer months. Just take note of these dos and don’ts so you will not go beyond the dress code for weddings.

5 Dos and Don’ts on What to Wear to a Summer Wedding

01. Do adjust your style depending on the wedding location.

Check the invitation first and see if it specifies a dress code. However, there are instances when there are no dress codes identified in the invitation. Ask the bride or groom as well. If there aren’t any, simply set your style based on the wedding location. The good thing about a summer wedding is that the couple has a lot of options in terms of the theme. It can be done indoors or outdoors. For a wedding in a hotel venue, the safest option is a cocktail dress. If you want to get away from the usual short and sweet outfit, go for a maxi dress with slim silhouettes. Pair it with barely-there stilettoes for that sexy vibe. For a beachfront ceremony, choose a floral dress or a bright dress.

02. Do opt for lightweight fabric.

The summer months are the best season to wear those skin-baring necklines and airy skirts. Never settle for any heavy fabric especially when you are planning to dance the night away. The best fabrics for summer are cotton, linen, and silk because they keep the skin cool during the hot weather. Rayon is a good fabric option for outdoor weddings because it is cool, comfortable, and absorbs humidity.

03. Do wear a nice, elegant dress.

It’s possible to look fantastic without upstaging the bride. You can be one of the best-dressed guests by choosing an elegant number. If you are looking for a one-stop shop for dresses that lets you select from a number of brands, head to Franchesca Pret a Porter.

04. Don’t wear black or white.

It’s fine to wear a dress that has some black and white elements. However, it’s time to forget your LBD or your plain white dress unless the couple themselves required you to wear these colors. Wearing white is like stealing attention that is supposed to be given to the bride while wearing black is considered bad luck.

05. Don’t show too much skin.

If you were required to wear a cocktail dress, you have no option but to wear a short dress. One of the biggest questions ladies have is, how short is too short? If it is a church ceremony, never wear something higher than your knees. Wearing a super tight and super short dress is inappropriate and disrespectful for a wedding. Save your micro minis for a date night or any less formal event.

As a wedding guest, you can show your respect to the couple by adhering to the dress code. A wedding is a celebration of love that should not be taken for granted. It’s better to dress up accordingly than to just follow what you feel like wearing on somebody’s else’s big day.

Do you have any additional do’s or don’ts on what to wear to a summer wedding?
Let me know in the comments below!

1. 11/07/2017 / 9:36 pm

Totally agree with all of these points! I do love a wedding x

2. 11/07/2017 / 11:06 pm

Those are great tips for what to wear to a summer wedding. I definitely agree with lightweight clothing because summer can have some hot temps!
    Jessica recently posted…Take That PictureMy Profile

3. 12/07/2017 / 9:31 am

Good tips! I love getting an outfit ready for a wedding, unfortunately I don’t have any this year!

4. 12/07/2017 / 10:50 am

Definitely agree with “don’t show too much skin” – so many times I’ve been to weddings and sat there looking at the female guests and just thought “why?” 🙁 it’s the brides day, so don’t detract away from that by getting your boobs out! x

5. 12/07/2017 / 7:36 pm

Great advice. I’ll add one more. Remember to not upstage the bride. It’s her day, not yours!

6. Nelu Mbingu
    12/07/2017 / 7:38 pm

Oh black too? I thought it was just white. Nice to know lol!!

7. 12/07/2017 / 10:49 pm

Great advice. I would have been gutted if anyone wore a white dress to my wedding!!
    Sarah recently posted…Blogging Goals 2017 #2My Profile

8. Pam
    12/07/2017 / 10:51 pm

These are all great tips. I so agree with the not showing too much skin. It takes away from the bride and the occasion.

9. 12/07/2017 / 11:29 pm

I definitely would not wear white to a wedding. It is best to dress like you are going to a formal event. Event if it does not specify. You should be decked out in your best.

10. 13/07/2017 / 12:23 am

Thanks for the tips. My brother is getting married in September and I need all the help I can get to find the right dress.

11. colleen kennedy
    13/07/2017 / 3:21 am

Great tips! I am so with you on the black/white!

12. 13/07/2017 / 3:28 am

I agree with black and white. White is competing against the bride and black is just a no no! I have not been to a wedding in years. It’s my 4 year anniversary today…perfect timing to read a post like this. Reminds me of my special day.

13. 13/07/2017 / 9:34 pm

Great points. I have never worn black to a wedding, I wasn’t sure if it was the done thing!

14. 22/07/2017 / 6:18 pm

Perfect timing….I have an outdoor wedding to attend next weekend. I live in Florida so it will be hot!

15. 23/07/2017 / 9:29 am

I totally agree with all of these tips. Especially not showing too much skin or wearing black or white. X

16. 24/07/2017 / 11:32 am

I wish I had this for our own wedding haha it was very hot and I hadn’t considered a light fabric (it is England after all) We had a heatwave and I was hot and uncomfortable all day
    Charlotte recently posted…The Pro’s And Cons Of A Cat Water FountainMy Profile

17. 28/07/2017 / 8:45 pm

Our was a summer, outdoor wedding. We asked people to wear shorts – unless they were in the wedding. I didn’t know black was unlucky at a wedding. However, summer weddings are too hot for black, anyway.
    Alicia Taylor recently posted…Creating Your Own Custom Shape CollageMy Profile

18. 05/08/2017 / 12:18 am

Simple is best in my opinion. A minimal look for weddings are my favorite and it never goes out of style.
    Jasmine recently posted…Miffy Toys Now At WalmartMy Profile