5 Hidden Gems in Derbyshire

I was recently asked by the lovely people over at Chill Car Insurance if I knew of any hidden gems in my local area. And as I’m lucky enough to live on the Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire border, I can safely say that there are a lot!

Now, I tend to talk about the things we get up to in the Nottinghamshire area quite a bit, so I thought I’d share 5 hidden gems in Derbyshire with you guys today. I hope you enjoy reading about some of my favourite places in the area.

Hidden Gems in Derbyshire - Lumsdale Valley, Near Matlock
01. LUMSDALE VALLEY, MATLOCK

First up I wanted to talk about Lumsdale Valley in Matlock, which truly is a hidden gem as it can be a little tricky to find! This place is perfect to visit if you enjoy walking as not only is it absolutely beautiful, but it’s steeped in history too. The recommended walking route begins at the top of the valley, in Upper Lumsdale, in the layby opposite the carpark entrance to Highfields Upper School.

The trail takes you past remnants of buildings from a bygone age, and there are information boards at poignant locations telling you all about the valley’s industrial past. These capture the history of the area perfectly and really bring the trail to life.

The trail also takes you past some beautiful natural waterfalls, and the scenery is just so breathtaking that it’s definitely not a place you’ll want to miss visiting if you’re ever in the area. It really is a beautiful place to explore, whatever the weather. I can’t recommend visiting highly enough!

Hidden Gems in Derbyshire - Peak Rail, Matlock

02. PEAK RAIL, MATLOCK

Next up is Peak Rail, which is also situated in the Matlock area. Peak Rail is a beautifully preserved steam railway, which is open to the public throughout the year and operates between Rowsley South and Matlock Platform 2 for a distance of 4 miles.

The journey itself takes around 20-25 minutes through the picturesque Derbyshire countryside in beautifully restored carriages. There’s a fully licensed buffet car on the train too, which is open on all Peak Rail operating days and serves a variety of alcoholic beverages, hot and cold drinks, sweets, chocolate, cakes, biscuits and crisps. And during certain times of the year, you can enjoy things such as Sunday dinner, afternoon tea or Christmas dinner on the train too! There’s nothing else like this in the area as far as I’m aware, so it makes a wonderful little day out.

Oscar is a massive fan of trains, and I’m hoping to take him to Peak Rail in May as a special treat for his 4th birthday. I think he’ll really enjoy it!

Hidden Gems in Derbyshire - Eyam Museum

03. EYAM MUSEUM, EYAM

If you enjoy visiting places that are steeped in history, then I think you’ll enjoy visiting the Eyam Museum, which tells the story of 260 Eyam villagers who sadly died from the bubonic plague back in 1665.

I remember going to Eyam for the first time when I was at primary school, and I’ve been back several times over the years as I find it such a fascinating place to visit. I think the plague story coupled with the beauty of the village is just amazing, and I would happily spend all day here.

Eyam is a truly magical place, made even more special by the fact that over 40 of the stewards who work at the museum live in or have a family connection to the village. You can see how much they want to keep it thriving and I can’t wait to take Oscar for a visit when he’s a little older.

Hidden Gems in Derbyshire - The Ritz Cinema, Belper

04. THE RITZ CINEMA, BELPER

When thinking of hidden gems in Derbyshire, the Ritz Cinema in Belper instantly comes to mind. You might be wondering what could be so special about a cinema, but once I tell you a little bit about this place I’m sure you’ll understand why I just had to include it.

The Ritz Cinema is a fabulous, independent cinema with a vintage feel. It has nice, big, comfy seats and sofas to sit on. And believe it or not, seeing the latest movies here is actually cheaper than going to one of the big multiplexes! The Ritz Cinema usually shows 2-3 movies per day. And they sell a wide range of hot and cold drinks and homemade cakes and desserts for you to enjoy while you watch too. Yum!

The staff here are super friendly, and if you’re after an enjoyable night out at the movies then the Ritz Cinema is definitely the place for you. You won’t find anywhere better.

Hidden Gems in Derbyshire - The Devonshire, Upper Langwith

05. THE DEVONSHIRE, UPPER LANGWITH

And last but certainly not least on my list of hidden gems in Derbyshire is a bar and restaurant called The Devonshire, which is situated in Upper Langwith – not too far from Bolsover.

I love this place as not only is it really close to where I live, but the meals they serve are freshly prepared to order, made with local produce, and taste absolutely delicious. I’ve never had a bad meal here!

The Devonshire had a major refurb last year when the new management took over, and the decor is absolutely beautiful inside. During the winter months, they have a real fire burning in the bar area, which gives it a real homely feel, and the eating area is lovely and spacious. I’ve tried quite a few different dishes from the main menu, and everything has been just delicious. I can’t fault them at all. I highly recommend eating here if you’re ever in the area. You won’t regret it.

5 Hidden Gems in Derbyshire

And there you have it, 5 hidden gems in Derbyshire that I absolutely love.

Have you ever visited any of these places before? Or do you know of any other hidden gems in Derbyshire?
Don’t forget to let me know in the comments below!
With love from Lou SignatureTwitter | Facebook | Bloglovin | Instagram | Pinterest

1. 22/01/2017 / 7:52 am

My parents live close by! I’ll send them a link to this so they can have some new gems for days out! Thanks 🙂

2. hannah
    22/01/2017 / 8:25 am

There looks like some really good places to visit there. Thanks for sharing x

3. 22/01/2017 / 9:50 am

Such great inclusions, sounds like there really is something for everyone! I’ve never been to Derbyshire at all!

4. 22/01/2017 / 11:36 am

What a lovely area you live in. I love museums so discovering more about the bubonic plague is right up my street!

5. 22/01/2017 / 12:12 pm

What a fantastic post, I live on the Nottinghamshire/Derby border too and there’s always lists of things to do in Nottingham but not so much Derby! I’m definitely going to suggest Lumsdale Valley to my fiancé next time we’re after something to do. Either that or Eyam Museum – I do love my history! xo

Emma-Louise | Dino’s Beauty

6. 22/01/2017 / 12:41 pm

These places look amazing! We don’t live miles away so would be perfect for a weekend away – thanks for sharing 🙂

7. 22/01/2017 / 9:15 pm

Sound like some great places to visit, similar to where I am, Somerset!

8. 23/01/2017 / 7:48 pm

All these places look fantastic – I don’t think I have ever been to Derbyshire. I must have a look at planning a visit. Kaz x

9. 23/01/2017 / 8:43 pm

I’d love a visit to the Ritz cinema – it sounds right up my street with its vintage-y theme. Mind you, probably a good job I don’t live there – I’d be out of pocket from visiting the place every week! If I’m in the area I’m definitely checking it out – and of course The Devonshire. . A lovely post and thanks for highlighting your lovely area.

10. 24/01/2017 / 12:17 am

Wow these places sounds and look amazing. I never been to Derbyshire before but this place makes me want to go 🙂

11. Kristina
    24/01/2017 / 8:29 am

wow love the look of these places 🙂 I haven’t been anywhere around this area but so tempted to go!

12. 25/01/2017 / 7:45 pm

Some lovely ideas for days out, if only I were closer. Think mine would love the peak rail

13. 31/01/2017 / 10:27 am

Very interesting post. I didn’t know about this gems. Thanks for the info. loved it:)

14. 11/02/2017 / 1:09 pm

My husband wants to bring the kids to Matlock this year, we will make sure to visit some of these paces for sure, they look beautiful <3

15. 15/01/2018 / 11:14 am

Your photos are truly amazing, definitely makes me want to pack my things and go ASAP.

16. 15/01/2018 / 12:09 pm

I’ve never been here, it looks so beautiful! Definitely going to have to visit and bring my camera 🙂 thank you for sharing it with us!

17. 15/01/2018 / 8:00 pm

My family would love Peak Rail – both my husband and son are fascinated with trains and would love a day out to a steam railway.

18. Joanna
    15/01/2018 / 9:00 pm

I have actually heard about the steam railway from Matlock. Unfortunately I never got the chance to go there as I live in Dorset, pretty much the other side of the country. 🙂 The Ritz Cinema sounds like a proper gem of a place, I’d love to watch a movie there sitting on the couch, with a big mug of hot chocolate in my hands.

19. 15/01/2018 / 9:37 pm

Derbyshire is such a beautiful county, with so much to do and see. I have to admit I really need to explore more of it, we only live just over the border and yet bar popping to Derby from time to time to go shopping that is all we seem to do.
    Sarah Bailey recently posted…5 Ways to Keep Your Eyes HealthyMy Profile

20. 16/01/2018 / 1:14 pm

Oh wow, not somewhere I had ever considered going until now. It does seem like a great place to go and visit, I would love to go to Lumsdale Valley in Matlock and see the waterfalls.

21. 16/01/2018 / 4:22 pm

Such a beautiful part of the country I have visited on a few occasions and have visited Peak Rail

22. 16/01/2018 / 9:07 pm

There’s some great hidden gems in your part of the world, we must try and visit soon, especially the railway!

23. 17/01/2018 / 11:07 am

I love exploring new areas and you guys have so much to do 🙂 that picture of the waterfall is just gorgeous and my kids would love the railway
    Lynne Harper recently posted…Take Care Of YourselfMy Profile

24. 17/01/2018 / 3:25 pm

oh i do need to visit and check these out they look lovely , wow look at that waterfall

25. Dannii
    17/01/2018 / 4:12 pm

I went to uni in derby and it’s where my husband is from so we have spent a lot of time exploring the area. It really does have so much beauty.

26. 17/01/2018 / 8:30 pm

What a lovely bunch of hidden gems!! I am only in Northamptonshire which is not too far away and we are looking at New places to visit with our pup so I have added these to my list. I really want to take some pictures of that waterfall too
    Tanya Brannan recently posted…Perfect Peacock PrettiesMy Profile

27. 17/01/2018 / 9:32 pm

Love this post, I like the idea of visiting the exquisite waterfall. My son would also love a trip on the steam train. I have always been a fan of steam train journeys. Will have to visit and use your post for reference if I visit Derbyshire.
    Afshan Nasim recently posted…2017 Favourites – Beauty, Skincare and FashionMy Profile

28. 17/01/2018 / 9:57 pm

I’ve visited Derbyshire before and have been to Eyam museum! I remember finding it fascinating and I love all the plague history in that area 🙂