6 Things To Do To Keep Warm This Winter

If you’re looking for some cosy ideas this year, then you’ve come to the right place. Keeping warm in winter has never been easier.

It’s getting cold. Really cold. The time where you need to get up half an hour earlier in the morning to make sure you’ve time to scrape the ice off your car before work. Not to mention the condensation on the windows and setting your heating on a timer to prevent you from turning into a block of ice when you get out of bed. It’s not fun. However, keeping warm in winter isn’t such a difficult task. With the right measures in place, you might actually see the beauty of winter this year!

Let’s think; what do we dislike about winter? Well, for one, it can get pretty cold. Combine that with the dull weather and the snow preventing us from getting to and from work safely, and our moods can quickly plummet. How can keeping warm in winter make us much happier and cosier inside and out?

Wood burning stove

01. Heat your home efficiently

If you’ve resorted to not switching on your heating because it costs too much, it’s about time you switched your energy source. Have you ever considered a wood burning stove? How about home heating oil? Instead of using your usual expensive source of heat, opt for something that will save you money and be much more efficient. Take Rix for example; they provide fuel and heating oil to homes across the UK, professionally install fuel tanks, and ensure your energy is reusable to save you money. There are always ways to save and be efficient in the heating of your home.

02. Stay active

Going out into the cold is probably the last thing you want to do but forcing yourself to stay active and venture out is one of the greatest ways to keep warm. Go for a jog, a long walk or even have a longer session at the gym than you usually would. You’ll build up a sweat and it will, in turn, keep you toasty for longer.

Woman wrapped in a chunky grey blanket

03. Jumpers, blankets … and more jumpers

It’s no good wearing a big coat to try and keep warm – it’s all about the layers. Layer up with cosy jumpers and thermals to keep in the heat. As well as this, think about what you can do inside the home to make those evenings seem a little more bearable. Think blankets and fluffy rugs – anything for a bit of comfort!

04. Home cooked meals

With hundreds of homely recipes out there, there’s no excuse to not whip up something tasty and filling. Not only will a full belly keep you warm, but the heat from the kitchen is a perfect temporary heat source! Open those internal doors and let the heat travel throughout your home. You might even be able to turn your thermostat down a few degrees as a result.

Cooking at home

05. Keep out the cold

It goes without saying that you should keep your doors and windows closed to conserve the heat in your home, but ever felt that annoying cold draught lurking around your ankles, even when you’ve taken all necessary precautions? Here’s where you need weather stripping. This can block out those draughts and secure the seals on doors and windows.

06. Close your curtains

When the sun is out, make the most of it! It might not feel as warm as those glorious summer months, but the little heat that is radiated from the sun can heat up your rooms, even just a little bit. However, when it begins to drop cooler, remember to close your curtains to keep in that heat. Every little helps!

6 Things To Do To Keep Warm This Winter

Keeping warm in winter is easier than you think.

Follow these easy tips for staying warm and cosy in your home this year – it’ll make all the difference! Do you put any different measures in place for keeping warm in winter, or do any of these tips work particularly well for you? Let us know in the comments!

This post was in collaboration with Rix, suppliers of fuel and heating oil to homes and businesses across the UK. For more information about their services or to request a quote, visit their website: https://www.rix.co.uk.

1. 14/11/2018 / 7:32 pm

I’m always cold haha! I always layer up in the day & snuggle under a blanket at night!

2. 14/11/2018 / 8:47 pm

These are some great ideas. Hands up I’ve really started to feel the cold the past couple of years and I am always huddled under blankets to try and stay warm. I have an electric bottle as well which is really good.

3. Rachel Evans
    14/11/2018 / 9:33 pm

Love your tips. We have a lovely cosy blanket on the sofa so we can wrap it round us in the evenings x

4. 15/11/2018 / 11:27 am

I have a knitted blanket like this and it keeps me so warm and I love using it in the winter time x

5. 15/11/2018 / 4:11 pm

I really want a log burner but sadly it is not possible in our house. Love those chunky blankets

6. 16/11/2018 / 2:30 am

what a great list! keeping active surely helps! i walk to work everyday for 15 mins and by the time i reach the office im all warmed up

7. 16/11/2018 / 10:13 am

I always love home cooked meals and lots of warm throws and blankets are always the best way to go.

8. 16/11/2018 / 12:11 pm

Great tips here Lou, they are not only protecting your purse but surely the environment too by not using so much energy.

9. 16/11/2018 / 3:01 pm

I love those knitted blanket, oh gosh, it’s nice! It’s perfect for winter, and I do think it looks fashionable.

10. 16/11/2018 / 3:30 pm

We just got our cold weather this morning down here in Florida lol so this came at the perfect time! I love cuddling up with a big blanket and a cup of hot coffee! I do wish I had a fire place but we have an outdoors firepit.
    Jessi Joachim recently posted…JORD Wood Watches: Gifts for Him and HerMy Profile

11. 16/11/2018 / 6:16 pm

Ooo yes fab tips considering the cold snap has kicked in. for me it is all about plenty of layers xx

12. 16/11/2018 / 6:36 pm

Great tips. I keep several blankets in the family room so when my family is watching TV they use a blanket. It saves on the heating.

13. Kristina
    16/11/2018 / 8:05 pm

I love layering up and wearing thick jumpers this season! 🙂

14. 17/11/2018 / 12:52 am

I love these tips. It just reminded me I need to buy more jumpers.

15. 17/11/2018 / 2:33 am

I am one of those people who is cold all the time! I do a lot of things to stay bundled up. Our winters here in Upstate New York are so long! Thanks for the tips.

16. 17/11/2018 / 3:16 pm

I always forget to close my curtains after sunset when the temperatures really drop. Thanks for the reminder!

17. 17/11/2018 / 5:19 pm

These are great tips! I live in a very cold state and yes, using the oven and closing the curtains definitely helps warm up the house!
    Echo recently posted…Nutter Butter Turkey CupcakesMy Profile

18. 17/11/2018 / 6:59 pm

Great tips! I always pull the curtains closed when I have the heating on in the evenings. I also recently installed a thick heavy curtain behind the door in our living room as the draft from the porch is awful! The winter always makes me want to pull out my slow cooker for big warm and hearty meals too!
    Tantrums To Smiles recently posted…Christmas Gift Idea’s For Kids 6 and Over.My Profile

19. 18/11/2018 / 2:40 am

I so needed to read this right now. It is 15 F here today..brrr

20. Surekha Busa
    18/11/2018 / 3:45 pm

Such a wonderful post and very timely one on the coming season. This is such a great help for us prepared in the cold winter. Thank you for sharing this to us.

21. 18/11/2018 / 6:18 pm

These are some awesome tips for this winter. It’s getting pretty chilly here on the east coast. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

22. 19/11/2018 / 1:58 am

Oh yeah, sufficient heating is necessary. It’s not a luxury but a need to survive the bitter, biting winters. Stay safe.