Why I’ve Decided To Get Braces

If there was one thing you could change about yourself, what would it be? For me, it has always been the way my teeth look. On my top row I have a tooth that’s grown behind my other teeth, leaving a noticeable gap at the front. And on my bottom row, I have serious overcrowding issues, although this isn’t as anywhere near as obvious.

For many years, I’d been begging my dentist for braces to move my teeth into their proper positions. But each time I asked about them, he’d tell me he’d rather not mess about with them because they’re healthy enough as they are. And each time he uttered those words, I would leave the surgery feeling deflated. It looked like I was destined to have teeth I was unhappy with for the rest of my life.

With love from Lou

One afternoon, I was having coffee with a friend and she was telling me how happy she was with some dental work she’d had done. And, before I knew it, I was in floods of tears, telling her how I felt I couldn’t smile in front of people I didn’t know because of how self-conscious I was about the way I look. I told her about all the blogging jobs I’d turned down because PR’s had asked me to speak at events or be a part of an ad campaign and I didn’t want thousands of people judging me for my wonky teeth. And I told her all about my dentist, and how he refused to help me.

When I’d finished blubbing, she gave me a hug and suggested that I switch to another practice and try someone else. She said my dentist sounded like a bit of a prat, and couldn’t believe I’d stuck with him for all these years. She jotted down the number of the guy she’d been praising, and I promised her I’d give him a call the very next day.

Why I've Decided To Get Braces

Dialling the practice the next morning, I was super nervous. But the receptionist I spoke to reassured me that all their dentists were lovely and would listen to any concerns I had. She booked me in for a consultation a couple of weeks after our initial phone conversation, and I went along feeling a mixture of both hope and apprehension. I mean, what if they agreed that I shouldn’t get braces?

Luckily, I needn’t have worried. The consultation went well, and the dentist listened to my concerns. He agreed that if the way my teeth looked was causing me confidence issues then I should definitely have some work done to fix that. He agreed with my old dentist that my teeth and gums were healthy. And he also agreed that moving them could cause some other problems, but he also said that the risk of that happening was really small.

Why I've Decided To Get Braces

We then sat down together and came up with a treatment plan. He agreed that a brace would straighten my teeth out, and I was given the choice of what sort I would like to go for. The Invisalign ones sounded great, as you can’t tell when people are wearing them. But I decided to go for good old-fashioned train tracks in the end. From what I’ve heard, they move teeth a lot better than invisible braces, but they do take a bit longer to do the job. I don’t mind that though. I’m just happy that I’m finally going to be able to have a smile I can be proud of!

Since my initial consultation, I’ve been back to have photographs of my teeth taken as well as providing impressions of them. I’m back again in two weeks for the next stage of my journey to a nicer smile. And I couldn’t be happier. I’m so glad my friend suggested switching to a new dentist. I don’t think I would ever have done it without the gentle push she gave me.

Even though I’m still reluctant to show my teeth when I smile, I’ll be sure to keep you guys updated with how things are going. Having braces at any age can be scary, but I want to show people that you’re never too old to change something about yourself if you’re not one hundred per cent happy. If you’ve got any questions about the cost of having braces as an adult or tips for looking after your teeth while wearing them etc please let me know and I’ll be sure to cover them in a future post.

And if you have a dentist like my old one, don’t forget that you can switch too. There are thousands of practices up and down the country that are taking on new patients, as well as special clinics such as the Harley Street Smile Clinic that specialises in cosmetic dentistry in the London area. They’ve fixed loads of celebrity smiles, including Kerry Katona, Lorraine Kelly and Greg Rutherford, to name a few.

Whether you’re looking at getting veneers, having your teeth whitened or you need a full smile makeover they’re happy to help and have over 27 years of experience. You’d be sure to be in good hands.

Why I've Decided To Get Braces

Do you guys have any tips for me for when I get my braces?
Be sure to let me know in the comments below.

Thanks for reading guys.

1. 07/09/2018 / 8:22 pm

Good luck, and well done for taking the plunge! I’m sorry your previous dentist didn’t listen to your concerns. It sounds like you have a good one now.

2. 07/09/2018 / 10:28 pm

Good luck with getting braces, I think having treatment on your teeth can really make all the difference to how you feel. I had braces in my teens for years, but sadly a lot have moved again and they look really awful!
    Sarah Bailey recently posted…Bedroom Ideas to Make it a Cosy HideawayMy Profile

• Louise
      Author
      08/09/2018 / 11:30 am

I’m really hoping it’s going to make a difference as I hate meeting new people at the moment for fear of what they’ll think of me 🙂
      Louise recently posted…Dreaming Of A New KitchenMy Profile

3. 08/09/2018 / 6:55 am

That’s so bad of your old dentist because yes even if there’s a slight risk if it’s having a negative affect on your life and confidence something needs to be done about it x

4. 09/09/2018 / 9:55 am

Your old denstist should have listened to you. That’s poor practice. Glad you are getting it sorted. I really want my teeth whitened x

5. 09/09/2018 / 10:57 am

My son has had braces for the last two years and cannot wait to take them off later this month. I am hoping the results are worth it

6. Candy
    09/09/2018 / 12:59 pm

One of our sons have braces and he is in his 30’s. Never to old for braces or to have the smile you want

7. Ronnie
    09/09/2018 / 1:38 pm

Well I quite liked your smile because it was genuine and sweet. 🙂 I’d love to see the before and after when you complete the treatment and feel more comfortable taking the photos. Good luck!!

8. 09/09/2018 / 6:03 pm

Both of my kids had braces and both came out so well I would not hesitate. I don’t think your smile is bad now but if it bothers you good luck with the change.

9. 09/09/2018 / 8:46 pm

I had braces as a kit, and now my teeth have shifted. I need them again soon..thinking invisalign.

10. 10/09/2018 / 1:29 am

My daughter had braces and she has the best teeth in the house. I hope this will make you more confident and smile more.

11. Bonnie G
    10/09/2018 / 2:48 am

My daughter just got her braces off last week after having them on for 2.5 years. Shes very happy with the results.

12. 10/09/2018 / 3:08 am

That’s great! I can’t wait to see before and after pictures. You know as a kid I always wanted braces. I thought of braces as jewelry for teeth. I was like mom, “I want jewelry on my teeth like my friend has”. LOL

13. 10/09/2018 / 3:40 am

I got braces as an adult TWICE. 1st time was pre-Mom and 2nd time was shortly after my pregnancies. My orthodontist was amazing and I love my smile. Good luck on your new smile journey.

14. Cathy Mini
    10/09/2018 / 5:42 am

That’s the best decision, nice that you’ve chose to have braces. Goodluck and be careful.

15. 10/09/2018 / 10:54 am

A few of my friends have done this recently and come out the other side really pleased that they did. I have a fear of people putting things in my mouth so I like to minimise my dentist time so I have learned to live with my crossed teeth

16. 10/09/2018 / 4:53 pm

I’m really self-conscious of my teeth too and would love braces. Its awful when you don’t like talking to people or smiling isn’t it. Looking forward to reading your journey with them and seeing your perfect smile at the end.
    Helen recently posted…Keeping track of time with a Nordgreen watch *My Profile

17. 11/09/2018 / 4:39 am

I’ve been thinking about getting them again myself. My teeth have shifted a bit since I got my braces off and I would love to get things back to where they were!

18. 11/09/2018 / 9:57 am

I hope it goes well, I would love to sort my teeth out but can’t afford at moment x

19. 12/09/2018 / 11:00 pm

I had braces when I was young. Good Luck to you. I hope everything goes smoothly. Looking forward to your “after” photo.