How To Recover Your Hair After Chemotherapy

Chemotherapy is an intense and difficult treatment, and when someone has just finished it, the next priority is to grow hair. Since chemotherapy targets not just the cancer cells in your body, but also the healthy ones, it can also affect the hair roots which makes hair loss quite common. Oftentimes, it would probably take four to six months before an inch of hair growth appears on your head. When it does, it may appear thinner than it was before so you may experience having bald spots on top of your head. There several ways to grow your hair.

Here are some tips on how to recover your hair after chemotherapy.

How To Recover Your Hair After Chemotherapy

01. Make sure to use gentle products on your head

It is extremely important that you use the gentlest products on your head if you are planning to grow your back healthily. Make sure to choose a shampoo that improves good circulation on the scalp and at the same time effectively cleans it. Do not go for hair care products that contain harsh chemicals. Otherwise, this toxicity can affect your skin may no longer allow you to recover your hair back.

02. Apply vitamins to nourish your scalp

Certain vitamins can definitely help hair regrowth. In order to boost this process, try to add extra vitamins and minerals in your diet such as Vitamin E, B Vitamins, and Vitamin C. You can also buy hair vitamins that you can easily apply on your scalp to supplement it with its much-needed nourishment.

03. Eat foods rich in Inositol

Inositol is found in some food such as beans, brown rice, cantaloupe, nuts, and more, and helps regenerate the hair cells. Cellular regrowth is important and with a supplement of Inositol, your body will be able to generate new hair cells. You can find this in cereals and is often called phytic acid.

04. Wash your hair with cold water

We definitely want to expedite the process of hair regrowth but oftentimes, it would take a while. As a temporary solution, one can use human hair extensions, but if you want to speed up the process of growing your hair, you must avoid washing or rinsing your hair using hot water as it can cause damage to your hair follicles. Make sure to use cool water instead when you are washing. This way, you can expedite the process of growing back your hair.

05. Eat high protein foods

What you eat can definitely contribute to the growth of your hair. Make sure to add high-protein foods in your diet. You can find this on beans, meats, eggs, lentils, and even more. These types of food can make a difference in regrowing back your hair. Make sure to have a well-balanced diet so you can promote the growth of your hair after you have undergone chemotherapy. Amino Acids and Vitamin B are essential vitamins that you need to have in order to speed up the growth of your hair. Research on foods that will give you a high-protein diet and other vitamins.How To Recover Your Hair After Chemotherapy

Do you have any other other tips for recovering your hair after chemotherapy?
If so, let me know in the comments below.

1. 23/07/2018 / 8:49 am

That a fantastic post. So much good advise for people who are going though this to make them feel much better!

2. 23/07/2018 / 7:19 pm

What a great post and such useful advice as that must be one of the worst parts of having chemotherapy and it is good to know that there are options available.

3. 23/07/2018 / 7:21 pm

Such a great post and really useful for people who are going through the process. It must be the worst part of chemotherapy, so it is good to know that there are options.

4. 23/07/2018 / 11:39 pm

These are great tips for someone trying to grow their hair after dealing with chemotherapy. I had no idea you should not wash you hair in hot water.

5. 24/07/2018 / 1:06 am

I was lucky after my therapy my hair grew back quickly. I always feel bad for women in general who suffers people’s strange looks after chemo. It’s a sign of strength in my opinion.
    Rebecca Bryant recently posted…Magic Village Resort is Pure MagicMy Profile

6. 24/07/2018 / 1:40 am

I wasn’t familiar with how hair comes back after chemo. These are great tips for someone who is recovering and wants to make the best of getting back into a more normal routine.

7. 24/07/2018 / 3:12 am

I have a soft spot in my heart for people who undergo chemotherapy. 🙁 These are some great tips to help them recover their hair after therapy. I read somewhere a while ago that massaging the scalp helps with hair growth. Maybe that could help after chemotherapy also.
    Yolonda @ yolomommy.com recently posted…Tips on How to Organize Your LifeMy Profile

8. 24/07/2018 / 6:26 am

This will help a lot of women. Hair loss must be another very challenging part of chemotherapy, and it’s great that you’re sharing ways to make it better.

9. 24/07/2018 / 9:32 am

What lovely advice. My mum suffered breast cancer in 2011 and lost her hair to chemotherapy. Luckily it’s grown back but it’s a long process.

10. 24/07/2018 / 10:45 am

I didn’t realise that hot water could damage hair growth.

11. 24/07/2018 / 11:44 am

I can’t even begin to imagine what it must be like to go through Chemo and lose your hair 🙁 but this is a great list of tips to help those who have regrow their hair, so thanks for sharing x

12. 24/07/2018 / 12:22 pm

This is a fab list to help those in this situation. It’s hard to imagine how awful this must be to deal with x

13. 24/07/2018 / 11:24 pm

These are helpful tips for what must be a stressful and upsetting time.

14. 25/07/2018 / 1:22 am

I feel incredibly grateful that this is something I don’t have personal experience of although my best friend who passed away from Cancer last year did and I know growing her hair back was a really positive step forward in her fight and these are some great tips

Laura x
    Laura recently posted…An Unexpected guide to BathMy Profile

15. 25/07/2018 / 6:38 am

My fiancee is going through chemo at the moment and all of his hair went last week. He’s so worried about what will happen when it grows back, if it will grow back and if he can do anything to promote the growth. I will be showing him this. Thank you so much for all the tips. x

16. 25/07/2018 / 9:06 pm

I cannot imagine going through this, but these are some great tips for people who need them.

17. 26/07/2018 / 9:11 pm

Such a brave post to share, I can’t begin to imagine how hard it is to have to go through chemo.

18. 19/11/2018 / 5:58 pm

Thanks for sharing these really practical tips. I actually have alopecia, so that’s why my hair has fallen out instead of a result of chemo. Obviously it’s a whole different ballgame but the measures to regrow hair seem similar. I’ve stopped using any products with sulfates in them and use all-natural shampoos instead. Also, this sounds weird but rubbing red onion and ginger root on my patches seems to work wonders! Would highly recommend aloe vera too, either applied topically or taken as a little shot in the mornings (great for the immune system too!) 🙂