The Ultimate Chocolate Yule Log

With Christmas just around the corner I’ve been spending more and more time in the kitchen perfecting some of my favourite festive recipes. This last week I’ve been working on my Ultimate Chocolate Yule Log, and I’m so happy with how it’s been turning out that I thought I’d share my recipe with you guys in today’s blog post!

The Ultimate Chocolate Yule LogThis particular Chocolate Yule Log is quick and easy to make thanks to Betty Crocker’s ready-to-use chocolate fudge icing, which I use alongside some whipped-up double cream for the filling. It takes about 35 minutes to make from start to finish, and doesn’t create a lot of washing up either. Perfect!

The finished Chocolate Yule Log cuts up into 6 slices, and I’d advise that it’s eaten within a day due to it having the double cream in. We’ve occasionally had a slice left over though, and as long as we’ve left it wrapped up in the fridge overnight it’s been perfectly fine to eat the next day.

So, without further ado, let me share the recipe with you. Enjoy guys!

THE ULTIMATE CHOCOLATE YULE LOG

75g/3oz plain flour
25g/1oz cocoa powder
Icing sugar, to dust
300ml/½pint double cream
3-4tbsp Betty Crocker chocolate fudge icing

Method

01. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan oven 160°C/Gas Mark 4. Lightly grease a 31cm x 23cm/12in x 9in swiss roll tin and line with non-stick baking paper.

02. Using an electric hand-held beater, whisk together the eggs, vanilla and caster sugar for about 7-10mins, until you have a pale golden mixture that forms a firm trail when the beaters are lifted up.

03. Sift in the flour and cocoa powder and gently fold in with a large metal spoon.

04. Place in the prepared tin, spreading to the edges with a palette knife. Bake for 10-12mins until the top feels springy when lightly pressed with a clean fingertip.

05. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 5mins. Turn out onto a wire rack and carefully peel off the paper and trim off the edges of the sponge.

06. Dust a large sheet of non-stick baking paper with icing sugar and gently slide the sponge on to it. Roll it up carefully in the paper and leave seamside down until completely cold.

07. Meanwhile, whip the cream until softly peaking. Carefully unroll the cold sponge and spread with the chocolate fudge icing to the edges. Next, spread on the cream, re-roll the sponge, and slide on to an oblong plate. Dust with a sprinkling of icing sugar and eat within a day.

If you fancy an extra-chocolatey hit, dissolve 1tbsp cocoa powder in ½tbsp hot water, leave to cool and then add to the double cream before you whip it in step 7. You could also use any leftover Betty Crocker fudge icing to cover the top of the sponge before dusting with icing sugar. Delicious!

The Ultimate Chocolate Yule Log

• 75g/3oz plain flour
  • 25g/1oz cocoa powder
  • Icing sugar, to dust
  • 300ml/½pint double cream
  • 3-4tbsp Betty Crocker chocolate fudge icing

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan oven 160°C/Gas Mark 4. Lightly grease a 31cm x 23cm/12in x 9in swiss roll tin and line with non-stick baking paper.
  2. Using an electric hand-held beater, whisk together the eggs, vanilla and caster sugar for about 7-10mins, until you have a pale golden mixture that forms a firm trail when the beaters are lifted up.
  3. Sift in the flour and cocoa powder and gently fold in with a large metal spoon.
  4. Place in the prepared tin, spreading to the edges with a palette knife. Bake for 10-12mins until the top feels springy when lightly pressed with a clean fingertip.
  5. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 5mins. Turn out onto a wire rack and carefully peel off the paper and trim off the edges of the sponge.
  6. Dust a large sheet of non-stick baking paper with icing sugar and gently slide the sponge on to it. Roll it up carefully in the paper and leave seamside down until completely cold.
  7. Meanwhile, whip the cream until softly peaking. Carefully unroll the cold sponge and spread with the chocolate fudge icing to the edges. Next, spread on the cream, re-roll the sponge, and slide on to an oblong plate. Dust with a sprinkling of icing sugar and eat within a day.

Notes

For an extra-chocolatey hit, dissolve 1tbsp cocoa powder in ½tbsp hot water, leave to cool and then add to the double cream before you whip it in step 7. You could also use any leftover Betty Crocker fudge icing to cover the top of the sponge before dusting with icing sugar. Delicious!

The Ultimate Chocolate Yule Log

Have you ever made a Chocolate Yule Log before?
Why not let me know in the comments below!

Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2016-2018 Louise Smith

1. aisle
    29/11/2016 / 9:37 am

I will try!!

2. 29/11/2016 / 3:09 pm

That looks so pretty! I keep intending to make something like this (I like the fall pumpkin rolls, too) but I never make them. Your instructions make it seem so simple, I’m not sure why I haven’t tried it yet 🙂

3. 29/11/2016 / 3:46 pm

Your Yule log looks fantastic and y ummy and special! Yule is a holiday my kids and I like, the longest night of the year, the yearning for hope and light! Thank you for this beautiful recipe, the kids are going to love helping to make it.

4. 29/11/2016 / 4:04 pm

I cannot wait to make this for the kids at Christmas! It looks so delicious and easy to make. Thanks for sharing.

5. 29/11/2016 / 5:23 pm

Oh my gosh, I want to dislike you for sharing this because I do NOT need any more sweets right now, but this looks and sounds so dangerously delicious. I’ve never made a yule log before, but you’re speaking my language with the chocolate!

6. 30/11/2016 / 4:56 am

Now I am craving the chocolate yule log. This is such a fun twist on a familiar favorite. I am bookmarking this for Christmas week. MMM good!

7. 30/11/2016 / 7:33 am

Honestly? This is so beautiful I can’t believe that you made it. Not that you aren’t talented enough, but I mean this should be in a magazine! haha. It looks almost too pretty to eat. I may give it a try but I doubt mine will be as pretty. haha

8. 30/11/2016 / 5:36 pm

Well this looks amazing and I love your photography. Going to pin this for sure for later.

9. Rebecca Bryant
    06/12/2016 / 6:40 pm

Yum!1 you had me at Chocolate. I do enjoy a good Christmas dessert and anything chocolate and I’m in.

10. 08/12/2018 / 6:13 pm

This looks so super tasty! I love a Yule log, I’ll definately need to give this one a go.

11. 08/12/2018 / 11:19 pm

I love a good yule log and the roll on this has come out so neat! x

12. 09/12/2018 / 7:30 am

I have never made a Yule log before, just very good at eating them whenever I am traveling. Thanks for the recipe

13. 09/12/2018 / 11:18 am

This looks delicious! I wish I was a better baker

14. 09/12/2018 / 3:55 pm

I do love a yule log, I think I could probably eat one on my own! We made one for my Danish friend one year and she had never seen one before, she asked whether “it was supposed to look like a bit of tree” 😀 😀

15. 10/12/2018 / 12:06 pm

Christmas is not complete without the Chocolate Yule Log. this one looks super scrummy and has got me feeling all festive for sure xx

16. 10/12/2018 / 6:23 pm

Oh my, my tummy is rumbling just looking at the pictures

17. 10/12/2018 / 8:07 pm

This sounds delicious! Yule log is my favourite Christmas dessert, and it’s about time I tried to make it myself. Thank you for providing such an easy to follow recipe!
    Hannah recently posted…#EcoChristmas Gift Round-up #1My Profile

18. 10/12/2018 / 8:15 pm

Thank you for this recipe – I love a yule log – really simple to make and look excellent – I’ve tried some Betty crocker icing mixes but not this one. They do make cake decorating alot simpler.

19. 11/12/2018 / 6:24 am

Wow it looks fantastic. I’d have never even thought to make my own. My have a go next week seeing as we’re cooking Xmas dinner this year

20. 11/12/2018 / 11:39 am

Whoo yes, please. I could just eat a slice with my cup of tea. This looks delicious 🙂

21. 11/12/2018 / 11:43 am

Oh wow this looks AMAZING! chocolate Yule log is one of my all time favourite christmas foods! This looks so creamy and delicious!

22. 11/12/2018 / 2:45 pm

This looks AMAZING! I need to find a gluten-free yule log recipe now as this has really made me crave one!

23. 12/12/2018 / 2:16 pm

That looks lovely. I’ve never made one before as the rolling part puts me off but maybe I should just go for it x

24. 16/12/2018 / 11:26 am

That swirl is amazing! You have nailed the rolling part of the process. Looks a wonderful bake too!