Designer Style on a High Street Budget

How nice it would be if we all had enough money to be able to buy the latest fashions. Unfortunately, there are more of us that cannot afford those designer labels than can, but there are ways you can keep up to date without spending a fortune …

Designer Style on a High Street Budget

Check Out The Charity Shops

Check out the charity shops in the right places and you may be surprised at the quality and how modern some of the things they have for sale are. This may not be the case if your local charity shop is in the countryside, but head for some of the big cities like London or Manchester and you are more likely to find the things you are after.

Even with the cost of travelling, if you use say Next or Debenhams discount codes to keep the cost of the hotels down, you can still save a lot of money and be fashionable. These large cities have many charity shops in their centres, and a weekend stay can give you the time to scour them all.

Car boot sales are another place to pick items up cheaply, especially if you leave it till towards the end when people are desperate to sell.

Watch Out For Flash Sales

Wherever you are, keep your eyes open for flash sales. Look online as well. These happen quickly with very little notice and often are only for a few hours, but they can save you a fortune. Even the big brands hold flash sales from time to time.

Designer Style on a High Street Budget

Look Closely At Your Wardrobe

Fashions have a habit of being repeated, so take a close look at the clothes shoved to the back of your wardrobe. In fact, you should perhaps look at your moms and your grandmother’s wardrobes as well. You may just be surprised how a small alteration to something that is years old can make it appear as good as the latest fashions.

Visit Factory Shops

When a factory receives a large order, they always make more than they need in case they hit a snag along the way. Any surplus is known as ‘cabbage’ and it is accepted in the clothing industry that this will be sold off in the factory shops at a reduced price. You could find the latest fashions on sale in these outlets, and only pay half of what you would on the high street.

Some areas have whole shopping centres that are only factory shops, and these are definitely worth a visit.

Designer Style on a High Street Budget

Check Online Auctions

Online auctions often have the latest fashions, and depending on what people are prepared to offer, you may pick up some real bargains in this way. The secret with them is to set yourself a price and do not be tempted to go above it, otherwise you could pay more than you would in a store.

It does not have to be costly to follow the latest trends if you are prepared to spend some time looking around the various places and to be a bit creative with what you find. It’s much more fun too!

Designer Style on a High Street Budget

Do you have any other tips for getting your hands on designer goods on a high street budget?
If so, let me know in the comments below.
With love from Lou SignatureTwitter | Facebook | Bloglovin | Instagram | YouTube

1. 12/07/2018 / 9:42 pm

I literally don’t shop anywhere else but charity shops and Ebay – but this is mostly to avoid buying new fast fashion items as they are terrible for the environment. I snapped up gorgeous designer items already, everything from Bally bag to Etro dress!

2. 13/07/2018 / 11:01 am

It is always really satisfying to bag yourself a designer bargain at a fraction of the cost, and a real feel good feeling. Sometimes buying something that is perhaps classed as out of season, means you can have the item you longed for but didn’t want to pay full price for.

3. 13/07/2018 / 12:58 pm

So many great tips. My best tip is already included, which is to look out for sales and preferably to buy key items that don’t go out of fashion at the end of the season, as they tend to be cheaper then.

4. 13/07/2018 / 9:52 pm

These are super tips for sure, and you are right about charity shops. Sometimes we have found almost new items in there for such a bargain. So whenever I can, I do make an effort to pop by and check out the things in case I find something for the kids

5. Bryanna Skye
    14/07/2018 / 5:16 pm

I do most of my clothing shopping almost exclusively in charity shops as it’s so much cheaper and you can find fab stuff. plus it’s better for the environment 🙂

6. 14/07/2018 / 8:47 pm

Some great ideas many of which I do when looking for new clothes. Something I’ve seen a few of later is vintage clothes sales where you pay such much per a certain weight, I’m going to go to my next local one x

7. 15/07/2018 / 9:51 am

My sister lives a good charity shop. Personally I’m not big into designer labels but the few I do like I tend to get in sales or as nearly-new ebay buys.

8. 15/07/2018 / 11:53 am

Ooh I hadn’t heard of ‘cabbage’ before – definitely will be looking out for factory shops. That’s amazing.

9. 15/07/2018 / 3:20 pm

I love the tips here. I enjoy looking for bargains when shopping. Discount codes are always so useful.

10. 15/07/2018 / 5:32 pm

What a great post! There are some fab summer styles at the moment!

11. 15/07/2018 / 7:37 pm

I usually only go to charity shops to buy books (British Heart Foundation are great for collectable books), but I might had to start looking at clothes too.

12. 16/07/2018 / 5:33 pm

I love charity shops and car boot sales the most. Shopping there is much more ethical/ eco-friendly and budget friendly. I didnt have a clue about the factory shops! Thanks for sharing that, I am excited to give them a go x

13. 16/07/2018 / 7:06 pm

I used to shop on Ebay for used things but got out the habit, although its so much better for the environment to buy second hand isn’t it! I didn’t know about the factory shops either! x