Bedroom Décor Your Kids Will Actually Appreciate

Your kids aren’t going to have an opinion one way or the other about décor changes you make in the home. The one area that’s not true is when it comes to their room. Get it wrong and fail to see what works from their perspective and you can risk a tantrum. Get it right with some of the tips below, however, and you can create a space they will fall in love with.

Pirate Themed Bedroom

Find a theme

We have décor styles and colour schemes to work from as adults. For kids, the best way to create a visual style that resonates with them is to choose a theme. Whether it’s pirates, fairies, fantasy kingdoms, or something entirely different, choose one that matches their interests. You can find beds, bed sheets, wall art, curtains, and much more to help establish that theme and help them really fall in love with their room.

Bedroom Decor Your Kids Will Actually Appreciate

Have fun with lighting

Lighting can add a lot of personality to a room and the same goes for in your kid’s room. Check out glow.co.uk for inspiration on how novelty light fixtures can add a ton of personality. They are much more likely to get a positive reception than simple, generic lamps. There are lights that can fit the theme you’re trying to create or lights that have their own unique appeal whether they replicate your child’s interests, emojis, or something entirely different.

Bedroom Decor Your Kids Will Actually Appreciate

Give them their own landscape

Kids are imaginative. They like to be transported to new worlds, which is why themes can work so well. But wall murals and landscapes can be just as transformative and invigorating. Take a look at wallpaperInk.co.uk for more information on the different kinds of scenes you can help create in your child’s room. That feeling of stepping into a whole new world is really going to add some emotional appeal to the space.

Bedroom Decor Your Kids Will Actually Appreciate

Create their own zones

Emotional appeal isn’t the only thing that matters. A little practicality makes a big difference, even to your kid. For instance, most kids have homework to deal with and by creating a mini-office with a desk, you can help create a space that allows them to work productively and without distraction. On the other end of the room, you can establish a playing corner where their toy chest and drawers store everything they need when they want to have some fun instead.

Bedroom Decor Your Kids Will Actually Appreciate

A place to relax

Let’s not forget the rejuvenating effect that being able to relax in the bedroom can have. A space where your kid can hang out, read, or just spend time alone can be hugely important to them. Look at projectnursery.com for ideas on how to create bean bag chairs, or add a hanging chair from the ceiling to give them a place to sit and be cosy that still looks cool as far as they’re concerned.

Kids have a sense of place and belonging tied to décor just as we adults do. Think about their room from their perspective and you can help create a place that’s fulfilling to them both practically and emotionally.

Bedroom Décor Your Kids Will Actually Appreciate

How would your kids like to have their rooms decorated?
Why not let me know in the comments below!

1. 08/05/2018 / 1:56 pm

Wow! That decor is great. The sheep lighting has to be my favourite!

2. 08/05/2018 / 2:05 pm

I’ve just saved the clouds/field scene as inspiration for my New born due in September. It’s neutral, and looks fairly simple to do 🙂 It’s so cute!

I hope my little’un will grow up with a good ear for music, that way I can hang guitars and all sorts from the walls. Ha! We shall see!

I love this post!

3. 08/05/2018 / 2:26 pm

Some really fab ideas here love the idea of creating a reading nook with a beanbag that is such a great idea.

4. 08/05/2018 / 2:44 pm

Love the décor here! I would have loved this when I was a kid!

5. 08/05/2018 / 11:58 pm

I can totally see my kids appreciating this type of bedroom decor. It’s perfect for them. I am going to share this for my online friends to check it out!

6. 09/05/2018 / 10:24 am

Sooooo beautiful! When we moved into our property, the previous owners had put cloud paper on the ceiling in the box room. Luckily for us, our daughter is obsessed with planes. We didn’t have to decorate, as we loved the decor so much. She now has a hot air balloon light shade, and we have hung Airfix planes that my husband has made for her, from the ceiling. It’s her little space, that is personal and suits her to a tee.

7. Rose Ann Sales
    09/05/2018 / 2:20 pm

Such a beautiful bedroom decoration and I am sure that kids will love it more if we allowed them to participate in decorating their bedroom.

8. 09/05/2018 / 3:45 pm

These ideas are all adorable. I would have loved to have had any of these decor ideas in my room as a kid.

9. Heather
    09/05/2018 / 4:40 pm

My younger daughters’ room could use a refresher. It was great for them when they were little, but it’s time to show that they’re getting older. They need places to relax, but also a zone for hanging with friends.

10. Becca Wilson
    10/05/2018 / 12:03 am

This decor is so amazing! My kids rooms are very simple and plain compared to these. They would definitely love something like this.

11. 10/05/2018 / 12:10 am

Those bedrooms were all gorgeous. My children are all adults now, although, I can see my grandchildren loving some decorating ideas. My oldest granddaughter is into being different, red hair, purple nail polish and in love with You Tube Stars I could make her so happy.
    Gladys Parker recently posted…Rocket Fishing Rod from Goliath for Spring and Summer FunMy Profile

12. 10/05/2018 / 3:28 am

I let my oldest son pick out the theme of his room when we moved into this house two years ago and he chose fire trucks – while his suggestion of red walls was nixed, we did go with other fire truck themed features (including a cool fire truck lamp) and he LOVES his room! We added a desk when he started school and it’s a great place for him to do his homework where his little brother can’t bother him. Great advice!

13. 10/05/2018 / 9:09 am

Ah these bedroom décor ideas are absolutely beautiful. Look at all that gorgeous light and space to play. Any child would love these. The thought that’s gone into each is amazing.

14. 10/05/2018 / 2:53 pm

I love these ideas. I’m dying for the day we buy a house here in Portugal so I can get decorating. Top of the list will be our son’s room. I have a teepee and was tempted to put in on our deck for him to relax in but I’m also tempted to keep it for his room.

15. 10/05/2018 / 5:37 pm

These are lovely! My son definitely likes being in his room more when he’s got comfortable, nice furniture in it. So I will definitely consider that desk! I think he’d really love that!

16. 10/05/2018 / 9:46 pm

My kids love lighting in their room and anything fun and funky is a big tick for them! I love designing kids rooms

17. 11/05/2018 / 1:21 pm

These are all fantastic ideas. I’m not sure what I love most, but probably the shark desk!

18. Geraline Batarra
    11/05/2018 / 5:16 pm

Those are really great kids bedroom theme or designs but don’t forget to ask their what kind of designs they want and what are the things that you need to put to make them feel comfortable on their new bedroom.

19. 11/05/2018 / 6:15 pm

Wow! It is indeed an awesome design and I love the idea ans tips. Definitely be taking this as an inspiration so that when I have my own kids I can apply this in their room.

20. Danielle
    11/05/2018 / 6:25 pm

The shark and pirate theme room is amazing. My nephew would really love that!

21. 12/05/2018 / 6:25 am

So many great ideas. I think it’s nice when you involve your kids in their room decor or ask them what their vision is for their bedroom. I like the idea of a theme for when they are little, which you can always translate into a color theme as they get older and their tastes change.
    Cindy Ingalls recently posted…Bondi Sands Self-Tanners for a Safe Tan!My Profile