Transform your Terrace Into the Perfect Al Fresco Dining Area

Summer is almost upon us and for the majority of Australian homeowners, thoughts turn to the garden, as we prepare for that long summer season of outdoor living. If you have taken an honest look at your outdoor living space and have decided it is in need of a revamp, here’s a guide to help you create the ideal Al Fresco dining area.

Transform your Terrace Into the Perfect Al Fresco Dining Area

Stylish Shading

No Al Fresco ambience is complete without some elegant shading, and with a range of centre or side post garden umbrellas, you have the ideal solution. Modern shade umbrellas are a far cry from the monstrosities of a few years ago, when you had to be a contortionist to open one, and effortless operation is thankfully now the norm. Bright and colourful fabrics that are guaranteed not to fade or tear, offer you a host of design options, or if you have a large expanse to cover, you might want to consider investing in a retractable awning, and with matching units over the windows, you have the perfect Mediterranean dining area.

Timber Decking or Natural Stone

The terrace itself can be built with either timber decking or paving stones, whichever you prefer, and by enlisting the help of a local landscaping company, your patio will be the ideal foundation for the unique look you are planning to create. Both have their pros and cons, with timber requiring regular attention, while stone tends to collect dirt and grime, especially over the winter months, and whatever you choose, it will determine the colours that will be most effective to create the right ambience. For more comfortable you may find the best patio heater for cozy and warmth surrounding yourself.

Transform your Terrace Into the Perfect Al Fresco Dining Area

Garden Furniture

When it comes to outdoor furniture in Melbourne, why not pay a visit to the huge warehouse, where a wide range of styles are presented in a real life garden environment, which is the best way to experience the furniture, and their lower than retail prices will certainly appeal. Chairs, tables, sun loungers and outdoor sofas offer the Australian homeowner a range of styles, so there will be something that looks like it belongs on your terrace. One must factor in durability with outdoor furniture, as it must endure extended periods of exposure to direct sunlight, and make sure the materials are non corrosive, such as stainless steel, wrought iron, or even rattan.

Visit the Store

Most garden centres have a limited selection, so it is best to source a supplier with an extensive catalogue and by paying them a visit, you get to see first hand how the furniture looks in a garden setting. An online search will save you both time and money, and after browsing a selection of suites, you can follow up with a store visit, which will make the selection process that much easier.

Transform your Terrace Into the Perfect Al Fresco Dining Area

Lighting

As early evening arrives, some carefully placed floor level lighting will certainly add a touch of subtle elegance to your terrace and with a few well-placed spots to highlight focal points and soft table lamps, the Al Fresco look is complete. LED solutions give you far more scope regarding outdoor lighting, and with dimmer switches, you have fine control over lighting.

Screening

Most terraces do require a windbreaker, and with stylish fabric roller blinds, this can be elegantly provided, and with clear plastic solutions, the beautiful view will not be compromised, and any time you wish to enjoy the breeze, simply raise the screens. Again, a clever choice of colours can give your terrace some depth and contrast, and with modern roller blinds, there are no unsightly ropes and pulleys, as the running mechanism is enclosed and easy to adjust.

Transform your Terrace Into the Perfect Al Fresco Dining Area

Regarding the look of your outdoor area, you are only limited by your own imagination, and if you are lacking inspiration, a Google image search is bound to give you some ideas.

Do you have any other tips for transforming your terrace into the perfect al fresco dining area?
Why not let me know in the comments below.

1. 21/05/2018 / 11:26 am

My parents have a lovely garden and eating area. I hope we get a more private garden in our next house to do the same

2. Reesa Lewandowski
    21/05/2018 / 2:42 pm

Oh I would love a terrace like the ones you pictured! We have a small patio and right now it is just full of the kids’ outdoor toys.

3. 21/05/2018 / 3:55 pm

I’m so in to outdoor eating at the moment. I love the look of those garden areas, especially with all the low lighting. Makes me excited for the summer!

4. 21/05/2018 / 6:31 pm

Yes! We love dining outside and each year I do a little upgrade to our outdoor area. This year I’m getting more plants and painting our fece!

5. 21/05/2018 / 6:56 pm

Wow, you have a beautiful terrace. I enjoy eating outside occasionally. Here in Florida, it can get hot and muggy some nights.

6. 21/05/2018 / 6:56 pm

I would so love to have a nice dining area outside, we have a few slabs with we have a bench on but some decking and a nice table would be wonderful.
    Sarah Bailey recently posted…PrezzyBox Wishlist May 2018My Profile

7. 21/05/2018 / 9:39 pm

We’re getting ready to do our patio area, but we’ve been going back and forth on what to do. Thanks for the tips!

8. 21/05/2018 / 9:55 pm

Gorgeous ideas! We are doing a garden makeover at the moment and really want furniture like this for our own al fresco dining area!

9. Kristina Maggiora
    21/05/2018 / 11:22 pm

omg I love eating outside and enjoy the garden/ little bit of nature! I live in a flat now but when i have a house I would love a terrace like the one featured here

10. 22/05/2018 / 12:46 am

I love these ideas! We have a complicated open outdoor space that has to flow with other yards in a historic neighborhood. It is complicated and I just haven’t been inspired to try till now! Thank you!

11. 22/05/2018 / 4:06 am

I am all about the indoor/outdoor living and always enjoy relaxing outside in summer. I think that having the right set-up from the start is the best way to enjoy living or dining outside. These are great tips to get it all ready to go.

12. 22/05/2018 / 6:04 am

It makes me feel so relaxed just looking at these beautiful outdoor spaces. It makes such a difference when you can spend time outside when the weather is nice, and turn a terrace or patio into an extension of your house or apartment.

13. Angela Ricardo Bethea
    22/05/2018 / 6:19 am

These are some awesome idea of the garden dining area. I do really love the garden lighting. It looks so romantic.

14. 22/05/2018 / 6:38 am

I only have a balcony so have limited outdoor space but these are great options, I know I’d want decking when I have a garden x
    Rhian Westbury recently posted…Five Things – Week 115My Profile

15. Dannii
    22/05/2018 / 9:16 am

We are in the process of doing this at the moment. I can’t wait to see it all come together.

16. 22/05/2018 / 11:41 am

For me it is all about the lighting anf some good quality garden furniture x

17. 22/05/2018 / 2:28 pm

Revamping our outdoor living space is totally next on my list! What great inspiration here!

18. 22/05/2018 / 2:30 pm

Looks so beautiful! I love the garden with the uplighting and the palm trees. But isn’t it autumn in Australia right now? I’m sure its still plenty warm enough to hang out in the garden even in the winter.
    Kelly recently posted…How to Make Golden MilkMy Profile

19. 23/05/2018 / 12:28 am

We’re still working on our garden but I think these are all beautiful ideas to make it one dining area that’s perfect for gatherings this summer! It’s really nice to be able to just dine outside and enjoy the weather!
    Alison Rost recently posted…The Prettiest Spring PastaMy Profile

20. 23/05/2018 / 10:18 am

That’s what summer is all about isn’t it? Love spending time outdoors when it’s summer!

21. 23/05/2018 / 11:26 am

Here in the UK the weather is finally looking a lot more like summer and your suggestions for an outside dining area are inspiring. I really love the floor level lighting!

22. 24/05/2018 / 5:27 pm

We had a patio built last year and had a lovely dining area, sadly the kids paddling pool seems to have taken over
    Kara recently posted…Eat like a pro with BekoMy Profile

23. 25/05/2018 / 12:46 pm

This is really an amazing transformation. I just love these awesome ideas to transform a terrace into the perfect Alfresco dining area. Thanks for sharing.

24. 25/05/2018 / 10:02 pm

We’re redoing our garden this weekend and I can’t wait to dine outside this Summer (if the weather is on side!)

25. 12/06/2018 / 10:07 am

You made it look like a stylish rooftop bar, what a “wow” effect there! LED rope lights are great for outdoors, especially in different colors, used under furniture. You could add some circles around those flower pots too.
    Kostas recently posted…Using Lighting to Maximize Your Rooms PotentialMy Profile