Making Your Garden an Extension of Your Home

It might seem like an odd time of year to be talking about the garden, and especially about how to make it an extension of your home. Winter in this country does tend, after all, to be cold, wet and rather windy, but I firmly believe that the garden can and should be enjoyed at any time of the year by those of us who are lucky enough to have one, and anyway making a few changes now will mean that the garden is all ready for spring.

The best way to make the most of your garden is undoubtedly by making it an extension of your home, and here are some tips to help you do exactly that:

Making Your Garden an Extension of Your Home

Invest in Great Garden Furniture

The most obvious way of making your garden an extension of your home is by adding garden furniture. Ideally, you’re going to want to find the most robust garden furniture possible, so that you can leave it out for most of the year. Investing in a gazebo or awning will help you to use the garden in less than optimum conditions too, although there are always going to be times when actually sitting in the garden is a big no-no.

Bi-folding Kitchen Door

Install Folding Doors

The folding door shop is home to a wide range of folding doors, which are ideal for installing in the room that leads out to the kitchen. Then, when the weather is good, you can simply fold the doors away out of sight, making the kitchen, for example, and the garden one big space where you can move seamlessly and let the air in.

Tufted Titmouse

Hang Bird Feeders and Install Cameras

If one of your favourite things about being in the garden is the fact that you get to watch the birds going about their business, then hanging bird feeders and installing wireless cameras, especially in the autumn and winter, is a great way to enjoy the garden and make it part of everyday life, without having to actually go outside if it’s just too cold, or the rain is coming down in sheets.If you have kids, they’ll love watching the comings and goings too.

Fire Pit

Install a Fire Pit

Having a fire pit in the garden means that you can enjoy the space even when it is cold. Not only is it great for those chilly spring evenings, but it’s fantastic for cool, crisp winter days too.

Garden Lighting

Lighting is a Must

You use your home day and night, so if you want your garden to be an extension of your home, you need to ensure that you can use it in the light and the dark. That means adding outdoor lighting, like the stuff you can find at the Wayfair shop. Wall mounted lighting is good, but wrapping the fences with solar powered fairy lights or lining your pathways with solar lanterns is good too.

Decking Area

Build a Deck

Decking is great for entertaining and a good place to place your furniture and barbecue. It’s also very affordable and easy to install yourself. More importantly, it really helps to bring the house and garden together.

I hope this has inspired you to use your garden more and make it more a part of daily living.

Making Your Garden an Extension of Your Home

Do you have any other tips for making your garden and extension of your home?
Let me know in the comments below!

1. 06/12/2017 / 2:45 pm

I love these ideas! I can’t wait to have a home of my own and be able to do things like this. I definitely want a deck for my hour. I also love fire pits. I’m borrowing one next weekend for my birthday party.
    Tiffany Khyla recently posted…My Birthday + Christmas WishlistMy Profile

2. 06/12/2017 / 4:04 pm

We’re getting ready to re-do our deck and I love the idea of using lighting all around it. Thanks for the ideas!
    Scott recently posted…Santorini Board Game OverviewMy Profile

3. 06/12/2017 / 8:35 pm

We used to have a deck at our last property it was lovely in the summer, it took quite a lot of maintenance though

4. 07/12/2017 / 1:10 am

One of the things I love about my garden at home is the deck, it allows for the garden to have different levels to it and it also makes it feel bigger in some ways! It’s a great place to put plants as well!

5. 07/12/2017 / 4:11 am

Those folding doors are absolutely gorgeous and so elegant while being fully functional! I feel like we’re always in the middle of a backyard remodel so I’ve got my eye on this list!

6. Melanie
    07/12/2017 / 6:40 am

We just don’t spend enough time outside in our yard. I need to implement these ideas. It’s kind of like that movie Field of Dreams. “If you build it, they will come.”

7. Joanna
    07/12/2017 / 8:32 am

I have always wanted to have a garden, or at least a small balcony so that I can grow some vegetables in it but also flowers, many flowers. Your suggestions are great and if I will have a garden at my next house I will definitely build a deck and have a dedicated bbq area.

8. 07/12/2017 / 5:22 pm

So many great ideas! Makes you feel like you are outdoors and I love it! Reminds me of my parents home. They love bird feeders and on most days they spend lots of time on their deck which is right of the kitchen.

9. 07/12/2017 / 7:43 pm

I wish we had a a garden. I love the decking and the lightening as it gives it a soft glow, perfect for relaxing in the evening. The fire pit is a lovely idea
    kirsty recently posted…Autumn Plans ReviewMy Profile

10. 08/12/2017 / 12:36 am

Garden furniture and easy access eating areas are definitely my must have’s when it comes to warmer months. I love being out and eating alfresco. A decent fire pit is our next investment

11. Hannah
    10/12/2017 / 5:25 pm

I love watching the birds so I need to put some cameras out!

12. 11/12/2017 / 11:12 pm

Your photography and yoru ideas are very inspirational. I love my garden and seeing all those birds coming to visit everyday. Need to do an expansion soon.

13. 12/12/2017 / 12:48 am

I was just thinking that I need to make a plan for the gardens this year. I’m hoping to fence in the herb garden (and maybe grape vines) and creating a small outdoor dining area surrounded by the herbs and flowers. I also really, really need to replace my fire pit, there’s barely anything left!