5 Reasons You Should Visit Wales In Winter

Wales is a brilliant country to visit all year around, but there’s something about the winter season that gives it that little extra sparkle. Once the autumn winds have stripped the beautiful trees bare and the sun disappears below the horizon, Wales becomes mystical, dark and the perfect time to uncover the real Wales. Here are the top 5 reasons you should visit Wales in winter.

5 Reasons You Should Visit Wales In Winter

01. Windswept Walks

When you visit Wales in winter, you’ll be greeted with miles and miles of windswept beaches and near-deserted coastline almost to yourself. From Colwyn Bay beach to the seaside town of Rhyl, you can beat the tourists and feel like you’re completely at one with nature and its surroundings. Discover nature walks at Penrhyn, or enjoy stunning views over the Faenol, Menai Strait, and Snowdonia as you walk through the tranquil grounds of Plas Newydd. This is only a snapshot of the walks available – you will simply be spoilt for choice. So pop on your best walking boots, wrap up warm and get moving!

02. Country Pubs and Villages

There’s something quite hearty about stopping by a local village pub for some food and a warm drink after a day of adventure. Thankfully, Wales has no shortage of these. One of our favourites is Porthmadog, a quaint Welsh harbour town filled with charisma and charm. Porthmadog is rich in maritime history and is a perfect base for touring the beautiful surrounding area. It sparkles in winter and if you find yourself needing accommodation in Porthmadog, there’s plenty of places perfect for a winter weekend getaway.

03. Christmas Markets

Nothing says winter like a beautiful Christmas market filled with all your favourite treats and gifts. Christmas markets are held throughout all of Wales in winter and are generally held in typical town squares or market areas. All of the Christmas markets sell food and drink along with your typical seasonal items from open-air stalls, accompanied by traditional dancing and singing. These markets are inspired by the traditions that started in Germany – but Wales does a brilliant replica!

04. Embrace Welsh Traditions

Another great thing about winter in Wales is that many of the Welsh traditions take place during the winter months, including Hen Galan, which is the Welsh New Year; Noson Gyflaith, which is known as the toffee making tradition and St Dwynwen’s Day, known as the Welsh Valentine’s Day – an excuse to celebrate twice! You’ll have the opportunity to get a first-hand experience of traditional Welsh culture, food, and drink. You can truly embrace the life and atmosphere of a local.

05. Christmas in Snowdonia

Winter means there is plenty happening at the beautiful Snowdonia, from stargazing, fairs and more. Or if you’re an experienced walker then the Brecon Beacons and Snowdonia have their own winter charm of untouched snow and snow-capped peaks. There’s nothing quite like winter than a beautiful snowy view of the mountains and Wales will treat you to some of the most beautiful views around.

Beautiful Snowdonia in Winter

This is just a snapshot of the amazing things on offer during winter in Wales. You will simply be spoilt for choice. Embrace Welsh nature at its finest and stumble across wild waterfalls, mysterious castle ruins and ancient sites and some good surf spots if you can handle the temperature. A winter break to Wales is perfect for any length of time, you won’t run out of things to do whether you’re on a week-long holiday or a romantic weekend break.

Have you ever visited Wales in winter?
I’d love to hear what you loved about it!

1. 12/10/2017 / 11:36 pm

Oh I’ve never been to Wales but it looks so beautiful. And it sounds like there’s so many lovely things to do xx

2. 13/10/2017 / 10:56 am

You had me a the words – Christmas Markets!! Snowdonia looks lovely, very picturesque 🙂 x

3. 13/10/2017 / 11:04 am

I love Wales at any time of year, but you are right. In the winter, there’s just something so lovely about it, and the pubs are always so welcoming and cosy after a good hike! 😀

4. 13/10/2017 / 12:11 pm

This is so spooky, we have just recently been looking at Wales for a weekend break, great post and has inspired me to want to book soon x

5. 13/10/2017 / 4:06 pm

It teally looks a nice place to visit during this Christmas break and glad that you share this.

6. Pam
    13/10/2017 / 8:47 pm

I love winter. I prefer cold weather over hot any day and Wales looks beautiful. I would love to visit Wales any time of the year but I will keep in mind all of these great things about winter.

7. 13/10/2017 / 8:51 pm

The photos are gorgeous! I would love to visit Whales and Scotland. Bucket list destinations for sure!

8. 13/10/2017 / 9:53 pm

I think the Christmas markets in Wales would be my absolute favorite. I adore attending here in Chicago, so it would be thrilling to attend on a trip!

9. Dawn Nieves
    14/10/2017 / 3:09 am

I’ve never been but now I want to go. It sounds and looks beautiful!

10. 14/10/2017 / 3:47 am

To be honest, I’ve never travelled anywhere besides California and Florida.This to me is more my type of a vacation, it looks so serene and absolutely gorgeous!
    Jasmine recently posted…Miffy’s House Playset Now At WalmartMy Profile

11. 14/10/2017 / 4:06 am

I really want to go back to Europe soon hoping we can make it next year. Would be awesome to spend Christmas there. I bet Wales is wonderful.

12. Melanie
    14/10/2017 / 10:00 am

I could definitely picture myself in Wales for the holidays. I could picture myself there any time of year actually! We don’t get snow here so I would love to spend the holidays where we could see some.

13. 14/10/2017 / 7:17 pm

I think Wales easily has some of the most beautiful landscapes in the UK, Snowdonia looks stunning in the winter!

14. Andrew Girdwood
    18/10/2017 / 1:52 pm

Wales is lovely all year round – well, except those grey autumns! One thought I had was just how Cardiff castle and the city centre was worth visiting. If you’re not up to much walking due to health reasons then the castle is great because it’s so close to hotels and transport.

15. 18/10/2017 / 2:59 pm

These are unbelievable pictures! Wales in Winter sounds like an absolute dream. If we ever go we will be sure to catch the Christmas markets – what a hidden gem!

16. 18/10/2017 / 3:01 pm

17. 18/10/2017 / 4:12 pm

Beautiful share! I never been to Wales yet but it is our destination travel next year! We are big outdoor adventure hiker. Those views reminds me there might be lots of hiking trails as well!

18. 18/10/2017 / 5:46 pm

I really need to go back and explore there more. I plan on visiting the UK again soon to visit where my family originally came from, Wales is along the way think I will take a few extra days there! Thanks for sharing.

19. Blair villanueva
    20/10/2017 / 2:38 pm

I wonder what is like celebrating Christmas in Wales and enjoy thr Christmas market,, woukd it be like here in the Philippines (less the snow)?
    Hope I could visit Wales in the future!

20. Utminh
    21/10/2017 / 9:35 am

I have never been to Wales. Seeing a great place to go to discover it, I imagined the feeling when I was in Wales.

21. 25/10/2017 / 9:59 pm

The title of your post is catchy. When I think of winter destinations, the UK is at the bottom of my list, lol. Only been in May & August. I missed the Christmas markets by going then.