Top 8 Things to Do in Benidorm

If your idea of the perfect holiday is spending lots of time lounging on the beach, great weather, fantastic family attractions, and amazing nightlife then Benidorm could be the place for you! The resort, situated on the Costa Blanca, has an almost-iconic skyline of apartment towers running alongside four miles of beautiful, sandy beaches.

It’s safe to say that when visiting Benidorm you’ll always be able to find plenty to do. Whether it’s playing golf, paintballing, water sports or hiking, you could have an action-packed week or two in the sun, or enjoy a lazy little break doing next to nothing. And for today’s post, I thought I’d share my list of top 8 things to do while holidaying there. I hope you guys enjoy it.

Levante Beach01. LAVANTE BEACH

Lavante Beach is probably the most popular beach in Benidorm. And, in my opinion, this has a lot to do with its beautiful arc of pale, golden sand. During the summer months, the beach tends to fill up fairly quickly. But even on the busiest of days, you can usually find a secluded spot away from the rest of the crowd to sit and enjoy the sun.

Lavante Beach runs alongside a long line of skyscrapers. And if like me, the sea air tends to make you hungry, you can find hundreds of bars and restaurants along here to eat at. Of all the beaches I’ve ever set foot on, Lavante Beach is by far one of my favourites, and I can’t wait to visit it again some day. I think the kids would love it too!

Mundomar02. MUNDOMAR

If you’re holidaying in Benidorm with your little ones, I highly recommend visiting Mundomar, a wildlife park that has shows and demonstrations that the whole family can enjoy. The park has lots of different species of mammals, birds, and reptiles, and you can tell by the rapport that the show animals have with the keepers that they’re very well cared for.

Mundomar is open every day from 10am till 7pm, and it’s one of the many attractions you can enjoy all year round, which is perfect if you’re planning on visiting Benidorm in winter. You can also upgrade your trip by booking a special experience such as swimming with the sea lions, getting up close to the dolphins, or even becoming a keeper for the day. It’s sure to be an outing that everyone will remember for years to come.

Aqualandia03. AQUALANDIA

If splashing around at a water park is your idea of fun, then look no further than the absolutely amazing Aqualandia! Home to the Big Bang, the tallest water slide in Europe, Aqualandia is one of Spain’s best and oldest water parks. It opened for business back in 1985 and has gotten bigger and better every year, with new rides and attractions being added all the time.

There are plenty of different things for the whole family to try at Aqualandia, from calm pools for the little ones, rapid rides for those wanting a little more excitement, and a vertical slide for those who love white knuckle rides. I know my two would both enjoy a trip to Aqualandia if we’re ever lucky enough to visit Benidorm again, as they love nothing more than the thrill of whooshing down brilliant water slides! Oh, and did I mention that the water for all these slides, pools and jacuzzis is piped straight from the Med? Following a bit of desalting, of course!

Terra Mitica04. TERRA MíTICA

If you’re a parent with older children then I’d most definitely recommend treating them to a day out at Terra Mítica, a theme park that transports you directly to the history of Greece, Egypt, and Rome and is crammed with roller coasters, shows and other attractions.

Terra Mítica is aimed at those of us who enjoy an adrenaline rush, as most of the rides are those of the white knuckle variety. There are a few rides for the little ones to enjoy there, but it’s mostly aimed at adults and older kids. Unless, of course, your 4-year-old is like mine and loves nothing more than wild rides that would have most children crying for them to stop!

05. BALCÓN DEL MEDIERRÁNEO

The very first time I visited Benidorm was back in January 1991 during the Gulf War. Every morning we would have breakfast, and then the British would be led to a private room where we could watch the news and keep up to date with what was happening. Anyway, once the news had finished, my mum, dad and I would go for a walk around the town. And it was during one of those walks that I remember coming across the Balcón del Medierráneo for the very first time.

The Balcón del Medierráneo is basically a beautiful viewpoint between Benidorm’s two main sandy beaches, atop a rocky divider where a castle once stood. It has chess board tiles on the ground and white balustrades around the edge. And the views surrounding it are absolutely breathtaking. You should even be able to spot Peacock Island in the distance. Which brings me nicely to my next recommendation …

Peacock Island06. BENIDORM ISLAND – AKA PEACOCK ISLAND

Benidorm Island, more commonly known as Peacock Island, is a small island and nature reserve just off the Spanish coast. You can take a boat trip across from the mainland to visit the islands wonderful wildlife. And of course, you’ll be able to see lots of wild peacocks while you’re there! The boat leaves every hour from the port, and it just goes back and forth, so you can spend as little or as long as you like there. There’s a restaurant where you can grab a bite to eat, and when you look back at Benidorm with it’s huge skyscrapers you’re guaranteed to be taken aback. It really can be a lovely little trip that won’t break the bank.

I haven’t been to Peacock Island for a long time, but it was one of my favourite places to go when I was a kid. I’ll have to see if I can dig out an old photo that my mum has of me sitting on the island in a red cardigan. And if I can find it I’ll add it into this post at a later date. As long as you guys promise not to laugh. After all, it was taken back in the 90’s!

Sierra Helada07. SIERRA HELADA

If you enjoy going for a hike whilst on holiday then make sure you check out the Sierra Helada Natural Park, which covers a large portion of the coastline just next door to Benidorm. Within minutes you can leave the sky-scraping towers behind you and find sky-scraping cliffs instead! All you need is a good pair of shoes, a hat to protect you from the sun, and a bottle of water, and you’re all set for a hike through a rugged landscape of limestone rocks and Aleppo pines.

At the northern end of the park, you’ll find a paved road that leads up to the fantastic Albir Lighthouse. And if you enjoy a more challenging walk then make sure you head for the radio masts at the highest point of the park, 300 metres above the sea. Sierra Helada is absolutely beautiful and well worth the short trek out of town to explore.

Benidorm Palace08. BENIDORM PALACE

For a night out to remember, make sure you head on over to the Benidorm Palace, where you’ll be treated to a spectacular variety show featuring live music, humour, magic, and, of course, some traditional Flamenco Dancing. Olé! You can also pay a little extra to have your dinner while you enjoy the entertainment. Many people say that the shows at the Benidorm Palace rival those in London’s West End, but at a fraction of the cost. And I’d be inclined to agree.

The Benidorm Palace is currently open from Tuesday through to Saturday, and the doors open at 8:30pm with the show starting at 10pm. It’s most definitely worth a visit if you want an enjoyable night out that isn’t going to cost a small fortune.

Top 8 Things to Do in Benidorm

Have you ever been to Benidorm before? If so, do you have any other recommendations for things to do?
Make sure you let me know in the comments below!

Thanks for reading.

This post is sponsored by Holiday Gems. All views are my own.

1. 14/09/2017 / 3:29 pm

What a beautiful place and there is so much to do there. There really is a lot of variety so no matter what your interests there is something for everyone. The rides at the Terra Mitica look like loads of fun as well.

• 15/09/2017 / 9:10 pm

They really are! I didn’t even know there was a theme park there until the last time I visited, and we went a LOT when I was a kid!x
      Louise recently posted…My Bedroom WishlistMy Profile

2. 14/09/2017 / 5:37 pm

I had no idea any of this was near Benidorm! We drove through once and straight back out again! The aqua park and theme park look really fun!

• 15/09/2017 / 9:12 pm

It’s definitely the sort of place you need to research before you go, otherwise it just looks like it’s all beach and bars! I remember the first time we tried to find the Benidorm Palace. We just walked for miles. Eventually we gave up, and later that evening we found out we’d literally given up the search right around the corner. LOL 😀
      Louise recently posted…Holidaying Abroad | 3 Things We Want Our Holiday Accommodation to HaveMy Profile

• 15/09/2017 / 9:14 pm

I’ve only ever been during the winter, and it seems very family friendly then. My mum and dad seem to think it’s the summer months that see the young adult crowd there that give it a bad name!x
      Louise recently posted…Help! My Kids are Making My Hair Fall OutMy Profile

3. 14/09/2017 / 7:35 pm

I’ve never been to Benidorm as I imagined it quite differently. It looks like there is so much to do and a great place for family holidays!

4. 14/09/2017 / 7:45 pm

So I admit, Benidorm has never been on my vacation list… but after reading your post… wow! I had no idea there was so much to do and nearby. Definitely looks like a great destination 🙂

5. 14/09/2017 / 8:19 pm

What a beautiful place…I think Peacock Island would be a fun place to explore and maybe do a little fishing as well….

6. 14/09/2017 / 8:54 pm

I will confess, I had no idea where Benidorm was so I had to google it!
    Spain has been on my bucket list for YEARS and now I want to go even more so.
    I would love to dip my toes in the beautiful blue ocean!

7. 14/09/2017 / 9:44 pm

I love this post! I spent a summer working in Benidorm when I was about 19, and unsurprisingly I didn’t experience any of these things, I worked all night and slept all day! It was great fun though, but looks like I missed out on a lot!

8. 15/09/2017 / 12:38 am

I have no idea where Benidorm is, but those photos are gorgeous. I’ll have to look this place up as it seems like there are a ton fun things to do.

9. 15/09/2017 / 1:05 am

That water is stunning~ I don’t think you would be able to keep me out of it to do anything else. 😉 Thanks for the great post and things to do in Benidorm. Great ideas.

10. reesa
    15/09/2017 / 1:54 am

I have to be honest, I have no idea where this is! Never heard of it before! But, it’s beautiful and offers so much to do!

11. 15/09/2017 / 12:54 pm

The hiking and exploring up Sierra Helada would be amazing to do as I’ll bet the views are incredible. I would also love to explore Mundoma as I love animals x

12. 15/09/2017 / 1:40 pm

I’ve never really thought about going to Benidorm, because everyone I know says it is just a party place. But this has definitely got me thinking!

13. Ashley Mullins
    15/09/2017 / 2:53 pm

I have never been to Benidorm, but I might just have to add it too my list after seeing this. That beach looks beautiful! And I love how there is just a big city around it. So cool! Thanks for sharing!

14. 15/09/2017 / 11:16 pm

Gosh Benidorm looks great. I was there in the early 90’s too with my parents and I remember going to the flamenco pirate night at the Benidorm Palace. It was very entertaining and my parents had a great time. I am sorry I missed Peacock Island though as I so love them.

15. 16/09/2017 / 12:12 am

I love water parks and theme parks. They are the highlight of summer holidays for me as they are a great way to stay cool and stay feeling young!

16. 16/09/2017 / 12:35 am

Wow! This place looks absolutely breath-taking! To be honest, I’ve never been the type to bookmark vacations spots, but this definitely made me start. Thank you for the insight into this gorgeous place

17. 16/09/2017 / 3:08 am

Things to do in Benidorm is simply amazing. I love waterparks and this one is worth visiting. Bucket listed this destination.

18. 16/09/2017 / 5:14 am

Benidorm looks like such a wonderful place to visit! If my husband and I are ever lucky enough to go, you can bet we’d go hiking in Sierra Helada Natural Park (for her) and visit Mundomar (for him) x

19. 16/09/2017 / 6:18 pm

This looks like such an incredible place to visit! I hadn’t even heard of it before reading this post. Now it’s definitely on my bucket list of places to take my kids!

20. 16/09/2017 / 11:17 pm

That looks like a lot of fun. I would love to swim with the dolphins although I am not sure they would allow that. LOL. Looks super family friendly.

21. 17/09/2017 / 7:01 am

Benidorm has such a reputation for being a drinking resort but there is obviously some beautiful places to visit too

22. 17/09/2017 / 7:25 am

Benidorm seems so family friendly! I will have to go one day – looks like so much fun, I love water parks haha

23. 17/09/2017 / 9:04 am

There looks like some amazing things to do there with my family I love the idea of a good waterpark and that looks an amazing one ?

24. 17/09/2017 / 5:02 pm

Oh my! This place looks so fantastic! I wish i could go here someday! It will be surely fun.

25. 17/09/2017 / 6:12 pm

I love all these amazing pictures. This looks like a wonderful place to visit. I would love to go here someday. But travel right now is not in the cards for me. Money is too tight. But someday I would love to travel and see the wonders of the world.

26. 18/09/2017 / 12:06 am

I am in love with Balcon de Mediterraneo. It seems like there is a million stories behind it. Love stories, heartbreaks, loyalty, and betrayal, see? they’re all romantic.

27. Catherine Sargent
    18/09/2017 / 8:37 pm

This looks like a wonderful place to vacation with the family. I would love to go and see the animals at Mundomar .

28. 18/09/2017 / 8:46 pm

Who knew Benidorm had so much to offer, I’d be hitting up Mundomar, Aqualandia and Terra Mitica. My friends are actually out there right now, I’ll have to let them know about all these places
    Tanya recently posted…Urban Decay All Nighter Setting SprayMy Profile

29. 19/09/2017 / 3:37 pm

No wonder the beach is so popular it is absolutely gorgeous and I love the sound of the water park. I love water parks x

30. 19/09/2017 / 11:59 pm

I have never even heard of this place but it looks absolutely amazing. And there is such a variety of things to do. So fun!

31. 20/09/2017 / 9:39 am

Great tips! I always knew Benidorm was a popular destination but I didn’t know there was so much to see and do.

32. 22/09/2017 / 1:31 pm

I’ve never ever considered going to Benidorm before, mostly because of the slightly down-market reputation it used to have. It does look really beautiful and there seems like there’s much more going on than English bars and all night drinking. Thanks for enlightening me 🙂
    HodgePodgeDays recently posted…Meet the new Thor Figurine from Schleich MarvelMy Profile