Building-A-Bear for National Teddy Bear Day

This week, Oscar, my youngest, started school. And even though he really doesn’t like it, he’s been a good boy and gone in every day without too many tears and tantrums. So, on Tuesday afternoon after the school bell rang, we decided to take him to the Build-A-Bear Workshop in Meadowhall so he could make his very own special friend to cuddle up to every night.

And as it just so happens to be National Teddy Bear Day today, I thought I’d share our Build-A-Bear Experience with you guys in case you were thinking of paying them a visit yourselves. I hope you enjoy it.

Building-A-Bear for National Teddy Bear Day

So, if you haven’t heard of the Build-A-Bear Workshop before, where have you been?! It’s one of our all-time favourite places to take the kids for an extra-special treat, as you get to make your very own teddy bear friends, dress them in lots of different outfits, and generally just have lots and lots of fun.

Oscar at Build-A-Bear

The main reason we decided to head to the Build-A-Bear Workshop in Meadowhall rather than the one in nearby Nottingham was that it opens till 9pm at night, meaning we had time to go and grab a bite to eat at the food court first. We arrived at the store around 7pm, and as there were only a couple of people inside I asked if it would be possible to film Oscar making his teddy bear for his YouTube channel. But sadly, I was told no. I did manage to get a good few photographs to write up a blog post instead though. Hurray!

Lots of Bears to choose from, but Oscar knows which one he wants ...

As soon as I told Oscar he could choose a new bear to make, he beamed from ear-to-ear and rushed over to the display to where a ready-made Cookie Monster was. I asked if he was sure that’s the one he wanted, as there were literally hundreds of different ones to choose from, like Poppy and Guy Diamond from Trolls, Sonic the Hedgehog, Pikachu, and most of the Paw Patrol Gang.

He told me he was sure, and I was secretly pleased as the Cookie Monster was my favourite Sesame Street character when I was a child too! I think he would have been happy to leave the shop with the ready-made Cookie Monster under his arm at this point. But I made him put it back as this is where the real fun begins …

Choosing which Bear to Make at Build-A-Bear Meadowhall

I think Oscar’s least-favourite part of the Build-A-Bear Experience is when you pick up an unstuffed toy at the very beginning of the process. You can see the apprehensive look on his face in the picture above, and I remember the very first time I took him to make his own teddy bear. He cried every time we picked one up. I guess they look a little weird to little ones though.

Stuffing The Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Taking Shape

It's Super Exciting Building-A-Bear!

Next, a lovely store assistant led Oscar over to the stuffing machine and explained that they were going to fill the Cookie Monster up with lots of lovely stuffing so he would be nice and cuddly. She let Oscar press down on the pedal with his foot while she worked, and he loved that she chatted with him through the whole process. He’s a proper little ladies man!

Warming Up Cookie Monster's Heart

Once the Cookie Monster was stuffed, it was time to choose a heart to pop inside him. Oscar went for one with a pattern on, but before it could be placed inside he had to rub it between his hands to warm it up, and give it a nice big kiss. At this point, you can also choose some other bits and pieces to put inside your teddy bears, such as a special scent or sound.

We decided to go for the Cookie Monster’s 6-in-1 sound pack, so every time Oscar squeeze’s his paw he’ll hear one of his signature sayings. The sound packs are £4.50 each, but in the 15+ years I’ve spent buying bears with sounds in, I’ve never known them stop working, so I think they’re definitely worth the money.

Giving Cookie Monster a Heart

Oscar Cuddling The Cookie Monster

Oscar loved that he got to place the Cookie Monster’s heart inside all by himself. Once that was done the store assistant sewed him up so that no stuffing, hearts or sound packs could fall out! And then it was the moment Oscar had been waiting for … it was time for a cuddle. Aww!

Choosing Clothes for the Cookie Monster

As I’d taken Oscar along to Build-A-Bear as a special treat, I told him he could choose some clothes and accessories for his new friend. It didn’t take him long to find the Sesame Street display, and I was super impressed with all the items they had in the range.

Oscar eventually chose a Cookie Monster T-Shirt and a wristie shaped like a cookie. These came in at £6.50 and £3.50 respectively. I think he would have liked a few more items as well, so if he continues to go to school nicely over the next couple of weeks, I may just treat him to some. I mean, how cute is that Sesame Street sleepsuit with all the characters printed on to it?!

Dressing The Cookie Monster

Once the clothing and accessories had been picked out, the store manager led Oscar over to the dressing table, so he could dress the Cookie Monster up in his new attire. And while he was doing that, I headed over to the computer to type up the Cookie Monster’s birth certificate. This means that if he ever gets lost and someone kindly hands him in at a Build-A-Bear Workshop, they can open him up, check his ID number and then return him to us at home. How good is that?

According to the certificate, Cookie Monster is 45 centimetres in height, 283 grams in weight, has black eyes, royal blue fur and, of course, he belongs to Oscar.

Oscar and Cookie Monster

As always, Oscar had lots of fun at the Build-A-Bear Workshop, and we found that the staff at the Meadowhall store were really friendly and welcoming. The shop floor was lovely, clean and tidy too. And it seemed a lot lighter inside than other Build-A-Bear’s we’ve visited in the past. We will definitely be shopping there again.

Since getting home, Oscar has played with the Cookie Monster no end. And I have to admit that I often sneak a cuddle when I think no one else is looking. He’s just so cute and cuddly. We all love him! The only problem is he’s only available to buy at Build-A-Bear Workshops for a limited amount of time. So if you want to get your hands on one, you’d better hurry!

Cookie Monster Plush – £19.00 ||link||

Have you ever shopped at a Build-A-Bear Workshop before?
Did you enjoy it? Let me know in the comments below!

Cookie Monster and all accessories purchased with my own money

1. 09/09/2017 / 9:51 am

How cute to have a national teddy bear day!! Also, your little made an epic choice for their bear – who doesn’t love the cookie monster!!

2. 09/09/2017 / 6:52 pm

Freya absolutely loves Build-A-Bear, much to my dismay as she can spend a small fortune in a matter of minutes. We spend £40 in there one day after her birthday on a bear, tutu, tshirt and yoga mat!!

I am surprised they wouldn’t let you film – I would have thought it would be great publicity to see a kid enjoying themselves in store. It’s not exactly like it’s a secret how the bears were made!

• 13/09/2017 / 3:40 am

Aww, bless her! It can get quite expensive if the little ones decide they want to dress them up, can’t it? I was quite surprised that they wouldn’t let us film too. Especially as Oscar was the only child in the shop the night we went. And I would have been super careful not to get anyone else in shot 🙂

Louise x
      Louise recently posted…My Bedroom WishlistMy Profile

3. 09/09/2017 / 8:55 pm

Oh we love build a bear! I think it’s partly the fab bears they do but partly that they can make it themselves and see the process. It’s an all round experience.

4. 09/09/2017 / 8:58 pm

OMG that face – he’s so happy!! I bet the cookie monster is super soft, Happy National Bear day 🙂

5. 10/09/2017 / 9:28 am

We have so many build a bears in our house. Jared has two I have one and we have inherited my sisters bear too plus a few other that we just ended up with. We plan to get his sister her very own this year. I think it’s a great place to take kids I’ve not tackled the one in meadowhall as that place drives me crazy lol. Hope Oscar settles in school x

• 13/09/2017 / 3:44 am

It really is! And Oscar literally takes Cookie Monster everywhere now. LOL. I keep expecting him to ask if we can go back and get an Elmo, but so far he hasn’t mentioned it.x
      Louise recently posted…Birchbox | July 2017 EditionMy Profile

• 13/09/2017 / 3:45 am

There is SO much choice! Sometimes it can feel a little overwhelming. But this time Oscar knew exactly what he wanted so we were in and out pretty quickly 🙂
      Louise recently posted…Surviving the Summer with BeroccaMy Profile

6. 10/09/2017 / 10:33 pm

How cool that you have Build-A-Bears in the UK,they are VERY popular in the States and it seems every big shopping mall has one now….

• 13/09/2017 / 3:46 am

I’m not at all surprised that they’re really popular over in the states as they’re quite popular over here. I think the majority of the larger shopping centres have one inside 🙂
      Louise recently posted…Last-minute family holiday ideasMy Profile

• 13/09/2017 / 3:48 am

It really was. I think they also had a 2-day deal on for National Teddy Bear Day where you could get a bear at a quarter of its usual price! Sadly, we went a few days before that.
      Louise recently posted…My Hair Care Routine & Favourite ProductsMy Profile

7. 11/09/2017 / 5:53 am

Aw what a cutie! Looks like so much fun. Definitely need to try this with my nieces.

8. 11/09/2017 / 7:25 am

Omg Oscar is so adorable and good looking! I especially love that Pikachu doll 🙂

9. 11/09/2017 / 7:41 am

I never heard about the national teddy bear day!! It looks so much fun to do with kids. Little cutie looks very happy with his cookie monster!

10. 11/09/2017 / 8:00 am

I didn’t know there was a national teddy bear day. This is such a cute idea! I don’t have kids yet but that is something I could do with them when I do have kids. I know a shop in Manchester does that!

11. 11/09/2017 / 10:02 am

I didn’t know there was a National Teddy Bear Day OMG! Also, we don’t really have build-a-bear here in the Philippines. It looks like something that my nieces and nephews would enjoy.

12. 11/09/2017 / 11:06 am

My daughter used to love Build a Bear. It looks as though Oscar had a lovely time x

13. Fatima
    11/09/2017 / 11:11 am

This sounds so much fun for the little ones! My son loves his bears and would love to experience this as well. Taking him to the store soon!

14. 11/09/2017 / 11:30 am

Everyday is a day to celebrate! Even the teddy bears! How cute idea to personalise your teddy bear! I know that my daughter would love doing something similar when she gets older! And this is a perfect gift for any child for birthday, christmas or when he or she is saf over something.

15. 11/09/2017 / 2:24 pm

I had no idea it was National Teddy Bear Day! My daughter hasn’t been to build a bear, but I know she will love it!

16. Akamatra
    11/09/2017 / 2:57 pm

What a cool national day! I love how happy he seems! My hubby would kill for the cookie monster!

17. 11/09/2017 / 4:36 pm

It is so cute that the kids get to pop a heart inside their own toy and I think it’s a wonderful idea to be able to choose and make up your own soft toy. I would have loved to do that as a child. Very sweet that it made him cry the first time. Kids are too precious!

18. 11/09/2017 / 6:54 pm

My daughter absolutely loves this shop – it can really add up though! My daughter wanted all the clothes and shoes as well as pjs so we had to draw line somewhere ?

19. 11/09/2017 / 7:02 pm

Aw his face is the sweetest in these photos, he looks so happy! I am forever going to build a bear as an adult and feel like I get some weird looks, but I don’t care they’re adorable!! x
    Olivia Thristan recently posted…Tips for surviving freshers week!My Profile

20. 11/09/2017 / 7:15 pm

That’s so cute! I have to say, it wasn’t quite as nice and cute when I got a build a bear for my cousin, but then again, I was a 21 year old woman. Ha!
    Elodie recently posted…In-flight Beauty EssentialsMy Profile

21. 11/09/2017 / 7:43 pm

We are planning to do build a bear from my sons main birthday gift when he turns 3. they really lovely and I like that he can design his own. Oscar looks so happy with choosing his own.
    Joanna recently posted…Living Arrows – 37/52My Profile

22. 11/09/2017 / 7:53 pm

We’ve done build-a-bear only once but it was super-fun. The kids loved that they were involved in the whole process. Such a great activity for a rainy day too!

23. hannah
    11/09/2017 / 8:03 pm

This looks great. I didn’t know it was national teddy bear day

24. Safia
    11/09/2017 / 8:08 pm

These pictures are so cute and I love Cookie Monster!

25. 11/09/2017 / 8:32 pm

I love this! My girls just got into Build a Bear- I know they would love to celebrate there!

26. 11/09/2017 / 8:36 pm

I’ve heard of built a bear but haven’t actually been to one yet. This looks like a fun experience for kids. Looks like you guys are having fun.

27. 11/09/2017 / 9:23 pm

Awww this is so cute! I did this when I was younger and still have my bear Oscar. I brought a wardrobe for him and clothes too! Though I’ll always remember he used to say ‘I love you’ when I squeezed him and once when the battery was going, I accidentally rolled over him in the middle of the night and he said it but it came out all demonic and scary and scared me so much, haha! x

28. 11/09/2017 / 9:32 pm

I can’t wait to try the Build A Bear experience with my 18 month old (when he’s a little bit older). He loves his teddies so much, and those ones sound extra special. Your little boy looks like he had a fab time. Thanks for sharing!

29. 11/09/2017 / 10:32 pm

My grandchildren love the Build-A-Build store! The first time they were a little over whelmed but once they had their finished animal they were in awe and yes, you know it they wanted to back again and again. Your little Oscar is so friggen cute! I could never tell that face no. lol
    Gladys parker recently posted…Deluxe Cosmetic Case Make Up Kit from make it real playMy Profile

30. 11/09/2017 / 10:39 pm

I love cookie monster! My daughters have a whole family of little ones, they’d love to make big ones. I can certainly see my oldest being a little freaked out over the empty bears though!

31. reesa
    12/09/2017 / 1:04 am

My kids just love Build a Bear. I love the Sesame Street characters

32. Catvills
    12/09/2017 / 1:35 am

I will be taking my little nephews and nieces to experience this Build A Bear. I know they’d be super happy to bring home a new buddy. I love that by doing this we can also help the organizations that Build A Bear supports.

33. 12/09/2017 / 2:30 am

This is such a great place for kids to go and be creative. It’s absolutely amazing

34. Claudia Krusch
    12/09/2017 / 2:52 am

We had a great experience at Build-A-Bear. I still have the bear my Son made and it was 12 years ago. I want to go back and make one for myself.

35. Megan
    12/09/2017 / 2:55 am

I had no idea there was a National Teddy Bear Day! My kiddos enjoyed going to Build-A-Bear the one time we went.

36. Shell
    12/09/2017 / 3:57 am

Aww!!! I love how happy your little one is!!! My youngest LOVES going to BAB!!!! We have so many of them 🙂 his fave was one his big brother took him to build at Disneyland 🙂

37. 12/09/2017 / 4:38 am

That would be the cutest day I wanted to witness! The pics of your son with Blue teddy are just as cute as a standalone teddy.. Lots of love

38. 12/09/2017 / 5:33 am

I would so love a cookie monster and getting him to place the heart seems so special. Shame they didn’t let you film but the pictures look great!
    Vicky recently posted…Family Fridays #2My Profile

39. 12/09/2017 / 6:14 am

Isn’t it awesome to celebrate this day by building a bear that our kids will love! I’m sure your son had an amazing time!

40. 12/09/2017 / 6:28 am

It’s been a while since my kids were little enough for Build a Bear. I had no idea you could build things other than bears. I love the Cookie Monster. Great choice!

41. 12/09/2017 / 6:38 am

I had never heard of Build-a-Bear before now but it sounds like a lot of fun. My daughter would love to do this! I love how you can personalise the bear as well, it will be something he keeps for years to come.

42. 12/09/2017 / 7:28 am

I don’t have Build a Bear near us and really miss this. This blue teddy bear is really cute one. I love its white big eyes.

43. 12/09/2017 / 9:07 am

National bear day is an awesome idea 🙂 And that teddy is so cute. I might sneak a snuggle too

44. 12/09/2017 / 9:25 am

We love Build a Bear my daughter gets a new one for her birthday each year and loves creating them. She has just started school too recently, although she is still just doing half days at the moment, I hope Oscar starts enjoying it soon x
    Newcastle Family Life recently posted…Other Bloggers Family Lives Featuring KizmetcavaMy Profile

45. 12/09/2017 / 12:38 pm

I used to LOVE Build a Bear when I was younger. It’s so exciting getting to stuff the bear and name it yourself 🙂

46. 12/09/2017 / 12:42 pm

Oh look at his happy little face! That cookie monster is amazing!

47. Kelly Reci
    12/09/2017 / 2:44 pm

This is so cute to have a national teddy bear day!! and It’s so exciting to have a teddy bear and name it by myself.

48. 12/09/2017 / 3:40 pm

I’m desperate to take my daughter here but I’m waiting until she is three so she can really understand the experience and get the most out of it. Looks amazing fun!

49. Julie Syl
    12/09/2017 / 3:42 pm

It’s really fun idea to build a bear!..Your kid is so cute and had a lot of fun with Cookie Monster..Great article

50. 12/09/2017 / 4:06 pm

My boys love Build A Bear but I try to limit our visits to once a year otherwise I end up spending a small fortune!

51. 12/09/2017 / 6:41 pm

I loved that place as a kid. They have the cutest little outfits for them. Such a fun activity to do for national teddy bear day!

52. 12/09/2017 / 7:03 pm

Awww, what a sweet way to commemorate teddy bear day. I didn’t know it existed!

53. 12/09/2017 / 7:12 pm

I love taking my neice to the build a bear workshop. Theres always so many great bears to choose from. I love that Cookie Monster too!

54. 12/09/2017 / 7:38 pm

This is such a cute idea for Natuonal Teddy Bear day! Looks like you guys had fun!

55. 12/09/2017 / 9:16 pm

I am no longer a kid and I still love built a bear!! Your child looks so happy with his cookie monster! His big smile speaks for itself!

56. 13/09/2017 / 3:40 am

I love Build a Bear and haven’t thought about them in the longest time. When my daughter was little, we took her and a couple of friends there for her birthday and it was the best time. Love you little one’s Cookie Monster! Makes me want one of my own. x

57. 13/09/2017 / 3:57 am

What a darling little boy and his blue teddy bear. I love the idea of a national Teddy Bear Day. I’d love to share a fun activity like this with my nieces and nephews.

58. 13/09/2017 / 7:13 am

Awe, this is such a cute way to spend National Teddy Bear Day. Oscar’s excitement for his cookie monster is clearly visible in his smile.
    Aditi recently posted…Schezwan Sauce Recipe | Food DiariesMy Profile

59. 13/09/2017 / 10:24 am

We didn’t realise it was national teddy bear day! We always manage to spend too much money in Build-A-Bear shops! It’s amazing 🙂

60. 13/09/2017 / 1:25 pm

oh em geeee! I caught the pokemon plushies lurking behind your little one!! I want!

61. 13/09/2017 / 3:48 pm

He is so adorable!! My kids LOOOVE going to Build-a-Bear (even the 10 yo!) I didn’t know they had Sesame Street there, now we’ll probably have to visit again soon, lol!

62. 13/09/2017 / 9:44 pm

I took my girls to do build a bear for the first time last weekend. They got a voucher for their birthday’s and they were so excited. I thought the experience was brilliant and I love all the things they get them to do with the heart. Every childs dream x

63. 14/09/2017 / 1:27 am

Ahh so cute!!! We love build a bear. Shame they wouldn’t let you film though, surely when you’ve paid for an activity you should be able to film your child doing it?! I wouldn’t be happy about that at all x

64. 14/09/2017 / 6:41 am

We dont have this here at all, and this is something my little one would love to do. I would have so much fun there as well. We are heading to London in the Spring, could we do it or is it just for Teddy Bear Day?

65. Melissa
    14/09/2017 / 5:36 pm

My son would absolutely love Build A Bear! We’ve seen a few in shopping malls when my son was too young, but he just turned 3 years old and I think he’s at the age where he would appreciate it. Thanks for reminding me about this fun activity – adding it to our to-do list.

66. 14/09/2017 / 6:33 pm

Yaay for National Teddy Bear Day! We have never done build a bear but it looks like a fab experience. How thrilled does Oscar look with his bear! I’m going to have to take my two here.

67. 15/09/2017 / 8:15 am

Loved all those toys. My kids would love them for sure.

68. 15/09/2017 / 8:46 pm

Ahh we love Build a bear! My girls especially adore the whole process of making the bear and then the filling and the wish, its such a lovely experience. I always try to walk past the shop very fast when it’s not birthdays or Christmas as it can get quite expensive when the kids want to “browse”.
    five little doves recently posted…Review: Barbie Deluxe Styling HeadMy Profile

69. 16/09/2017 / 7:48 am

Haven’t heard of this day until now but it looks I’m going to start celebrating it. lol. Sweet photos! <3

70. 16/09/2017 / 4:39 pm

Every time I see a teddy bear always reminds me of buying myself a life-size one.

71. 17/09/2017 / 9:30 am

I was never aware of the national teddy bear day. It sounds a nice celebration. Most people love teddy bears and I am sure they would be glad that there is a day to celebrate their fondness of that toy.

72. 17/09/2017 / 7:55 pm

Looks like Oscar had a super time building his bear! Cookie monster is such a great choice! Glad you all enjoyed it. thanks for the fab blog post

73. 18/09/2017 / 7:34 am

Aww we love the cookie monster! I didn’t realise they had him in there – going to have to pop in now! x

74. 18/09/2017 / 7:47 am

JEALOUS!! That cookie monster looks amazing, I would have loved something like this at that age!

75. 18/09/2017 / 10:58 am

Aww this is the sweetest thing! I’ve always wanted to build a bear but I was never young enough to go and do it myself. I’m loving the options they have in build a bear now! Only problem is they’ve become incredibly prices, especially for extra items like clothes etc xx

76. 19/09/2017 / 1:52 am

I want to build a cookie monster! He was always my favourite! Probably because I love cookies

77. Dawn Nieves
    19/09/2017 / 3:14 am

We love visiting our local Build a Bear. It’s always so fun! I especially love the Elmo and Cookie Monster. So cute!! I need to get these!

78. 19/09/2017 / 6:40 am

How uttering incredible, I have heard about the build your own bear workshops but never actually seen a post on it. This is super cool and love the cookie monster, I wouldnt mind taking my nephew one day
    Anosa recently posted…Dinner and wine tasting at Franco Manca OxfordMy Profile

79. 19/09/2017 / 2:26 pm

Cookie Monster is always a classic! So fun seeing characters from my childhood still popping up everywhere.

80. 19/09/2017 / 2:29 pm

We have just moved back to the UK from Germany and my kids have only just discovered Build a Bear! They have made me promise that I will take them there soon! x

81. 19/09/2017 / 3:05 pm

Happy National Teddy Bear Day! Loving the cookie monster. I’m sure Oscar was thrilled. Kids will definitely love this.

82. 19/09/2017 / 6:34 pm

I’m a big fan of Build A Bear! I love that Blue Elmo!!! Your baby looks so happy with it.

83. 19/09/2017 / 8:34 pm

Oscar looked like he had a great time. I remember going to Build-A-Bear as a kid and loved that store. I have a niece and I can’t wait to bring her there. Good choice with Cookie Monster.

84. 21/09/2017 / 5:26 am

He is so adorable. My kids love teddy bears too. The place looks welcoming and kids can enjoy there for sure.

85. Rebecca Swenor
    21/09/2017 / 5:33 am

It seems Oscar got happier with each step of the process during the building of his teddy bear. He face at the end is priceless and so adorable. Thanks for sharing your experiences and information.

86. 22/09/2017 / 2:42 am

How did I now know this was a day???? My Kiddies and I used to Build-A-Bear every year for Christmas. We missed the past few year.. I think we may need to bring back our tradition!

87. 28/09/2017 / 2:36 am

My boys bought me a build-a-bear for Christmas one year & it’s one of my very favorite gifts ever … so thanks for the lovely memories & I’ll be peeking at my bear soon.