Holidaying Abroad | 3 Things We Want Our Holiday Accommodation to Have

We’re well into the second week of August now, and I’ve seen Facebook post after Facebook post of friends and family enjoying their summer holidays abroad. And I’m not going to lie – they’re making me jealous! It’s been a good 11 years since I last left the country, and although I didn’t miss holidaying abroad to begin with, I’m itching to visit places outside of the UK now.

I’ve recently found myself checking out apartments and villas for rent on a daily basis over on the Clickstay website, as they offer a massive range of holiday accommodation in over 50 different countries. And since I started searching for the perfect place to visit, I’ve realised that there are 3 things that the kids and I really want our holiday accommodation to have. Can you guys guess what they are?

Holidaying Abroad: 3 Things We Want Our Holiday Accommodation to Have

1. A Private Pool

The thing that’s most definitely at the top of the list of things we really want our holiday accommodation to have is a private pool. You may remember me sharing a post on my daughter Stacey’s travel essentials recently, and in that post, she included an inflatable unicorn that we picked up in Primark earlier this year. Sadly, the pool in the complex we stayed in wasn’t all that big, and she was told that she couldn’t use it due to their being other people in there at the same time as us. But this wouldn’t have been a problem had we holidayed abroad in an apartment or villa that had its own private pool!

There are loads of other perks to having a private pool in your holiday accommodation too. Such as being able to take photo’s of the kids without being told off. Knowing you can use the pool whenever you want to and not be having to worry about it being full of other people. And the big one for me: being able to change into a swimsuit and splash around in the pool with the rest of the family without wondering if everyone around you is taking note of just how fat you are. Bliss!

2. Air Conditioning

If there’s one thing us Brits can’t stand, it’s got to be the heat. We spend all winter complaining about how cold it is, yet when the sun comes out for the whole five seconds of summer, what do we do? Complain that it’s too damn hot!! The weather really can’t win, and if you think it’s been scorching hot here in the UK recently, just wait until you feel the heat of the sun abroad! It’s crazy hot, and I don’t think anything can really prepare you for it.

During the day you might be lucky enough to get a nice bit of a breeze to accompany the heat, but at night you’re sure to just feel hot and sticky. And that’s why we want to be sure that our holiday accommodation has air conditioning, so we can be sure that we’re going to get a nice, cool, peaceful night’s sleep. Oh, and so I can escape the sun for an hour or two during the day and read a few pages of the book I started like, four years ago. But don’t tell the kids that!

3. WiFi

OK, I know what you’re going to say! Why do I need WiFi when I’m supposed to be on holiday relaxing? Well, for one, my full-time job is blogging, and I like to make sure any posts and social updates I’ve scheduled for the day have gone out as planned, even when I’m supposed to be taking a break from it. And secondly, I have a teenage daughter whose friends all use social media while they’re on holiday. If I told her she couldn’t do her Snapchat streaks for a couple of weeks I would be, without a doubt, the worst mother in the world.

I feel that making sure she could keep in touch with her friends while we were away on holiday would mean I could ask for her help with other things without being moaned at for it. After all, the WiFi can easily be turned off if need be!

Beautiful Holiday Accommodation in The Algarve

If you’ve been following my blog for a while now, you might have read my travel bucket list, where I talked about the 5 places outside of the UK that I’d most like to visit at the moment. And The Algarve in Portugal made it to the very top of that list, so I’m sure it won’t come as any surprise that that’s the place I’ve been looking at on Clickstay. And I’ve actually managed to find a villa in Praia Da Luz that has all 3 of the things we want from our holiday accommodation. How cool is that? I’ve inserted a picture of it above for you to take a look at. Isn’t it beautiful? It’s situated close to the beach as well, which is a bonus as I’m sure Oscar would want to build sand castles or dig a hole to bury his big sister in while we were away.

And there you have it, our list of 3 things we want our holiday accommodation to have when we finally book to go abroad. Which reminds me, I’m going to need a new passport. Eek! I’ll  have to look into renewing that first thing tomorrow morning.

Would you make sure your holiday accommodation had these 3 things in when travelling abroad?
Or would you want something else? Let me know in the comments below!

Thanks for reading.

This post has been sponsored by Clickstay. All views are my own.

1. 09/08/2017 / 5:13 am

I would make sure my hotel had good security,close to tourist/places of interest and close to good places to EAT!!!

2. 09/08/2017 / 4:04 pm

Air conditioning is a must for me. I hate being all got and bothered. I would also have to have wifi. Can’t live without internet haha
    Kirsty recently posted…Jungle Jam In Brazil*My Profile

3. 09/08/2017 / 6:54 pm

I cannot imagine staying somewhere without Air Conditioning. It’s such a standard amenity here that I don’t even think to ask. Wi-fi I can live without because we don’t stay in the room most of the time. But if I had kids, I might feel differently.
    Alicia Taylor recently posted…How To Paint Positivity Rocks that encourage peopleMy Profile

4. 09/08/2017 / 8:46 pm

I love your list. I’m always torn about the WiFi though, because if it isn’t there I have to relax.

5. 10/08/2017 / 12:55 am

Honestly, that’s everything I’d want in a holiday home, too! As a millennial, I am indeed connected to the world online, so to have the option to use the internet is ideal, especially if I want to get a blog post up while I’m away or want to watch Netflix if my insomnia kicks in. I can’t imagine staying in the villa we stayed in Florida with no air conditioning – we’d have suffered big time!
    Jazmin Williams recently posted…4 affordable and easy Vegan recipes that are totally tastyMy Profile

6. 10/08/2017 / 2:29 am

I think we’d probably have similar preferences. It’s really cool that you managed to find the perfect place for your holiday!

7. Lynne Harper
    10/08/2017 / 12:25 pm

I would love to go somewhere that has a private pool and air con we have been on a few camping holidays with Eurocamp so we just have the large outdoor pools to play in.

8. 10/08/2017 / 1:53 pm

I have never traveled abroad but plan to make it happen soon. That Villa looks beautiful. Also, I have never heard of clickstay. I will have to have a look.
    Carrie Chance recently posted…Karma – Quote of the DayMy Profile

9. 10/08/2017 / 2:20 pm

Wifi is definitely a must!! I get so distressed when there’s none.

10. Dawn Nieves
    10/08/2017 / 2:49 pm

This is a great list. They’re all great but a private pool tops my wish list too.

11. 10/08/2017 / 4:32 pm

YES on the wifi. I try to disconnect when I can on vacay, but I NEED to at least have the option to get online. Haha!

12. 10/08/2017 / 5:29 pm

Oh a private pool would be lovely, I would definitely want that. Air con especially if hot and wifi – depends on how long I’m going for. If just a couple of days I can do without but anymore and yes I want wifi!

13. 11/08/2017 / 10:03 am

wow, I really love your list and my family would love to have a private pool for our vacation.

14. 11/08/2017 / 3:28 pm

wow wifi definitely how did we cope without it years ago!

15. 15/08/2017 / 9:10 am

Having a private pool would be incredible as you don’t have to worry about other people getting in the way etc x
    Rhian Westbury recently posted…Five Things – Week 78My Profile

16. 28/08/2017 / 5:13 pm

I could do without a private pool but I need WIFI and A/C when checking in a hotel. I can’t leave without A/C especially in the summer. Also the room has to be clean with a great view.

17. 28/08/2017 / 6:54 pm

It is that time of year for a european holiday. You are right on, on your 3 musts. I am sorry to say that I could not get on without my wifi. That is a big one for all in the family.

18. 28/08/2017 / 8:30 pm

A beautiful pool, wifi, and A/C are a must! Additionally, a stunning view, lovely linens and towels, a kitchen with nice cookware, a washer/dryer, and a location central to main attractions are other important things my family looks for in a vacation rental.

19. 28/08/2017 / 9:06 pm

I think I’d add 1 more thing to that list. Good food! When I came across point 2. I got so happy! Decent air con can be SO hard to find.
    Across the point we rarely get summer as you know, however whenever we go abroad we can’t hack the head!

Good food: because you can have a really nice stay,however if the food is rubbish that can damplen the experience.

20. 28/08/2017 / 10:53 pm

I so agree with your list! I’m not picky about the pool, but my daughter is 😉 She loves pools.

But I MUST have AC and WiFi. Must. I know people like to go off the grid. I’m not one of those people.

21. 29/08/2017 / 1:42 am

I can’t believe you have not traveled for so long. But I guess life take priority of course.

While pool is not a priority for me I am with you on AC and WiFi. I would also need a clean restroom. 😀

❥ tanvii.com

22. Claudia Krusch
    29/08/2017 / 2:55 am

I will have to check out the Clickstay website for our next holiday. I would love to have a villa with a private pool.

23. 29/08/2017 / 3:53 am

I didn’t even know there was such a thing as hotels without air conditioning! That would be awful. I think my list matches yours.

24. 29/08/2017 / 4:32 am

Your post is so true. I can’t live without wifi and having internet connection is a must for my holiday accommodations. Thanks for sharing.

25. 29/08/2017 / 12:09 pm

I need peace and quiet AND wifi. Can’t be without it as a blogger. I’d rather not have a private pool and swap that for wifi. =D

26. 29/08/2017 / 1:10 pm

I think here in the states, we take WiFi and air conditioning for granted. I have never stayed in a hotel that didn’t have both.

27. Jessica Taylor
    29/08/2017 / 3:45 pm

Air conditioner is at the top od my list for sure! I can do without a pool

28. 29/08/2017 / 4:40 pm

Looks like a wonderful hotel. You surely named all the essentials.

29. Kiwi
    29/08/2017 / 7:23 pm

AC is so important. Many of these tropical places are extremely hot and dry and I was in Bocas and my room sometimes didnt have A/C and I was miserable sometimes.

30. 30/08/2017 / 4:45 am

This looks so inviting and luxurious! I need a little getaway and some uninterrupted sunshine!

31. 30/08/2017 / 6:45 pm

That is everything that I would need as well, especially the AC! You can never go wrong with some uninterrupted alone time and a getaway! Thanks for sharing!